Booster

School trip dilemma

19 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

My eight year old daughter is due to go on a school trip to London on 8th June. The day of the Election.

Given recent events and the fact it is a significant day, I am more than a little uncomfortable with this.

My wife has volunteered to go with them but as so many parents have offered to go, we don't know which parents are going.

I have sent texts out to the parents that I have numbers for to gauge their opinion and also had a chat with the school. Other parents are split 50/50 about sending their child and so far only two out of 60 children have said that they aren't going.

What would you do?

Edited by Booster

I don't see any difference to any other day in all honesty.

London is London and a general election day is, if anything, going to see even more security.

I'd let her go.

I wouldn't let her go.

Yes, I completely get that we should "keep calm and carry on", but this is all about risk and minimising it.

I spend half my life taking people out doing high risk outdoor activities.  I am constantly assessing the situation the whole time I have a group out and I will regularly make the call that something we were planning to do is too high risk.  If it was just me, I would do it, but when I'm assessing the risk to other people, I'll decide the risk is too high.

Right now, and for the next couple of weeks, especially around the election, London is too high risk to visit.

Alarmist or not, this is about your child.

Posted (edited)

I would let mine go personally, I understand why you may not though.

I don't see London as being any higher risk than anywhere else in the country, or anywhere in Europe for that matter.

Edited by Tipex

If this bloke can deliver milk...IMG_2663.JPG

When 3 million people commute to work every day in London you get a sense of the risk, near zero and being a bit fatalist, what will be will be.

Nothing would stop me using a bar, a favourite restaurant, a venue in London- unless its closed :)

p.s. he wasn't a milkman.  He was a photographers assistant and the shot was completely staged.

I'm in the west end on the 8th :secret: not that should put you off send the kids there  :uhoh:

1 person likes this

A personal decision with no right or wrong. 

For me stopping doing something would be the first time ... and then I'd justify another and another until I'm avoiding more and more and living in fear.

Feck that.

Work said work from home the on Wed and Thu. I went in on Weds as did most people. At home today due to other reasons.

After the Parliament attack I took my family there for a planned visit a week (may have been two) later.

I'm vigilant for sure but I have been for decades.

The reason I said to let her go ahead was based on the fact we don't know where their next target is.

With Manchester being attacked, why is London more likely?  It could be Newcastle, Birmingham or Leicester.  

Do we stop our kids going out altogether?

However, I would still let my kids go on a trip to London.  No worries.

There are dangers nowhere and everywhere, home and abroad.

Have the recent attacks stopped you (or anyone) from flying or booking a holiday?

I can understand your concern entirely.

I don't see this as a "won't let them cow us" type situation though.

I'm with NNMM here though. Security on that day will be if anything higher.

What we have learned if no place in the world or any major city here is any safer or more dangerous than any other. It is sheer misfortune and pot luck.

Call it principles, call it ignorance, call it never happen to me, call it whatever the feck you want I will NEVER allow the twisted misguided visions of the few to rule my life and my freedom 'till the day I die!

1 person likes this

There are plenty of holiday destinations I won't even consider right now.  Tunisia, Egypt and Turkey being three of them.  I just see those as being risks I can avoid without much trouble.

However, London on general election day isn't something I'd perceive as more of a risk than, say, Leicester on election day.  In many respects, they've shown they'll target anywhere and anything, so London isn't necessarily going to be higher on their list.  It could be argued it is now a less likely target due to the increased security measures.

Let's be honest, how many of us would have said "It'll be a pop concert in Manchester where the majority are teenage girls".  That's the most terrifying thing of all, we could all make decisions based on what we perceive to be targets, but the reality is that nothing appears to be out of bounds for them.

I agree. I spent time pondering what they'd done, what respect they have for life and what impact they want to have. I horrified myself with the very soft targets that I thought of. I wouldn't be challenging the high security locations.

I'll now go and rinse my brain out with soap as the thoughts make me feel sick and dirty :(

What worries and upsets me is that the planners had generally honed their thinking in war zones.

but if you look around the world, even in Iraq, Afghanistan they really upped the ante and hsve in the past few days slaughtered innocents at ice cream parlours etc

ditto moving brazenly into places like the Philippines. It just fills me with foreboding and impending doom.

but more practical I guess it means that nowhere is any more safe or dangerous than anywhere else. It's just random 

I'd let mine go - we were due to go and see Arianna Grande on Friday at the O2 and were still going until the concert was cancelled. There is risk, but there is risk everywhere - as many minsters will be in home constituencies you might argue that places outside of London have a greater risk.

I fully understand your concern, but I wouldn't consider this to be higher risk than many other activities on Thursday.

2 people like this

Thanks for your thoughts folks.

The school sent out an email to all parents last week asking for our thoughts on the trip. I know many were even more concerned after Saturday's atrocity.

We got this email from the school yesterday:

Dear Parents/Carers,

Thank you for all the feedback and conversations that myself and other members of the senior leadership team and teachers have had with you regarding the year 3 trip to London on Thursday. We have appreciated your openness and the constructive conversations that we have had with you regarding both your concerns and your support for the trip to go ahead.

Taking all of these factors into consideration, as well as the potential delays that may be caused in London due to the election and any possible actions seeking to maximise publicity on this day, as well as the potential emotional impact on pupils, staff and parents I have made the decision to cancel the trip.

This is very regrettable and I know that the children will be disappointed, as will the staff who were very excited about the impact that this visit would have on the children’s learning. However in light of all the discussions that we have had I feel that this is the correct decision.

I have asked Mrs  to speak to both year 3 classes to explain the decision and I know that both her and Mr  will be looking to do something creative with the children on Thursday.

At this time I would expect that it would not be possible or advisable to rearrange the trip, but should this situation change we will inform parents in due course.

I really appreciate your support in this matter.

Many thanks

Mr

I appreciate that we shouldn't let these b*stards change our daily actions but these are 8 year old children not grown adults.

1 person likes this

I can't say I disagree with the decision. Those of us that work with vulnerable people or children are bound by a duty of care. 

Fun, interesting and educational are lovely words. 

Safety trumps them. 

3 people like this

Fair enough when you have some many kids to look after like that.

As a family trip, I would still go.  But as it is a school trip - fair decision.

1 person likes this