Hmmmmm

shao_khan

Was in Swindon Porsche today to look at a Macan GTS to replace out car with.

While there saw this little thing:

http://locator.porsche.com/ipl-customer/ipl/details/details.ipl?cid=1

I love it, think it looks great.  What is the thoughts on the 924 though - likely to see much increase in value?  I'm quite tempted to buy it for a summer run around.

I'm not a fan of the black.  The one thing about the white one that annoyed me was the dash was split. They've done a rebuild but left the dash, makes me wonder what else they over looked.

Swindon had a couple of nice older 911's as well :D

1 pack of KP salted penuts for the Merc?

• Like 1

It's no secret that I'm not generally much of a Porsche fan, but the 924 I've never liked.

By modern standards it'll be a struggle, you'll get overtaken by boggo diesel family saloons and Prius, and it's just never looked right to me, neither aggressive nor pretty enough for a sports car, I do like old school stuff, but I've never had a soft spot for the 924 and it's wheezing van engine*.

*comment made purely to annoy resident Porsche nerd Eldavo.

Edited by Tipex

924 Turbo, yes.  Any other 924, no.

944 Turbo or, even better, a 944 Cab, yes.

928, absolutely.

I still don't understand who pays the kind of money for 924's that those cars are advertised at, if anyone.  You've got to be a real enthusiast of the brand/model or someone with far too much money to spend and not bothered what you blow it on.

• Like 2

924 Turbo or 944 Turbo are where the money has been going. 

924 Turbos suffer from the Turbos dying and some ignition parts too - they are NLA and aftermarket replacements are horrifically expensive. 

A 944T made £34k IIRC at auction recently but it was a multiple concours winner. My mate sold his 944 Turbo S 2 weeks ago for £18k. Tidy car, not completely original and over 100k miles but still a fair price. 

Lots of crap being punted around at silly money, if I had the best part of £20k to spend it wouldn't be on a 944/968. 987 Boxsters or Caymans are fantastic VFM - early/leggy 981s are dipping around £20k too. 

On 6/8/2017 at 6:19 PM, eldavo69 said:

If anyone wants a silver B-reg 928 S2 that's had a full restoration for sensible money then my mate Ian has one for sale. 

Go on. How much?

Back to the 924 - They're cracking fun to drive but with soooo many made, even special edition stuff like the Le Mans edition isn't worth much. Sure, they'll appreciate, but so will everything else from that era it seems. 

Tipex, you poof, drive one (hard) and you'll get the bug. 

On 3 June 2017 at 10:27 PM, shao_khan said:

Was in Swindon Porsche today to look at a Macan GTS to replace out car with.

SK, have you got an existing Macan you are about to replace with the GTS

If you decide to p/x could you drop me a PM +++

• Like 1

11 hours ago, theduisbergkid said:

Go on. How much?

Back to the 924 - They're cracking fun to drive but with soooo many made, even special edition stuff like the Le Mans edition isn't worth much. Sure, they'll appreciate, but so will everything else from that era it seems. 

I think £15k would take it

Hi Max,  we've been looking at a GTS for a while, the problem is that ours is now 2 years old, 24k miles and very much part of the family and every time we look we are really struggling to chop it in.  I'd love a bit more power, but everything else the car does is fantastic.  All I'm missing other than power is a tow bar and that can be retro fitted for a jaw dropping price.

Mine is a Sapphire blue 2.0t petrol., it still looks good, people still stop and look (not many bright blue barges around I guess) and other than a slight niggle with the sat nav i'd thoroughly recommend one.  If you look at the Audi offering, make sure you drive back to back int he same day.  the SQ5 is probably a little quicker in a straight line, but once you start driving it around corners the Macan drives like a car, you do feel the weight, but its sat a lot lower than the audi so it deals with it all very well. 

If I do decide to get rid i'll let you know.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, theduisbergkid said:

They just don't interest me at all, they looked cheap when new, they just look old and cheap now, I quite like the 944 but I don't think I'd ever buy one myself, the 928 I could see myself in, or at least I could have done a couple of years ago when you could get a late model one for sensible money, but not any more, 15k for a B reg (regardless of restoration) is just silly money in my opinion.

Sadly that's happening with most cars from the 70's 80's and early 90's now, regardless of the badge, or if they were even any good back in the day, the ship has sailed for buying 'modern' classics for sensible money, we got in just at the end for Scumball when they were at the bottom of the market, try finding some of those cars for less than a grand these days.

If I ever sell the Impreza, which given the way current values are going up is unlikely, I'd be looking at much newer stuff for having fun in, for example, I reckon the Fiat Panda 100HP is fecking cracking car for the money at the moment.

2 hours ago, theduisbergkid said:

Is your Impreza alive, Tipex?

Kinda, it hasn't moved (or even been started) for two years, but I'm sticking a battery on it this week as I need to move it so some work can be done to the drive/garden.

I fully expect it to fire up on the first turn of the key, I'll wash the mould/moss off, order a new exhaust for it as the original ProDrive* one was blowing last time I drove it, then I'll park it back up once the work has finished until September when it gets it's rusty rear arches sorted and an MOT.

*anyine got any idea if you can still buy an OE ProDrive exhaust? Don't want aftermarket but might not have a choice.

Edited by Tipex

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update the above, I took the old battery to my mechanic, who stuck it on his charger and it appeared to take a charge so we left it on all day, his tester said it was ok and at the specs it should be, so I took it home, stuck it in the Subaru and crossed my fingers as I turned the key for the first time in god knows how long*.

I needn't have bothered, it fired up on the first turn of the key and burbled away happily thereafter, forgotten how much I like that sound.

It had to crack it's own brakes off as I moved it despite it being left parked in gear with the handbrake off all those years but it's out of the way and a skip has moved in to it's place so the building work can start in earnest, haven't washed the mould of yet though.

*Rich, I was with you last time I drove it, can't even remember which track it was let alone how many years ago!