Insurance quote

Mort

I have just been talking to my son (19) about insurance on his car. He has a Mazda MX5. Old , cheap and a bit tatty but gets him about. Worth £2,000. His insurance here in NZ costs £30 ($55) per month. Fully comp.

Just for fun I,  went on confused.co.uk for a quote for the same thing in the UK. Same conditions as here at my old address.

£9500 was the cheapest quote. 

I knew youngsters basically can't have a car in the UK but jesus.... if that is not a measure of how bad insurance is in the UK I don't what is.

insurance.jpg

Edited by Mort

Our eldest (25) pays £1,100 on her 5 year old Audi A1 1.4 TFSI S-Line.  That's with no claims on it (I mean 6 years no claims bonus).  Her first premium on a MINI Cooper was £2,300.

However, Lloyds had me laughing my socks off when the renewal on my 78,000 mile, 4 year old, 520d, worth tuppence (maybe £11k) went from £300 to.....£828.

I had, admittedly, accumulated a further 3 points (giving me 6), but really?  :roflmao:

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

Another one. Last year road tax for my A8 went down from $158 ( £87) per year to $88 (£48). This year it went down again to $74 (£41). Road tax is mainly based on safety of the vehicle. Bike tax is pricey $560 ( £ 311).

Hi Mort,

You still in the Whangaparaoa area?  Our daughter has moved from Tindall's Bay Road to Millwater (Timberland Drive) and a much nicer house although to my mind the rent is horrendous for what it is at around $800 a week!!  We have been coming out to NZ mid-Jan to mid-Mar for a few years now but the exchange rates for £ to NZ$ is starting to hurt and rentals where we like to stay (Orewa Beach) are getting more and more expensive so don't know if we'll make it next January.

I agree that insurance rates are cheap in NZ compared to UK and France where we are, my Jag XF costs €98 a month to insure here and the Kangoo around €56 a month.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lussac said:

Hi Mort,

You still in the Whangaparaoa area?  Our daughter has moved from Tindall's Bay Road to Millwater (Timberland Drive) and a much nicer house although to my mind the rent is horrendous for what it is at around $800 a week!!  We have been coming out to NZ mid-Jan to mid-Mar for a few years now but the exchange rates for £ to NZ$ is starting to hurt and rentals where we like to stay (Orewa Beach) are getting more and more expensive so don't know if we'll make it next January.

I agree that insurance rates are cheap in NZ compared to UK and France where we are, my Jag XF costs €98 a month to insure here and the Kangoo around €56 a month.

Hi Lussac - yes still in the area. Lots of new houses in the Millwater area. House prices and rents have gone absolutely nuts here. Lack of housing supply and demand from around the world. Its a bad situation for the next generation. Exchange rates are bad from the UK . We still have pension schemes in the UK - the pound has fallen a lot. Selling at the top of the house market here and going back to the Uk would be a smart financial move but I am not sure we would do that.  Rentals in Orewa are a bit prime... plenty of good choice else where. Hope you can make it back next year.