cabby

Supercar megabuild - 100k heap of $hit

12 posts in this topic

So it's a slow night on TV + been a long day and just want something easy to watch hence title thread.  A google of Prindville leads to a look at their used car stock and this 'item'.  I remember watching this episode a while back and thinking it was an 'interesting' take on a RR . . . but £100k . . plllllease. 

https://www.prindiville.co.uk/supercars-for-sale/custom-rolls-royce-silver-shadow-1979/

Edited by cabby

WTF is a hydraulic rear brake?  Is that the big slab of milled aluminium lever thing?  So it can do a Seb Loeb to get round a corner?

For drifting init :)  Go to 40:00 of the video for why it was fitted.   The most pikey RR you will ever see.  

8 hours ago, cruiser647 said:

WTF is a hydraulic rear brake?  Is that the big slab of milled aluminium lever thing?  So it can do a Seb Loeb to get round a corner?

What it is is an error (pedant mode on) because pretty much all cars for the last 50 years have hydraulic rear brakes, it should say "Hydraulic handbrake" and no, the big slab of milled aluminium" is the hydraulic handbrake lever (pedant mode off) I thank you!

Well, the lever is damned ugly.

Looks like something i would have created in first yr practice in a lathe and mill.

1 person likes this

Unless it also has a mechanical handbrake it'll fail it's first MOT as well, there must be a mechanical (i.e. not hydraulic) handbrake.

1 hour ago, Tipex said:

Unless it also has a mechanical handbrake it'll fail it's first MOT as well, there must be a mechanical (i.e. not hydraulic) handbrake.

Pretty sure my 5-series only has an electronic handbrake - presume that's considered mechanical if the above is true?

1 minute ago, cabby said:

Pretty sure my 5-series only has an electronic handbrake - presume that's considered mechanical if the above is true?

Yes same here, I have an electronic parking brake so I asked my MOT man, his response is - the mechanism is still mechanical as the pads are wound in by a motor, so gets around the rules, hydraulic handbrakes can have a latching mechanism to hold the pads against the disc, but it is at the mercy of the fluid not leaking or expanding/contracting in fluctuating temperatures.

1 hour ago, cabby said:

electronic handbrake

There is another case of technology for the sake of technology if ever there was one!

I know, let's put a £100 actuator where a £30 cable & lever has worked perfectly for decades!

Talk about another thing to go wrong!

2 hours ago, E-bmw said:

There is another case of technology for the sake of technology if ever there was one!

I know, let's put a £100 actuator where a £30 cable & lever has worked perfectly for decades!

Talk about another thing to go wrong!

I had a new rear caliper fitted last month, it was £80 fitted and has the electronic control module and motor inside it, not a lot more expensive than having a cable replaced and a lot quicker.

And that's before you look at the other benefits of an electronic parking brake, such as hill hold assist, auto release (for the ladies) and a much nicer centre console without a big stick pointing out of it.

I'm told some ladies quite like a big stick poking out of their centre console. 

2 people like this

Those are lady boys, real women prefer it poking in their centre console! 

2 people like this