cruiser647

MOTs in older cars

19 posts in this topic

The Government MOT checking website is a boon!

Checking on old cars for daughter number 2 and it I see amazing how many smaller cars have failed once they get to 3 yrs old!!

Some have failed every year for  6 yrs!  And the cars are only 9 yrs old!!!!

Naturally, we can ignore headlamp, indicator, bumper light type failures, can ignore the windscreen wiper smearing type issues too, but many have suspension failures, so I would presume people are launching themselves on road humps!!  Or straddling the smaller humps.  Many have emission issues too.  

It is a good site to check for common issues for the same type of vehicle.

1 person likes this

I have to admit that when looking at second-hand cars recently I do have a good look through to check on failure issues as an indication of abuse/lack of maintenance level.

I would look for failures due to low tyre tread.  Why?

Well, if they can't afford to or be bothered to check and change one of the most important consumable items on a car, what else haven't they given a feck about?

1 person likes this

I think tyres are one of the largest reasons for failure. Many people just see a car as an alliance that they just run and run and service when it tells them (most of the time). I think we lose some of reality of how other people think about their cars. 

A colleague recently got a 1.0 Audi A3 for his commute of a very good leasing deal. I mentioned that must be fun 0-60 once a week car, his response was it does all the speed limits it gets me from A-B and its reliable what else do I need. 

It was a good point well made, it was a utility for him and pretty much nothing more. 

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, NewNiceMrMe said:

I would look for failures due to low tyre tread.  Why?

Well, if they can't afford to or be bothered to check and change one of the most important consumable items on a car, what else haven't they given a feck about?

There were in fact quite a few that had failures due to tyres being down to the threads or metals braids.

Even walking down the road, if a tyre I see sticking out where the driver has left the wheel turned, I glance at the thread.  The amount that are bald or at least well below the limit is surprising!!!

And I am not just talking about older or cheaper looking cars, many BMW/Audi and Mercs etc are  amongst this lot.

Edited by cruiser647

I've noticed a lot of big SUV recently with slick looking tyres - Q7/X5/ML etc that are a few years old with tread levels I can't believe are legal

42 minutes ago, chasdrury said:

I've noticed a lot of big SUV recently with slick looking tyres - Q7/X5/ML etc that are a few years old with tread levels I can't believe are legal

And you can't hide them by straightening the wheel! :roflmao:

8 hours ago, CarMad said:

I think tyres are one of the largest reasons for failure. Many people just see a car as an alliance that they just run and run and service when it tells them (most of the time). I think we lose some of reality of how other people think about their cars. 

A colleague recently got a 1.0 Audi A3 for his commute of a very good leasing deal. I mentioned that must be fun 0-60 once a week car, his response was it does all the speed limits it gets me from A-B and its reliable what else do I need. 

It was a good point well made, it was a utility for him and pretty much nothing more. 

I take it you mean appliance?

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, cruiser647 said:

There were in fact quite a few that had failures due to tyres being down to the threads or metals braids.

Even walking down the road, if a tyre I see sticking out where the driver has left the wheel turned, I glance at the thread.  The amount that are bald or at least well below the limit is surprising!!!

And I am not just talking about older or cheaper looking cars, many BMW/Audi and Mercs etc are  amongst this lot.

I tend to look at the tread myself!

WOO HOO!  2 - 0 today!

2 people like this

For those who may not be aware the website has been updated and now gives the name and address of where the MOT took place. 

1 hour ago, Cuprabob said:

For those who may not be aware the website has been updated and now gives the name and address of where the MOT took place. 

That's really interesting, thanks for highlighting it. +++

On 23/08/2017 at 6:41 AM, E-bmw said:

WOO HOO!  2 - 0 today!

Actually, it's "Woo-Hoo" :roflmao:

2 people like this

My Mum bought a new Fiat Panda in the 80s, and it failed its first MOT at 3 years old on tyres, suspension and clutch. 

Totally due to rubbish Italian handiwork, of course, and nothing to do with me learning to drive in it. 

The car I learnt to drive in didn't make it to its first MoT. :devil:

2 people like this

One of my old Company Passats didn't make it to to 4 1/2 years :grin:

IMG_1952.PNG

Does that mean it's been crashed and is sitting in a Copart compound somewhere?

It probably means it's driving around Keighley as a minicab.

3 people like this

I also checked my Laguna which i blew the engine in at 2 years old and 95k, this is now doing the rounds up near Middlesborough.