Andy_Bangle

Pile up on the M65 in heavy fog

7 posts in this topic

Some lucky escapes, amazed how quickly that fog appeared.

Don't know what that fool in the white Merc was doing at that speed in the fog.  Utter fool.

Surprised it took the camera car so long to move to the hard shoulder and verge.  Even the lorry got a smack as it shunts forward a bit.  

Very poor standards of driving all round.  :(

I'm actually surprised at the speeds people go at on this one. Idiots!! Its fog, visibility is reduced to less than 10 - 20m after the exit arrow. Slow the eff down!!!

3 hours ago, cruiser647 said:

Don't know what that fool in the white Merc was doing at that speed in the fog.  Utter fool.

Surprised it took the camera car so long to move to the hard shoulder and verge.  Even the lorry got a smack as it shunts forward a bit.  

Very poor standards of driving all round.  :(

Agree with every bit of the above. It seems no matter how safe you drive yourself, there will always be some cock who completely f**ks it up for you.

That's why I hate motorways in bad conditions, even moreso when they're busy. Your options for avoiding the repercussions of other people driving like lobotomised jizzflutes can quickly disappear.

6 hours ago, Andy_Bangle said:

amazed how quickly that fog appeared

Have to disagree with that, it was building up all the time in the distance & IMHO any experienced driver driving to the conditions should have been slowing down well before then!

1 person likes this

I think driving in fog is something that you only learn how difficult it can be until you've been on the road for a long time.

I have a degree of sympathy with younger drivers although they should know to slow down dramatically.  

It deceives your eyes and the blinding effect of it is what can be as lethal as speed.  However, the experienced driver knows it is possibly even worse then a heavy blizzard of snow or torrential rain - and slows to watch the havoc take place in the distance.

I remember seeing a major incident on the A1 through fog, or should I say through the lunacy of reps and families eager to get to their next appointment or holiday destination in the fast lane.  Car after car went past me at 70-80 mph when visibility must have been 100 yards at best with a very thick fog.  

Sure enough, a few miles down the road, hazard lights appeared in the distance and there they all were - about 15 cars in a very nasty pile of debris.  I think there were 2 fatalities in that too,