Andy_Bangle

The new TVR Griffith

20 posts in this topic

The new TVR, designed by Gordon Murray, is back ... (again) Would I have one? yes! Would I buy one? no.

There are no turbos here. There’s no four-wheel drive or paddle-shift transmission. No sign of an electric motor or fancy drive modes. The noise it makes will be real enough, not synthetically piped into the cabin. What you do get is V8 grunt up front, side exhausts, six-speed manual ‘box, rear diff and two whopping 20-inch wishbone-suspended wheels whose 275/30 tyres are single-handedly responsible for providing traction. Driver aids? Nope. Drift mode? You can be assured of it, and it will be controlled by the right foot rather than any button. And the steering? TVR purists will be eager to try that: it’s electrically assisted.

The engine is a 5.0-litre Ford V8 “enhanced” by Cosworth. Power and torque are not yet confirmed but we assume it has around 500bhp in order to achieve the longstanding power-weight target of 400bhp/tonne. The new Griffith weighs in at 1250kg. 

The V8 is set low and back in the chassis for what TVR says is 50-50 weight distribution. As for its size, the Griffith is 170mm (6ins) shorter, 75mm (3ins) narrower and 70mm (almost 3ins) lower than a Jaguar F-type. If 1250kg turns out to be accurate, it will also weigh around 300kg less than the Jag.

https://www.goodwood.com/grrc/event-coverage/goodwood-revival/2017/9/the-new-tvr-griffith--everything-you-need-to-know/

tvr_grifith_goodwood_08092017_522.jpg

2 people like this

Bloody hell!!!  That does look rather good!!!

Damn sweet and in that colour, makes a great launch colour!  Needs to make the typical, distinctive TVR grunt sound from that V8 and I am sure it will.

How the hell do they get the exhausts to exit there and pass the required EU sound regs?

Driver aides....  I think it might need some as most people these days are pretty used to them and will not know how or what to do without them!!!

Edited by cruiser647

Of course that looks nothing like an earlier co-design from the house of Mc Laren then.

slr.jpg

7 hours ago, Andy_Bangle said:

Would I have one? yes! Would I buy one? no.

Well said, possibly the case for many enthusiasts. +++

That TVR will look fantastic on the hard shoulder waiting for the AA, RAC or any other breakdown truck :grin:

I suspect there is an Insignia close by on bricks as they seem to.have stolen their alloys.

Edited by Cuprabob

1 minute ago, Cuprabob said:

That TVR will look fantastic on the hard shoulder waiting for the AA, RAC or any other breakdown truck :grin:

It's a TVR, it will need all of the above at the same time. 

I should point out that a certain Patently that unfortunately doesn't frequent this forum was heavily involved in helping with the patents for the car and its Gordon Murray genius. +++

Yours a proud TSN member. Cheers Patently, you are welcome back anytime. :beer:+++

3 people like this

7 hours ago, CarMad said:

I should point out that a certain Patently that unfortunately doesn't frequent this forum was heavily involved in helping with the patents for the car and its Gordon Murray genius. +++

Yours a proud TSN member. Cheers Patently, you are welcome back anytime. :beer:+++

Now I know I have been busy and not on here as much as I used to be - what happened with Patently?

As for the TVR falling apart - hopefully not!

Put up the flags, TVR is back! The new Griffith’s debut at Revival is certainly a big day for Les Edgar. He told us: “This is the culmination of nearly three years of tireless work and we’re all proud as punch. The Griffith is unmistakably a TVR, a British muscle car that’s as awesome and brutal as it is charismatic and refined.” 

There’s one more thing promised with the new car, something that won’t be lost on TVR owners of old: it won’t fall apart. As Les Edgar says: “The car will offer reliability and practicality never seen by the brand before.”

Yeah, what happened to Patently?

I watched the live stream yesterday and have to say that I felt a little underwhelmed when it was revealed. Having had a little more time to think about why and look at some more pics, I think it's because it's a long way from what we have come to expect (and love?) about TVR - it seems to have take styling cues from several different cars. The front (and in particular the headlights) looks like a Marcos (with a bit of Mac 720s thrown in) and the back looks like a Toyota FT1.

I like it from the rear 3/4 and the rear face-on but as much as I try, I just can't get to grips with the front view - it just doesn't scream TVR to me. I think that they could have done so much more with it. 

Not completely sold on the interior either. Historically, this has been where TVRs excelled - its 'ok' and there are bit that I like but equally, I think there are bits, such as the speedo console, that look horrendous. It looks like they had a gap and just plonked a rectangular unit of some description in there - it just doesn't flow like a TVR should.

I'm sure it will sound amazing (if those side exits are allowed) and I wish them every sucesss, particularly (and selfishly) because I hope it will push the value of mine up, but if I was in the market for a sub £90k sports cars, I'd be looking closely at the new Corvette (C8?). They look similar but I think the Corvette is a better looking all-round package. And I'd be willing to bet that it sounds ok as well......

Edited by Pincher

21 minutes ago, Pincher said:

Yeah, what happened to Patently?

Probably got fed up waiting for the site to load;)

2 people like this

I had a good look up close at the TVR at the weekend. Has no-one pointed out that one door is a different shade of red to the rest of the rear 3/4 panel? That aside, it looked very very well put together, much better than TVR of old. I was very impressed. I hope they're a great success. 

Patently is busy elsewhere online, I see. :)

2 people like this

Patently's busy doing lots of racing and patenting and stuff. Those who know him know why he left.

I quite like the new Trevor. It needs to be different from the old Trevors in almost every way if it is going to succeed.

Gone but not forgotten, it seems :lol:

Yes, I've helped with the patent work on this - I recognise the room that the car is sitting in...! This has been in development for a good while, but obviously I can't say too much about that process.  The chassis tech is quite something, multiple patents/patent applications are involved in it, and it should be fantastic to drive.  500hp in a properly lightweight chassis is really exciting. 

As for the looks, imho it looks absolutely wonderful.  And it's red, too, which is obviously the bestest and fastest.

(Thanks for the tip, Mr G...)

6 people like this

20 hours ago, theduisbergkid said:

Has no-one pointed out that one door is a different shade of red to the rest of the rear 3/4 panel?

An authentic TVR touch, I suspect?

1 person likes this

Welcome back Mr P. :)

1 person likes this

Nice to see you back Patently...

1 person likes this

What they said. +++

1 person likes this

crashed anything lately, on film, Mr P?  :)

7 hours ago, Rachel said:

No, but he did go swimming at Snetterton race track.  Well, it looked like it, as it was posing down so much!!!

13 hours ago, Rachel said:

2017 has been a quiet and gentle year.  Mainly because 2016 very much wasn't.