The £1k mobile phone

Arch

On 13/09/2017 at 4:43 AM, Rachel said:

I am still happily chomping along on my Samsung S6 Edge + on Android 7.   Will probably look very closely at the OnePlus 5T when I decide life is not fraught enough and decide I need a new one...

Me too.  My green S6 Edge still looks new and I won't be changing it until I really have too.

27 minutes ago, E-bmw said:

Jesus H Christ do all you Apple fan-boys have a chip on your shoulder or something?

Do you not see the irony of that statement?

You ask if people have a chip on their shoulders yet you immediately brand anyone who might consider a product to be impressive to be an Apple fan boy.

You've just demonstrated exactly why the conversation on these things is so predictable.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NewNiceMrMe said:

Do you not see the irony of that statement?

You ask if people have a chip on their shoulders yet you immediately brand anyone who might consider a product to be impressive to be an Apple fan boy.

You've just demonstrated exactly why the conversation on these things is so predictable.  

Actually, I think you will find that nowhere have I said it isn't impressive, just that I won't be considering one.

3 hours ago, NewNiceMrMe said:

I'll be getting an iPhone X.

I wouldn't even contemplate an iPhone 8 because I don't see the point in investing in a device that became a legacy product 15 minutes after it was launched.

I will be getting either an 8 or X. Currently using a 5. I'm not a heavy phone user so I know an 8 is more than enough for my requirements. 

Then I read comments like the above and feel that anything other than the X is a poor choice. 

Will wait for the initial rush to die down and will make a decision once real world feedback is available. 

Still a lot of money any way you look at it. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, E-bmw said:

Jesus H Christ do all you Apple fan-boys have a chip on your shoulder or something?

Do you think we should all lay down our lives & wallets to the god of apple?

Arch opened up a thread with the word "discuss" so we express an opinion & not all are to lay our wallets & lives in front of whatever the feck his name is & his business plan, so we must all be luddites apparently!

Admittedly, it is a bloody good business plan.  This will grow their business (cash pile) by some way, and as above, will keep more people in the Apple fold.  Kerching!!!!!

Not too much competition really, since Nokia/MS fecked up, Samsung fecked up and Blackberry stood watching their market get eaten.

For my work I can choose any android or apple device - alas my desk currently has iPhone 7, 7 plus, s8 plus, s7 edge on it. A few years ago I couldn't stand apple phones till the 5S I think. Now, I never pick up anything to take home than an iPhone. Yes they aren't as customisable as an android, the X may be perceived as catching up with other android phones but they (iPhones) just work. They do what they do, and do it well. no lag like I find on android after a handful of apps open and menus are simple (especially compared to the over complicated Samsung system). Whichever iPhone you pick up you know where everything is.

Definately not a fan boy - no other apple equipment (I have tried to like macs but can't get into them). As a tool the iPhone is great

Regarding the price - I am pretty sure but I'd have to check, the 7+ I am writing this on was very close to £1k on launch so it's not a big difference to this.

I'll not be queueing up at Apples door, but I will get an X in the month or two after release, Mrs T says she'll be happy with the 8 so she'll get one of those.

As A_B says, current exchange rate means you could pick it up for around £750 in the US so that's what I may do, pretty annoying Apple just switch the $ sign to a £ one but they aren't the first to do that and won't be the last, but at that price it isn't much more than an 8 anyway (at U.K. Price), won't bother stretching to the 256GB one though, 64 will be more than enough.

You need to be careful they aren't the same phone and the US models won't support all UK networks. 

I've ordered an 8 Plus. Not sold on Face ID for many reasons and I don't feel its obsolete at all. Its like saying that you wouldn't buy an older model car to drive when many do. So does that mean if you don't drive the very latest Merc or BMW then its obsolete and you are an idot for driving it, really don't get that. 

Face ID from what I've seen isn't as slick as I'd like and its only for once person to one phone. I regularly share my phone with my wife and the kids sometimes use it, I would end up putting the code in all the time in that case.

Plus its understood they wanted to have a touch ID as an under-display option but time and manufacturing issues stopped it and they went with Face ID only; I think they would like to have gone with both for a reason.

Must admit I want to try an X, but suspect I'll end up with the 8 plus. 

It's interesting there were all the rumours about them not being able to get TouchID working through the glass - that and the early code betas indicated Face & TouchID would be available? 

It's an odd one. Everything about the X tells me I want it - the sceen estate/form factor for example. The removal of TouchID is bugging me though! 

Arguably the new method of unlocking - and removing the TouchID - will drive upgrades on the iPads too :) Ever had two similar devices with two different unlock methods? It's infuriating :P

19 minutes ago, CarMad said:

Face ID from what I've seen isn't as slick as I'd like and its only for once person to one phone. I regularly share my phone with my wife and the kids sometimes use it, I would end up putting the code in all the time in that case.

Plus its understood they wanted to have a touch ID as an under-display option but time and manufacturing issues stopped it and they went with Face ID only; I think they would like to have gone with both for a reason.

GM iOS 11 seems to support multiple faces.

6 minutes ago, Mac said:

GM iOS 11 seems to support multiple faces.

That would certainly make things better. 

I'm moving from an iPhone 6 so it will be a mega leap either way, I can jump again in 12 months if I want, I've gone for another SIMO deal which was cheaper than getting the full 2 year Voda contract even with a 15% discount, so got the phone outright. 

Yes, you do. It's no different to TouchID on that front. There's a common thing I see with people assuming that Apple Pay only works while you're physically authenticating - I.e. You have to have your finger on the TouchID while paying.

You don't.

Start ApplePay/Wallet, auth, take finger off, and then touch on NF terminal.

Understand why people do that, it's not massively intuitive to tell you you can do otherwise. 

Will be same for FaceID. Open Wallet, Auth, touch.

• Like 1

Yep as above, you would need get phone out of pocket, double tap the screen to make it an apple pay payment, whilst looking at the screen, place phone against the terminal. 

Not much different to paying by finger print, easiest way is with a watch for ease. Thats just a double tap of the side button and place watch against reader. 

1 hour ago, Mac said:

Yes, you do. It's no different to TouchID on that front. There's a common thing I see with people assuming that Apple Pay only works while you're physically authenticating - I.e. You have to have your finger on the TouchID while paying.

You don't.

Start ApplePay/Wallet, auth, take finger off, and then touch on NF terminal.

Understand why people do that, it's not massively intuitive to tell you you can do otherwise. 

Will be same for FaceID. Open Wallet, Auth, touch.

Well there you go, never knew you could do that, sometimes the terminals positions are even awkward to hold you finger on the reader, problem solved!

14 hours ago, Tipex said:

As A_B says, current exchange rate means you could pick it up for around £750 in the US so that's what I may do, pretty annoying Apple just switch the $ sign to a £ one but they aren't the first to do that and won't be the last, but at that price it isn't much more than an 8 anyway (at U.K. Price), won't bother stretching to the 256GB one though, 64 will be more than enough.

I read that the $/£ issue isn't as punitive as first appears, as the US price doesn't include State sales taxes - whereas the UK price includes VAT.

3 hours ago, Soulboy said:

I read that the $/£ issue isn't as punitive as first appears, as the US price doesn't include State sales taxes - whereas the UK price includes VAT.

Indeed, sales tax is in the region of 5-9% depending on state and/or city of purchase.

There are 5 states with 0% tax and most of the tourist destinations are under 8.5% eg: NY from 4%, Florida 6%, Nevada from 4.6%, California 6.5%. So there's still a big saving to be had (if you're heading that way and are prepared to walk through the Green channel on your return) as with today's rate $999 = £736.

You could also use a reputable US mail forwarding company, which tend to be based in Oregon or New Hampshire which are 0% rate, and have it shipped your hotel, although it may not be worth the hassle just to save $40-60 in sales tax.

Edited by Andy_Bangle

You won't want mine, it would be immaculate if it wasn't for the fact it's been bent so many times, and bent back straight again it's got a kink in the metal on the side now, also, according to battery testing apps my battery now only charges to 55% of it's original capacity, which explains the random shut downs and shocking battery life which can be as little as half and hour from 100% charge depending on what you are doing.

I have ordered a replacement battery from Amazon which will hopefully solve the issue but I think my son has got dibs on it.

The moral of that story I guess is don't buy an iPhone 6, they bend.