WiFi extension

Andrew

It's more than that but in principle, yes.

The Asus router and software just has a lot more configuration options as well as a far superior strength and spread of signal.  The software lets you assign traffic priority, monitor device and software use, even allows for 'beam forming' (the direction of the signal).  

I found the SuperHub 2 to be far superior to the SuperHub 3 but that is largely irrelevant when you consider what they are - cheap routers.  They're never really going to compete with products from other manufacturers that provide software the likes of Virgin and BT never will.

Installed the same Asus router MrMe has and the difference is remarkable. Ok, it was £170 odd quid but on the 5G connection the top room is getting 170mbps. And no need for a wifi extender either. Very pleased, thanks everyone for your comments on this. 

• Like 1

On 14/10/2017 at 1:32 PM, NewNiceMrMe said:

We went from Vivid 200 to HomeWorks+ 300.

I changed to an excellent Asus router for better WiFi signal and it worked a treat.  I then, this week, had network sockets installed in the office so could get every drop of download speed out of the service.   I've just ran a few more tests and it is between 326 to 335mb consistently (hasn't dropped below that no matter which server I select for testing).

I have plugged a Netgear switch into one of the patch sockets and will be attaching a WiFi Hotspot to that for upstairs, just so we get the maximum speed possible on the upper floor.

Can you let me have a little bit of your download speed please,  I'll pay for the postage too?  My max download speed is 1.4mb and often hovers around .9mb, if I try Youtube the everything else just stops - it's hopeless.  I'm looking at 3G HSPA(+) as we've got a 4G mast up the road but it doesn't quite reach us but the 3G HSPA signal seems consistent at 12-14mb down and 10mb up according to OOKLA on my 'phone.  I'll still keep the Orange package as it's tied to the home 'phone package so the Bouygues Telecom 3G service is an extra €30 pm and that's why I haven't signed on the dotted line as we're on a fixed pension and the cost of living here is not getting any cheaper.

I don't know how I'd cope.  In fact I wouldn't (see below).  That said, we have businesses to run via it too, so it's a necessity more than a luxury.

I know what that kind of speed feels like though.  I'm currently in the Bahamas and trying to run the aforementioned businesses on this....

6729924004.png

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

On 10/10/2017 at 7:03 AM, Andrew said:

Right, Virgin Vivid 200 installed and w

On 14/10/2017 at 7:26 PM, Andrew said:

So the general thing is to plug another quality wifi router into the Virgin box to get much improved speeds?

orking, wired connection 175 mbps. Wifi sometimes 20 but I’ve seen 60 odd. Will attaching a router like MrMe boost my wifi speed significantly or will the mesh system be a better bet? I don’t hardwire anything really so all that speed is just going the waste at the moment.

The router makes a ton of difference. My Netgear gives me brilliant WiFi performance - 500Mbps each way, which is phenomenal.

Not quite as phenomenal as wired, but hey ho.

Screenshot 2017-10-23 13.35.50.png

• Like 1

It is amazing just how shite the BT and Virgin boxes are at broadcasting WiFi at speed. Mind you, Virgin have been having problems today due to “congestion on the line”. Engineer arriving on Weds to presumably sweep the congesters off the line ... Call centre lady tried to suggest it was the new router, I told her the wired gadgets (Sonos and Time Capsule) said otherwise. She shut up. 

16 hours ago, Andrew said:

Who on earth do you use to get 500mbps? Do you have a direct T1 pipe?!

I get about 950Mbps each way over cabled. 500Mbps each way is over WiFi. Company is HyperOptic.

Fibre to the hallway :)

Edited by Mac
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I bought one of these: https://www.novatech.co.uk/products/asus-rt-ac87u-dual-band-wireless-ac2400-gigabit-router/90ig00w0-bu2g00.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMInabaxeG22AIVSrftCh3NSwCcEAQYBSABEgImMPD_BwE

Same as MrMe. Works well and have seen over 200mbps on wifi. I don’t bother with the Virgin router in modem mode as the service always seemed to go wrong when I did it. 

I've just had a quick glance at the network that Asus is providing service to at our house.

29 devices as I type this, connected.

Speed on my MBP via ethernet - 309mb

Speed on MrsMe's MBP via WiFi - 196mb

It is fair to say we've no complaints about the router.

p.s. Mo-S3, we are on the Virgin HomeWorks+ 300mb service.

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

3 hours ago, NewNiceMrMe said:

I've just had a quick glance at the network that Asus is providing service to at our house.

29 devices as I type this, connected.

Speed on my MBP via ethernet - 309mb

Speed on MrsMe's MBP via WiFi - 196mb

It is fair to say we've no complaints about the router.

p.s. Mo-S3, we are on the Virgin HomeWorks+ 300mb service.

Are you still using the virgin hub as a modem only?

Exactly the same config as me NNMM. 

I use the Virgin Superhub as a modem only and the Asus for wifi. I genuinely can't remember the last time I needed to re-set the power or restart it for any reason and its got fantastic coverage. I even use it as a Time Machine server.