"Relay Crime" reality?

Waylander

On 29/11/2017 at 11:20 PM, max_b said:

This is rife everywhere at the moment, more than you realise. Not just 'top end' cars but plently of day to day cars such as fiestas, focus's, etc. Anything with keyless entry - its gone back to the days of the 90s for car theft. Unfortunately there is just not enough 'resource' to deal with the scumbags and they know it.

I follow a page on FB called 'Stolen Cars Midlands' and most days there are at least 7/8 cars around the midlands reported stolen, most using this method and this is just for folk that know about the page and report it on there - loads don't!

What can you do - as Rachel has said Faraday case for your keys. If you don't want to do that a metal (biscuit) tin to store your keys - you can test if this works but taking your keys in your tin to your car and seeing if the doors open. Physical security is a big one - get one of the orginal Disloks - a bit of a pain to use but sends a message to mr scumbag to move onto another car that hasn't got one on. You can of course also add physical bits around the house - security lights, security posts - just don't forget to put them down before driving off 

I’ve bought an rfid pouch to put wife’s keys in but she already “forgets” (read cba) to do it.

mine isn’t keyless entry but I tend to put it in there overnight too.

going to buy her a steering lock too for visible deterrent.

ive started getting quotes for gates for the driveway (sliding electric) and it’s nearing £16k :o

your very last comment about the posts is what’s putting me off too. No other driveway in our or adjacent street has them (not a reason by itself either way other than drawing attention) but I’m certain one of us will almost certainly forget to drop them one time ......so going off the idea 

I put all my stuff in RFID proof pouches now. I don't bother or worry too much anymore about such things, it can consume you. I have had two cars stolen, but having good insurance and GAP means it can become 'one of those things'. It's still a kick in the guts, but what's the point of constantly worrying.

The RFID pouches cost a few quid.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 03/12/2017 at 1:11 PM, Soulboy said:

The thing about the Autowatch Ghost and similar is that I can see it encouraging conflict as they could threaten you for the code. 

That said, I do have a handbrake lock on my car even though it's not keyless. 

...or you hack it a bit to allow them to drive off a bit. Perhaps. 

If I had it my way I'd like the car to detect it's not near anyone else and then self-destruct. When I'm King etc. 

• Like 2

As a quick side-note with those RFD pouches - make sure you check them. Some of the ones we had delivered to work were rubbish and just blatantly didn't work.

Put a mobile phone in it and call it, you shouldn't be able to get through to it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Andy_Bangle said:

Gone is 20 seconds:

It took roughly 10-seconds for the thieves to boost the key’s signal into their transmitter, and then another 10 seconds to switch places and take off with the car. 

Wow.that was quick!

When I test drove the BMW M3, it didn't have keyless access but it still had keyless start, is it still hack-able?

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/05/2018 at 10:44 AM, Mac said:

As a quick side-note with those RFD pouches - make sure you check them. Some of the ones we had delivered to work were rubbish and just blatantly didn't work.

Put a mobile phone in it and call it, you shouldn't be able to get through to it.

I got two different ones and fortunately both worked.

We have the spares in a big pouch and two smaller ones for daily use, work a treat. I put the keys in both and the car couldn't detect the keys at all on the wifes car with comfort opening. +++

12 hours ago, cruiser647 said:

How close does that signal boosting thing need to be to the keys?

I believe they can be a LONG way from the front of the house or anywhere in the house and can be detected. The signal apparently gets boosted a LOT. 

We also have the spares in a pouch in another location in the house to make certain as well. +++

3 hours ago, shao_khan said:

Didnt use this method for mine - they just destroyed the patio doors at the rear of the house and stole the keys. 

Another reason to always keys downstairs, better they get the metal than try and come and find them and disturb you, that gets a whole lot messier. 

I take it you haven't got them back yet? You will be nailing those lovely motors about before you know +++

13 minutes ago, shao_khan said:

I think if the police are accurate - 4 curbed alloys, front splitter damaged and couple of marks on bonnet paintwork.  M2 jst has couple of curbed alloys and thats it.

Feel for you :-(

Apart from the damage it's the knowledge that a piece of scum has been having fun in your pride of joy.

Touch wood it never happens but if my car was stolen I would pray for a write off so didn't get it back. I wonder what the future insurance premium  impact  is between stolen and returned vs write off, a fair chunk I guess. 

On 06/06/2018 at 6:31 PM, billy2shots said:

Feel for you :-(

Apart from the damage it's the knowledge that a piece of scum has been having fun in your pride of joy.

Touch wood it never happens but if my car was stolen I would pray for a write off so didn't get it back. I wonder what the future insurance premium  impact  is between stolen and returned vs write off, a fair chunk I guess. 

I was hoping both would be gone, but alas not.  Although the insurers pointed out that my 330 current book price is about £24k, its 12 months old with 11k miles and was a list of £54k - thats some stonking depreciation, so I'm glad I dont have it written off as then I'd have the whole GAP claim as well.

On 07/06/2018 at 7:17 PM, shao_khan said:

I was hoping both would be gone, but alas not.  Although the insurers pointed out that my 330 current book price is about £24k, its 12 months old with 11k miles and was a list of £54k - thats some stonking depreciation, so I'm glad I dont have it written off as then I'd have the whole GAP claim as well.

Jesus!!  That is 45-48%.... :o:(