Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cabby

Ebay oddity / fraud

10 posts in this topic

A bit of ebay browsing and I end up looking at rather well priced (too good to be true type price) M1 Golf - very much a case of 'if its too good to be true . . . . .

Advert wording a bit unusual - selling for a family member, contact John directly . . . . seemed a bit odd.  So I checked-out their other items.  All are 'new' listings with lots of exotic / rare / unusual cars, boats etc.  Every advert is worded the same expect for some variations in price.  I'm assuming these are a bunch of fake adverts hoping to punters to pay deposits or the full price to avoid missing a 'bargain' ('66 912 for £4.5k anyone). 

Surely ebay and it's checks / algorithms should be picking this sort of thing up?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1983-Mk1-golf-campaign-in-rare-helious-blue/302677781076?hash=item4679006a54:g:Hg4AAOSw5E5asXvG

1 person likes this

Looks like the advert has been pulled already, that link doesn't open to reveal a listing for sale?

The scammers have done an account takeover and will be hoping to find some sucker who's willing to do a quick deal off ebay site. ie: "Send me a deposit via Western Union and we'll sort out shipping" 

The Lancia Beta got up to £550 with 5 bids before it was pulled: Google Image Search The exact same advert is placed every few days under different account names: 12

eBay doesn't care that much, as long as they get paid for the advert then they're happy. 

Edited by Andy_Bangle

Thought it was something like that - they had about 6 pages of adverts on there at one point last night.  Shame for the poor sod who has their account hijacked :o.

I saw my current S8 up in eBay twice after I bought it.

Same photos (hence the recognition) but the car was now in Denmark....

Dodgy bastards.  I reported it to eBay and it took them a few to remove each time.

A bit slow and a bit poor...

Cruiser, is the D3 A8 you chopped in for the D3 S8 currently for sale?  Think I saw it the other day on AT

10 hours ago, Ian_C said:

Cruiser, is the D3 A8 you chopped in for the D3 S8 currently for sale?  Think I saw it the other day on AT

It was a D4 A8 for the s8 wasn’t it :P

1 person likes this

Er, I did that on purpose with people accusing me of having an encyclopedic photographic memory......  :secret:

2 people like this

I cannot see it.

DA62 is the beginning of the plate (or was)