Ebay oddity / fraud

cabby

A bit of ebay browsing and I end up looking at rather well priced (too good to be true type price) M1 Golf - very much a case of 'if its too good to be true . . . . .

Advert wording a bit unusual - selling for a family member, contact John directly . . . . seemed a bit odd.  So I checked-out their other items.  All are 'new' listings with lots of exotic / rare / unusual cars, boats etc.  Every advert is worded the same expect for some variations in price.  I'm assuming these are a bunch of fake adverts hoping to punters to pay deposits or the full price to avoid missing a 'bargain' ('66 912 for £4.5k anyone). 

Surely ebay and it's checks / algorithms should be picking this sort of thing up?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1983-Mk1-golf-campaign-in-rare-helious-blue/302677781076?hash=item4679006a54:g:Hg4AAOSw5E5asXvG

• Like 1

The scammers have done an account takeover and will be hoping to find some sucker who's willing to do a quick deal off ebay site. ie: "Send me a deposit via Western Union and we'll sort out shipping" 

The Lancia Beta got up to £550 with 5 bids before it was pulled: Google Image Search The exact same advert is placed every few days under different account names: 12

eBay doesn't care that much, as long as they get paid for the advert then they're happy. 

Edited by Andy_Bangle