Waylander

Roof Bars Conundrum

10 posts in this topic

Wife and kids have a flight from Gatwick so I have to cram 4 suitcases and whatever else she is planning to pack into the back of out 5+2 Outlander with the rear seats down.

I thought it might be okay but I'm now not so sure.

The car has flush-fit roof rails and I see 2 points on either side where I assume appropriate roof rails will fit so I guess I have a contingency at the last minute if I need to be bailed out

BUT - eerrms never fitted them, never loaded luggage on them and never driven with roof-loaded luggage (for a 200-odd mile motorway journey)

So - I clearly need to source appropriate roof rack to be able to but fairly quickly if required. What else so I need in terms of making sure the load is secure?

I am guessing it will also make an almightly racket....I get that there are "aero" rails but don't really want to spend too much on an stop-gap measure

If I were you I would check first what the roof loading capability of the car is.

Most are only 50kg so that is 2 cases tops and will probably scupper the whole idea anyway.

A quick google & it looks like it could be 80kg depending on car age.

Yeah its a 2014 Outlander so I thought it was 80kg too.

There will only be 4 suitcases in total anyway (plus couple Pullmans) so I'd have thought max on top would be 2 biggies anyway

I have used a roof box on an e39 530 Sport before & aside of a little more body roll I didn't notice it was there.

1 person likes this

I have always used 

https://www.roofbox.co.uk/

for all my roof bar needs there is normally a discount code floating around too. 

Not sure I’d be too happy strapping suitcases straight to the roof bars though and roof boxes are really more suited to filling with multiple hold-all type bags rather than big suitcases. 

1 person likes this

Not quite what you asked but could hiring a closed trailer be an option?

1 person likes this

ooh I like those - good call boys! We have the connector on the back of it for a trailer

Any idea where I could hire a trailer from? I will put out feelers - Although I now think I was being a bit silly and should easily be able to accomodate that luggae wth the 3rd rown of seats down and some Tetris packing

On 04/06/2018 at 10:28 AM, Waylander said:

Any idea where I could hire a trailer from? 

Indespension, branches around the country. +++

1 person likes this