Fernando Alonso to quit F1 at the end of this season.

Andy_Bangle

I still can’t bring myself to think of Hamilton in the same bracket as Schumacher, Senna and Alonso. Not sure I ever will, and I don’t really care whether anyone thinks that’s fair. 

Interesting - tho fairly meaningless - stat I read about Alonso. He was 11 points short of winning 5 F1 WDC’s. He’d be far more widely accepted as a great by those who think F1 is the pinnacle if he’d won those other three.

If Alonso wins the Indy 500 to eventually retire as only the second driver ever to win the triple crown of F1 WDC (or Monaco GP depending on your preferred definition), Le Mans 24hrs and Indy 500 then his greatness will be secured among those whose opinion counts for anything.  

There is a view that sometimes teams focused too much on him and his opinion against other wisdom. He has certainly cost McLaren dear in his requests for what but there issues run far deeper. 

I guess I feel the same about Schumacher, never warmed to him at all but respected him as a racer. Didn't like his tactics and arguable he stole some wins through what some might say is cheating and you can't say that for Hamilton. 

Prost again was excellent but cold for me and too clinical and didn't have the passion. 

Senna, Hamilton, Schumacher, Alonso, Prost for me in that order all during my time in relation to F1, although I'd say there are some that inspired in other series or bikes but thats for another debate all together.