Possibly about to do something stupid again...?

patently

Hi, it's me.  Long time no post and all that.  Sorry, been busy. 

Anyway, anyone remember a few years back when I asked if I was mad to think about getting a used Cayenne GTS?  You know, the thread where I ended up getting a brand new one, after applying ridiculous levels of man maths?  Well, the GTS has been absolutely lovely, but I've just had a rather tempting offer for it, coincidentally just after buying a rather special Defender.  So my mind is saying that the Defender can take over the 4x4 and towing duties of the Cayenne and I can slot a nice road car in its place.  But what to get? 

Now, I tested an E63 AMG some years ago, and liked everything about it apart from the price and a lingering suspicion that it would depreciate like a brick.  So obviously the same logic now says to buy one that has depreciated.  Early ones are £15k at independent dealers and from about £30k at main dealers.  Anyone have an in-depth knowledge of the E-class AMG cars that they would liek to illuminate me with?  Any particular model years/options etc to go for or avoid?  And don't all just say "why not get a new one, the interior is much nicer".  That's not happening.  No.  Definitely not.  Not this time.  I know, I know, this time is different.

f0dcb19c216843f69b045f139a5c3d1b.jpg

(£11k, V8, over 500hp :blink:)

Or any other suggestions?  An M5 is tempting but I hear horror stories of used E60s, E39 seems to be classics now and priced accordingly, and F10s are a bit on the expensive side?

• Like 3

Try and see if you can afford the turbo'd 5.5l V8, and AWD - but I suspect the latter might still be in the depreciation curve above where you want to pay...

Pre-2010/2011 6.2l V8 cars, like the C63's had potential head bolt failures - so if looking at one of those check the head bolts have been replaced (otherwise put a bucketload of money aside to do them).

the 5.5l engine is legandary - so I'd say go for one.  :-)

• Like 1

Mmmmm interesting. If you just want a fast way to get in and out of work then the AMG or an M5 would be perfect. 

As for which one I guess that depends on the budget you want to push to. I've decided to keep my car for longer as I can't be bothered on spending more to get more or less the same this time.

You could always look at the M3 V8 as an alternative or try and get a 4 door maybe?

• 3 weeks later...

Still working on it!  Have been insanely busy and the Defender has been playing me around, it needs a little more work to get it running just-so. 

Am also veering towards an F10 M5 after my family all looked at me in utter horror at the prospect of me getting a Mercedes.  Master P suggested he might not get in and that I was nothing like old enough...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Right!  The Defender is working OK (*touches wood*) so the Cayenne is now up for sale.  Roll up, roll up, you all know you want 440hp of Porsche handling in a practical package... :cool:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201905117843755?advertising-location=at_cars

Next step: bank the cash and hunt for an M5...

No towbar. Probably wouldn’t be wise. 

The current M5s are 4WD but I can’t afford them (yes, I know the interiors are lovely…).  F10 would be the choice, which is RWD*.

*LIKE IT SHOULD BE 

• Like 1

I have just had a look at the F10 and newer model on Wiki - but I didn't get to check the interior of the newer one (F90?).  The F10 looks fine though. +++

Losing that horrid 'dispaly pod' thing for the i-drive screen in the V10 M5.  It looks properly integrated now.

Three power output choices!  Man!!!

Red one sir?

48 minutes ago, Rachel said:

Noice!

What is the spec?

F10 M5 Saloon S63 4.4i LCI
Monte Carlo Blue          Metallic
Black Extended Merino Leather
Service Pack from 14/04/2016 to 13/04/2021
20" 343M light Double-spoke alloy wheels
Steering wheel heating
Reversing Assist camera
Bootlid operation. Powered
Climate Comfort windscreen
Dark Ash wood interior trim
M Multi-function seats. Front
Split-folding rear seats
Lumbar support. Driver and front pass.
Surround-view
Internet
Loudspeaker system - harman/kardon surround
M rear spoiler
Speed limit display
Active Security package

:cool:

4 hours ago, cruiser647 said:

Active Security Pack - do you let the big bouncer out of the boot and he patrols the car each time you stop?

:roflmao: Nah, it's stuff like lane departure warning, lane change warning, collision alerts and such.  Am thinking of ripping it out and seeing if I can fit it to the Caterham.

4 hours ago, cruiser647 said:

Did Junior get the drive the Cayenne and will he get to drive the M?

He should wish :lol:

Maybe in a while.  A long while...!

Mean dad!

My A8 has the anti-collision (front) thing and it brakes for you after flashing up on the dash, if it thinks you are getting too close.  I found out as someone was going right at some lights, I was going  left and my car 'thought' I was a bit too close and braked a bit until they were out of scope and let the brakes off.

Nice touch!

Maybe Romain Grosjean can try out the anti-collision stuff first...