1969 911e only idls

sdahlheimer

I have a 1969 911e, with mfi, that usually starts up easily, will idle till the cows come home. If you drive it as little as quarter mile it stops running. Like it runs out of gas. car has less than 50 thousand original miles. I checked the fuel pressure from Pump was 25 lbs. Out of fuel filter about 11lbs. Replace filter got same problem.

Any suggestions? This car is New to me; never have a porsche before. Am determined not to have to take to a dealer. Any help would be appreciated.

• 8 months later...

check the fuel delivery rate, the actual volume of fuel it can pump in a set period of time.

Sounds to me that you have a fuel starvation issue, where the pump is able to maintain pressure when there is a demand for very little fuel flow, but when there is a demand for a greater quantity of fuel, its unable to keep up.

It would also be worth taking the fuel sender from the fuel tank and having a look in there, as it could be that the tank is rusty inside, which could be clogging the fuel strainer, damaging the pump and possibly clogging your fuel filter (even though its new)

Did you cut open the old fuel filter? if so, how did it look in there?