Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bison1379134007

Boarding @ leeds xscape this friday...

8 posts in this topic

Hi,

I should be making my debut rail sliding practise attempt (if im still pissed enough from thursday night crazy.gif) during the day on friday. Anyone up for coming along for a laff?

Easy Tiger! laugh.gif

Although rail-slides might look quite easy to do, they're not. Fecking difficult to be honest as there is very little resistance (obviously ROLLEY~14.GIF) and its easy to cock it up and hit your head on the rail or worse...your nuts.

Start with box's or low rails first...and good luck crazy.gif

Arse!! I'm heading there tomorrow afternoon/evening but coulda done with a laugh! I'm not quite at your level yet but gimme time. could do it as a skater so i'll be damned if i can't do it on a board too!!

if i remember, i can pile a ton of snow at the side of the rail by falling off a few times!?!

would that help?

grin.gif

Rail sliding masterclass is now in session...... znaika.gif

Start with a pretty low rail like the bottom one at MK. Try doing 50-50's first. i.e. just going over the rail with the board going in a straight line. This way you get a feel for the speed but if you screw things up you just board off the side of the rail and land facing the right way and don't fall over. You also eliminate the risk of falling backwards and landing on the rail.

Once you have got confident at this and feel like you have got a handle on the balance and speed issues you can go to the next level. The best thing to practice this on is a pipe (like the yellow one at Tamworth) so you won't fall so far when you mess it up, which you will to begin with. Approach the pipe (low rail) fairly slowly as the slope on the rail will help you gather spped once you hit it. Just as the tip of your board crosses the start of the rail, pop the board up a touch and pull your front foot round, shifting your hips 90 degress so that you land square on the rail. So long as you hit it somewhere between the bindings you should be able to keep it on the rail. If you cob it at these slow sppeds you should still be able to ride out of it as you have time to adjust before hitting the snow again.

The most important thing is to have your weight a little forward because of the rail sloping away from you. People that fall backwards are doing so becase they are standing up straight and thus at an angle against the slope. Imagaine standing on the slope and leaning forwards so that you are perpendicular to the slope rather than standing dead straight which is like leaning backwards if the slope was flat - see what I mean?!!

Once you have gone through these stages it is a personal thing about how you build up speed / rail height. Personally I built up speed and confidence on the samll ones before tackling anything bigger.

Most of all have a laugh doing it, be prepared to fall a few times and jsut remember how ace it feels once you get it right and can boardslide those babies at about 40mph as soon as you see a little snow bunny to impress beerchug.gif

Good luck.

mate it was comedy! unfortunatly the rails were closed frown.gif but i still had the most spectacular wipe out they'd seen in a while...

went round the lift side of that big jump thing they have half way down on the right... prolly a 2m wide alley... nuff for any normal boarder to hoon trhough in style... the barries kinda force you to the left after you get past the jump to avoid the kids sledge type area.. going a lil too fast managed to hoon straight through the netting and drag it down the piste with me. Slightly twisted knee but well worth it for comedy value. Not sure they youth who had to put it back togther was too impressed mind!

Bring on val dez air next month laugh.gif

YOu lucky Bu66er, Val D will be fantastic.....Love the Place.....Esp the Face de Bellvarde - One scary Downhill course IMO.....I'm getting excited about skiing NEXT year.....