Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ritey

My second Mod

31 posts in this topic

Ok, here's number 2 now, I've replaced the standard air filter with a new K&N panel filter for a few extra bhp and a bigger suckie noise smile.gif

PICS here..

Time to get the covers off...

pic1.JPG

First cover off...

pic2.JPG

Second cover off and original air filter...

pic3.JPG

Covers ....

pic4.JPG

K&N filter ....

pic5.JPG

K&N filter close up ....

pic6.JPG

Air Filter cover back on...

pic7.JPG

Time to get the cover back on...

pic1.JPG

Some sound/video clips (large) if you want to see if you can tell the difference, my camera isn't great so most woulnd't be able to tell, although in person I think you would be able to tell if you heard a non K&N and a K&N, the important thing is, I can tell smile.gif

Before K&N

After K&N

So what do you guys and girls think please???

Dave

post-2698-137914266213_thumb.jpg

Looks excellent mate.. and like the pictures.. makes it's so easy to see how to do it..

I might do this for my TT.. do you know if the do an air filter for the V6 and what sort of benifits it gives

Cheers

Dave

If that's the audi 3.2 V6 then I'm afraid looking at their website they don't at the moment. (website here KNFILTERS )

If they ever do do one though, which I'm sure they will, because they do filters for just about every other car then I highly recommend them, unless you have huge holes in your bonnet and superb cooling systems induction kits are generally a waste of money whereas the replacement filters can add bhp and sound nice and sucky smile.gif Replacement filters are often at least half the price too!!!

Thanx for the comments Dave ... k&n are looking for demo cars, perhaps you could use yours to develope a filter for your car!

Dave

Nice and easy job - I did the K&N induction kit on my Lupo - and its very easy to work on them - loads of space.

Cant hea the sounds clips here - work dont like us having noise in the ofice!!!!!!

So whats next then?

No stopping you now is there DM beerchug.gif I'll log in next week and there will be a supercharger strapped to it beerchug.gifgrin.gif

k&n do an air filter for the r32 so it should be similar to the tt v6 filter.

[ QUOTE ]

I'll log in next week and there will be a supercharger strapped to it beerchug.gifgrin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure I could afford the insurance but i'll ask jump.gif

Hmmm next, well I'm talking to a few people about making a little more noise so when I get to the next MK meet It won't be just the R32's thundering up and down smile.gif

Got to watch the wallet though, can't go mad like you guys working on nice salary's !!!!!!

Dave

Great job Dave notworthy.gif

Erm on the subject of career prospects, if all else fails wot about producing your own Haynes type manual for mod's. yelrotflmao.gif Reckon you might inspire a few to pick up a spanner!

R

Well Dave, after giving me all of that great advice (thanks for that by the way, much appreciated), you've gone and beat me to it fekr.gif . Nice work though, had a listen and could tell the difference. I think a K+N might be my first move. Just got it back after the MOT + Service and my wallet appears to be £375 lighter frown.gif

Gonna have to wait till next payday methinks.

What year's yours then Dave??

BAZZA

[ QUOTE ]

k&n do an air filter for the r32 so it should be similar to the tt v6 filter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aye, one is in my R32 - Panel Filter Part No. 33-2128.

Its the same on that fits, the TT 1.8, and a mulitude of other VAG cars, so unless the 3.2 TT has a all new air box design, size, shape etc I'm sure it would fit.

Get the part No. for the Std Air Filter and check it against a 1.8 TT air filter part. If they match then both cars are using the same filter and you'll be able to fit the K&N Panel filter that I'm using.

znaika.gif

[ QUOTE ]

What year's yours then Dave??

[/ QUOTE ]

Mines a 2000 model on a W plate - and if your pocket is feeling a little light, I recommend the K&N if you still want to do something to your car, cost me £44.31 and recieved it in 2 days from my local Halfords, I was well surprised, I've found them available online, but after p&p all places were more expensive!!!

Oh and I also found that the K&N website is actually incorrect, the model number I found from them was 33-2649 although the one I fitted was 33-2774 - how bizzare!!!!

Dave

Dave,

Whats the fuel consumption like with the K&N in place?

Ours is running standard at present although I do fill her up with Optimax (same as my R32) and she flies on it.

Average about 350-400 miles to a tank full jump.gif

Also re suspension, have you lowered yours? If so what springs/struts have you used?

Thanks ECLIPSe.gif

I've only had the K&N on for a week now and haven't done a full fill up with it yet, although I have been making it whistle coz that's what you do when you get something new, you wanna listern right, (come on milltek boys/girls i know you agree!!!) and haven't noticed the needle dropping any quicker than normal so probably isn't making a huge difference.

I've just picked up a set of Spax springs which haven't been fitted yet, waiting for my Polo to get some warranty work done first, but I got them stupidly cheap otherwise I would of gone for H&R like most GTI owners as the reviews from these guys say they are the best thing if your not getting coilovers which are obviously theee best if you can afford them!

Will post verdict and mod installation once they are fitted, in the mean time, this is them, and what i'm eager to get fitted !!!

Hope this helps

Dave

post-2698-137914266704_thumb.jpg

Cheers Dave,

Are the H&R ones red also?

They look nice, will look good against the red calipers.

Oh, nearly forgot how much?

Well RRP is over £100 from most places

I didn't pay RRP sekret.gif

Dave

Thanks Dave,

Another question for you, would I need to swap the struts over if I replaced/swapped the springs for the H&R versions?

WOW that look well cool mate - LOADS more BEEF in there than mine! K&N prob makes a big diff - but u'll have to take al that off again everytime u wanna clean it! sekret.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks Dave,

Another question for you, would I need to swap the struts over if I replaced/swapped the springs for the H&R versions?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not entirley sure, haven't done it before and not done it yet and won't be with H&R springs, but will try and find out for you.

Also just filled up a full tank from empty so will give an accurate mpg result once its emptied with the new K&N on

Dave

[ QUOTE ]

WOW that look well cool mate - LOADS more BEEF in there than mine! K&N prob makes a big diff - but u'll have to take al that off again everytime u wanna clean it! sekret.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well luckly its only 10 screws in total, 4 torx and then 6 philips smile.gif Easy peasy

Dave

[ QUOTE ]

I might do this for my TT.. do you know if the do an air filter for the V6 and what sort of benifits it gives

[/ QUOTE ]

Dave most Audis use the same airbox and hence the same K&N Panel filter the one I have put in my RS4 is the same part no. as a 1.8T!!! So you should get one no bother!

[ QUOTE ]

Also just filled up a full tank from empty so will give an accurate mpg result once its emptied with the new K&N on

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok so on a full tank £34 worth at 74.2p I did 347 miles of a good mix, crawling traffic, motor way speed and giving it some to hear the suk, please some body do the mpg coz my brain hurts after a full hard day at uni !!! smile.gif

Dave

OK, according to my calcs..... you managed 34.42 MPGs!

This ia based on

a) £34 = 45.82 Litres = 10.08 Gallons

b) 347 miles / 10.08 = 34.42 Miles Per Gallon!!

Ta da!

Not bad as the book quote is 39 mpg !

Dave

Dave,

What fuel was that? Normal unleaded or Optimax?

Well I filled up the GTI on Wednesday, got 405 miles from the tank.

Optimax @ 80.9 per litre

43.77 litres

£35.41

No idea on MPG as my maths is crap!!!

I was using normal unleaded, to be honest I don't see the point in putting Optimax in because I don't no what it has been run in with and had 40,000 + miles on the clock before I had it!!

If i've done it right you managed 42.1 mpg !! Very good !!

Dave