Goodbye, TDI...

GCab

Left my 2.5 TDI A4 Cab on a dealer's forecourt this morning - in exchange for a 1.8T quattro Cab. In a way it's the ultimate betrayal sekret.gif - changing cars to a near-identical one, only to change the engine to petrol. Sorry to bail out on you after only 9 months: I loved the engine itself, and will come back to it if I go for a saloon or Avant in future, but (as I've ranted on at length in the A4 forum) the Cab (with its reinforced flanks) in combination with a heavy ol' V6 TDI (150 kg heavier than the base 1.8T, if you take the Audi wt figures literally) just didn't work on the broken roadworked Tarmac where I drive - the car just felt top-heavy and kept crashing into potholes and bouncing around bumps. Hopefully the lighter 1.8T will make a difference - bit of a gamble but we'll see.

And I have to say, I've always defended the TDI Cab fiercely but I've always also had to admit that the stationary/low speed rattle isn't great with an open top. The BP Ultimate made a genuine *big* difference (initially seemed to get rid of it, but maybe engine has loosened up or something since then or it's just the colder weather, but it's noticeable now. In any case it was lovely and smooth once it got going over 20-40 mph; but ultimately I got a bit fed up of it. If I wasn't driving round stop-start traffic all day I'd keep it: the handling would be fine on a smoother road, and the rattle is really not an issue if you can get some speed up on an open road rather than endless suburban sidestreets, but I'm stuck with the latter.

So it's goodbye TDI, goodbye V6 in favour of a 4 frown.gif - but hello to a smoother purr in sluggish traffic and hopefully less bouncing around potholes. And I picked up some new toys by way of options on trading in ... my post in Cab forum

Anyway, I'm pleased to have got everyone looking at BP Ultimate again after it was languishing in 'pah, load of hype' land, so that's my contribution to the oilies forum, even though I'm bailing out grin.gif. Be seeing you beerchug.gif