S3 In Rear View Mirror

John32

where is all this coming from? The R32 and S3 are virually identical performance-wise. bearing in mind that a 450 BHP Cobra can only get about 30 yards ahead on the motorway, i dont see how an R32 can ever see off an S3 in a sprint?? my only guess is the S3 drivers are either not trying at all or not trying hard enough?

Sorry, not wishing to start a 'mine's better than yours' type war here, i just dont understand how so many R32's seem to be 'seeing-off' so many S3's???

But is that a really good example? cos whenever i have a play with people the most i'll ever do is 140 and certainly not 150 and absolutely not if i've got the missus (or anyone else for that matter) in the car.

At those sorts of speeds, most people give up not long after 120 cos they know that they are in 'license losing' territory.

So if you'd have been racing me up the hill, i'd have given up at about 130-140 and left you to take your risks. that doesn't mean that you were any faster, just crazier beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Had a wee run against a couple of S3s and R32 has it marginally but not by a lot at all..... I think the R is a tad quicker thru the gears, mid range.

Any decent S3 driver could beat an R32, its down to driving as much as the cars!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I could understand that - i've never got on with my S3 box and find it too clumpy for really fast changes but i've been spoilt with an MX5 for 6 years and there's not many cars out there with a better gearchange than them!

[ QUOTE ]

But is that a really good example? cos whenever i have a play with people the most i'll ever do is 140 and certainly not 150 and absolutely not if i've got the missus (or anyone else for that matter) in the car.

At those sorts of speeds, most people give up not long after 120 cos they know that they are in 'license losing' territory.

So if you'd have been racing me up the hill, i'd have given up at about 130-140 and left you to take your risks. <font color="red">that doesn't mean that you were any faster, just crazier</font> beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is how I "Win" the majority of my "Contests" grin.gifsmashfreakB.gif

I had a play with a blue 225 S3, this was after the remap, but before the miltek, so i was running aobut 260 ish... Anyways, there was a considerable amount in it, this is running through 4th, 5th and in to 6th, so up to 130 ish. I probably pulled about 10 car lenghts in it!! That was one very pissed off owner. BGefore the remap, i agree there was virtually nothing in it, same with curpa R's and Type R's. Now with the miltek, none stand a chance. I can take boxters, Z4 3.0's, and any merc 500!!! and virtually keep up with a boxer S up to 130 before he starts pacing away....

Great car, really puts a smile on my face beerchug.gif

So your 260hp R32 vs a 225HP S3, and you were 10car lengths ahead?

Keep in mind your car is 70kg heavier (give or take a bit) than 225HP S3, but still 10 car lengths?

Maybe in your dreams...or maybe the S3 driver just couldnt drive?

sportifs2.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I pulled 700 car lengths on a R32 the other day (and I think it may of been chipped as it had the miltek). I was doing 155 mph on the A3 and the R32 was stationary, but I would still say that was pretty conclusive.

Dunc

[/ QUOTE ]

lololol yelrotflmao.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I pulled 700 car lengths on a R32 the other day (and I think it may of been chipped as it had the miltek). I was doing 155 mph on the A3 and the R32 was stationary, but I would still say that was pretty conclusive.

Dunc

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't have been wopps, would have passed you 1/4 mile later the_finger.gif

I should have know i would get this sort of negative feedback from my harmless if inaccurate comment. It is very hard to gague an accurate distance in car lengths from the rear view mirror. Maybe it was 5 i dunno, it looked alot, and to be honest it made me feel good. Now if this was a chipped S3 i know it would be a differant story... but it obvioulsy wasnt FIREdevil.gif

What i should have said is ' i rinced the f*** out of him' grin.gif

beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I should have know i would get this sort of negative feedback from my harmless if inaccurate comment. It is very hard to gague an accurate distance in car lengths from the rear view mirror. Maybe it was 5 i dunno, it looked alot, and to be honest it made me feel good. Now if this was a chipped S3 i know it would be a differant story... but it obvioulsy wasnt FIREdevil.gif

What i should have said is ' i rinced the f*** out of him' grin.gif

beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell that to the R32 driver at Oulton Park eh Dunc wink.gif I think you'll find its a diff kettle of fish to yours Wopps tongue.gif

Big Fish anyone the_finger.gif

Now don't take any offence and start rambling on at me but I quote from Autocar after they tested R32 vs. S3 vs. Cupra R vs. Octavia VRs.... "the R32 makes the S3 seem like an expensive irrelevance"

Read into that what you will. I am not saying that the S3 is a bad car, I really like it, but I would pick 6 cylinders instead of 4 any day of the week!

fuck_scott.gif

I agree with Bob, as i used to be a S3 owner and also have read the indepth articles must say that R32 does have the edge. I`ve yet to exploit the 241bhp but so far is very good, the 320nm kicks in quickly too.

The cars are very hard to compare against each other as the S3 has the effects of a turbo.

I never knew that the S3 suffered from turbo-lag but as soon as i stepped into the R32 is was noticable from the moment i left the showroom, so much low down pull from the engine is unreal smile.gif

I still love the S3 but feel that the N/A 3.2 V6 block is a more "solid" engine and doesnt sound weezy like the small 1.8 forced induction jobbie.

Both cars have their own good points and also their own bad points..... depends on what the individual wants really.

Riz beerchug.gif

I didnt mean to imply the R32 is better than the S3. Perfomance wise i feel that it does have the edge from stock, but the S3 has luxuaries which the R32 lacks, like electric seats and other gizmos. The suspension is harder and it is more of a hard core drive. The S3 felt more of a fast cruiser. They are both great cars but i feel they do apeal to a slightly differant customer. For me the R32 wins hands down each time, but obviously as people are still buying the S3, and the owners on this forum still love them they have their nieche in the market also.

xxx lots of love the wopster wink.gif

beerchug.gif

Performance wise, the only proper way for you to compare any 2 cars is to drive them both yourself and see which one that YOU think is the best.

There's no point in telling an S3 owner that the R32 is better, because he could have maybe have bought an R32 instead and got some change. Different cars suit different people, that's all.

With the right driver, many lesser cars would beat better cars. At the extreme, Michael Schumacher could probably lap faster in my R32 than I could in his F1 car. Doesnt mean that the R32 is better.

If you're just talking straight line speed, the only solution is to get a nice airfield and do it properly side by side. Drag racing like Santa Pod can be fun and safe too.

On the public road there are always factors that need to be taken into account. In my RX-7 I got beat by much slower cars occassionally, often because either my car wasn't warm and I refused to thrash it or maybe I was low on fuel. I also refused to try too hard on roads I wasn't too familiar with. It doesn't mean the other guy won really, no matter what he thought.

Get to Santa Pod, stage your car, and then see who's boss smile.gif