clutch slip

cossie

Think your missing the point lucas, from reading the post above it would indicate there is two ways to stop the problem, reduce torque levels so that this torque limit parameter isnt breached, or adjust the torque limit parameter in the ecu which will then let you have all the torque. Techie's fabia is well beyond standard but as it has had the proper remap rather than a plug in box the torque limit would have been dealt with and would therefore not be a problem.

I am not 100% certain but thats what it sound like

i think i may have the answer, i took the tuning box top off today and lo and behold there was a 115 chip in it. now initially i thought that htis would still be ok for the 150 pd but i was told it was dfferent ( so sorry to cheecy who was right)under the carefull advice of van aaken i adjusted the pointers in the box to the lowest setting and the problem was still the same,so this has been sent to van aaken to have a 150 chip put in. hell theres a difference in my car now its slow as [censored].but i will let u all know if this was the problem, please please work?

[ QUOTE ]

Think your missing the point lucas, from reading the post above it would indicate there is two ways to stop the problem, reduce torque levels so that this torque limit parameter isnt breached, or adjust the torque limit parameter in the ecu which will then let you have all the torque. Techie's fabia is well beyond standard but as it has had the proper remap rather than a plug in box the torque limit would have been dealt with and would therefore not be a problem.

I am not 100% certain but thats what it sound like

[/ QUOTE ]

Spot on mate, at least you get it wink.gif

you mentioned that you can alter the ecu parameters on a remap after you have a chip put in like techies car. but can you do this with a plug in box as well to higher the torque limit, sorry if im not making sense to you but im new on the diesel scene and i just wanted answers to problems i havent got a clue on. but im getting there slowly

[ QUOTE ]

i think i may have the answer, i took the tuning box top off today and lo and behold there was a 115 chip in it. now initially i thought that htis would still be ok for the 150 pd but i was told it was dfferent ( so sorry to cheecy who was right)under the carefull advice of van aaken i adjusted the pointers in the box to the lowest setting and the problem was still the same,so this has been sent to van aaken to have a 150 chip put in. hell theres a difference in my car now its slow as [censored].but i will let u all know if this was the problem, please please work?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats ok mate - as long as the problem looks like its going to be fixed. grin.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have exactly the same problem with my Golf 150 PD. I fitted a TunningBoxâ„¢ to my car and when I put my foot down in 3rd gear from about 1900 revs the car gains speed up until the revs hit 2200 revs then the revs jump to about 2800 and the car gains speed gradually to the speed which it should be doing at 2800 revs, then the revs start going up again. I've taken it to my VW garage and they've agreed to put in a new clutch under warranty. The problem only seems to occur on the beginning of a run and after about 20 miles I can't repeat the problem. What I'd like to know is that if it's not the clutch slipping but the ECU limiting the power like Fatcat said then - Why do the revs jump suddenly from 2200 to 2800 and where is the power going to?

Update on the clutch slip.

I've had a new clutch put in by the VW garage and this has fixed the problem. My thoughts are now that it is the additional torque that a tuning box gives which is greatest at the engine revs that the clutch was slipping. This was just too much for a standard VW GTI clutch to take. If the problem re-occurs I'll just get a better clutch fitted, maybe a Sachs Clutch.