So much for new technology!

Frank

Isn't modern technology wonderful.My 2003 Passat TDI PD130 has had intermittent 'Alternator-visit workshop'warnings from new.These warnings sometimes don't occur for days and then on occasion occur every 10 seconds for miles.They changed the battery and the alternator but the warnings persisted.I even thought that the problem was due to my towing electrics,in particular the split charge relay excitation.Guess what,VW technical say that the spurious indications are due to static discharge from the alternator drive belt upsetting the electronics.A kit of parts is on order to rectify.I shall post the outcome.Life used to be real easy when you could mend it with a rock and a pointed stick! confused.gif

• 3 weeks later...

The car went in on 1st April (April Fools Day)and they have changed the alternator and drive belt.It would appear to have done the trick, not a bleep since.While the car was in I asked them to look at the boot(trunk) gas struts as the lid seemed stiff to lift.They said that the struts are OK and the hinges are tightening up.I suggested some lube but was told that they had ordered new hinges.I tried some oil and it did no good whatsoever.At least after a year of ownership it has finally stopped telling me that the alternator is faulty! smile.gif