Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Snail

MP3ing Cassettes/Vinyl

7 posts in this topic

I want to put my cassettes and vinyl into MP3 format, what are the best tools for doing this? i could just straight encode from musicmatch or something, but surely there must be tools to remove the interference and stuff.

Snail,

This got talked about a litle while ago here

I've not done anything about it (yet).

Interested in any info you get / find out.

I remeber i did this with an old tape....i think i used Easy CD Creator or Nero...it has a special tool that you use to record from vinyl or tape and it removes pops crackle and hiss....the latest version of Easy CD Creator should have it...have a look around for a download sekret.gif

if you have lots of time to spend on doing this, you can also use high-end software apps like Sound Forge and Steinberg Wavelab for this. These apps use plugins which can dehiss/remove scratches from the sound and also help brighten up/enhance the stereo etc..

I tried just a basic copying via Musicmatch last night, and the results aren't too bad, just a bit of hiss in the background.

I also had a quick play with the nero tape->cd thing, managed to mess it up somehow, so will have a further play tonight.

Have found that the Nero wave editor is very good for getting rid of the ambient noise on cassettes.

Cant get on with the nero cassette->cd wizard thing though.

At the moment im recording to .wav files using a freebie program i found, which automatically seperates tracks, then using nero to remove the ambient noise, then using another freebie to convert to MP3.

Its a bit convoluted, but is producing very good results.

One piece of advise for anyone doing this. If you have NT,2000, or XP, then press CTRL+ALT+DEL, go to processes, find the process doing the capturing of the cassette, right click it, go to change priority, and raise it above normal. This should stop tracks sounding like a skipping CD. The other approach is to just do nothing while capturing.