Digital Cameras.. what do you reccomend?

Dave

I use a Sony DSC-P5, which is very good. There's a newer version of it out now with higher resolution. I also liked my Canon Powershot S10 before it was crushed to death between a fencepost and my S4.

For me the important thing is to get something small and pocketable. I find I take the Sony with me when I wouldn't bother taking something bigger. Also, the picture quality is very good, it takes mpeg movie files and is very easy to use.

I've got a Sony F707 and its a big beast but superb pictures.

Depends what you are looking for in a Digital Camera,

what type of pics do you take?

would you use manual features, or are you a point and click person?

do you want to print the pictures , if so how big?

try looking on DPReview.com , its a british site and the reviews are the tops

I got a Canon Ixus V, there's a V2 out now though.

Brilliant camera, very compact and all the features, but you can do the battery in a day easy which is a pain, especially as it is a special shape so you can't even buy some Ever Ready to whack in it and keep it going.

Saw a tiny Casio the other day, really really small. Had Mpeg function and everything! Cool.

I've been using a sony DSC-P9, which is their current top of the range small model and its great. Its got lots of features to play with but it can do them all automatically. The screen on the back is great and you get pretty good battery life out of it too. I really like the fact that its not much different in size to a pack of fags and doesn't weigh much so you're happy keeping it in a pocket. Oh and did I say it takes great photos. I bought it for my cousins wedding and her parents prefer a lot of my photos to the ones the pro took! The pics of my car in the gallery were taken using it, though I had to reduce the size of the images as the images are something like 2200x1700!

Chris.

I got one of these in while i was in Thailand

DSCU20LJ.jpg

Picture quality is good enough for what i need, and its small enough to take out.

Best camera i've ever bought, and cheap too

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=8iXugHxCsFbuskJsb5bkizNMH4ymkM_YaUE=?Dept=dcc&CatalogCategoryID=4hsKC0%2eNZHkAAADy0M_Hl%2eBY&ProductID=vEAKC0%2eNczUAAADyR0vHl%2eBd

dave, i'm using a Canon G2 and the benefit is that it can handle a Microdrive

so you got 1G of picture capacity,

i tend to find the small ones to small to get decent pictures with, you tend to shake em cause they are so small....

but then again, you're a midget so they must feel HUGE to you grin.gif

anyway,

if you want i can get you very sharp prices, specially if you bill it to your company,

that way i don't have to charge you VAT

pm me the ones you want, i"ll send you the prices

and you can go comparing with the UK shops

and they got worldwide warrenty so...

I bought the Cannon Ixux 330, and have been well pleased with it. its a 2.1 mega pixel.

there is a V3 version out now with 3.3 megapixel, but it seems to have less features , like the optical zoom is not so large.

I think the V3 is more of an update for the V2, than a replacement for my Ixus 330

I did like the idea of the Fuji SLR style one, but like rob said, you wouldnt want to lug it around.

How much do the G2's run about? The Frau and I are going on vacation back to the States in September, and we were thinking about getting a digicam beforehand. I'd like to keep the cost at around $400, but I want quite a bit of memory so as not to be dependant on downloading too often. I'm mainly a point and shoot kinda guy, but like a good optical zoom, and I tend to "try" and get creative with nature shots. Anyway, I figured it was on topic, so, any recommendations?

Thx,

Dave, the Canon G3 is a pretty damn good camera, with something like 4.0Megapixels resolution.

It has lots of configurable stuff, if you're into that keen amatuer fiddling phase, or you can just point and shoot.

I'd recommend against the SLR route unless you are really keen to use different lenses and like to adjust settings etc. They're heavy to lug around and not exactly convenient for slipping into your pocket when you (say) take this kids on a picnic.

Also, the Nikon CoolPix 885 or 4300 look pretty good too, although I don't know much about them.

In terms of printing, IIRC, a 3-Megapixel camera will give good clear prints up to at least 10x8 - possibly even 12x10 (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong). You'll want more pixels if you plan to do selective enlargement of areas of an image though.

Make sure you count 'real' pixels rather than 'virtual' pixels (think some Fuji camera's quote this) as the latter is just marketing drivel to make you think you're getting a better product.

Trev

I've had jessops develop some of my P9 pics (4 mega pixel) at 6X9 and they're fine, you could probably go much larger than that, there's one I'm thinking of having enlarged even further. I also print some of the pics out on my photo printer at A4 size, I sent a couple to my parents on glossy paper and my mum thought they were real photos!

Chris.

4mp will happily print at 10x8 , but as said before if you want to crop part of the picture then you effectively drop the resolution.

as said the Canon G3 is getting some good writeups, the sony f717 is still the camera they are all compared too but a huge lense to lug about - but has superb night laser focus assistance.

I've got a Minolta Dimage 7 (see pic) which is 5.2mp and has a 28-200 lens giving a 7x optical zoom. Works with Microdrive too, but does tend to eat batteries. Excellent picture quality though. grin.gif

It's too big for going out in the evening with so I'm gonna get something more compact to use as well.

mindd7i.jpg

i tought they were very bad since they are slow and are vulnarble to shocks when accessing the disks

and they cost alot and can't store that many pics

in general i hate sony, cause they don't comply with the others in memory standards

you buy loads of memory sticks and then when you buy a new cam you're srewed if it ain't a sony

Well, my reasoning behind looking at the CD cam, is that the majority of it's use will be while on vacation. We tend to stay out when in the States, so I was looking for a cam with a lot of memory, and the thing about the CD's is, it's 156Mb per CD, and you can get 10 CD's for like, $20. And I can take along a box of CD's, when one's full, just toss it in a bag, and reload grin.gif I can go a whole vacation without having to download pics to clear out my memory. Also, if the pics are saved as std JPEG's then I can toos the CD into any PC to check out, or upload my pics.

Not arguing with ya, just telling you what track I was thinking along.

Anything to add? grin.gif