Backups!!

Mac

IN my PC I have 4 x 200Gb IDE drives in JBOD format.

How the feck do you back your data up? I have about 150Gb of stuff. I have a 35/70 DLT but its no big enough.

Does anyone else get paradroid (sic) about backups or is it just me? I have DVD disks deposited throughout the city.

Why not just reconfigure the drives to be 4 x 200Gb IDE drives in RAID5 format. OK so you'll loose 200Gb of space but you've still got 600Gb and you won't need to worry about losing data through disk failure. Use your existing DLT to backup important stuff. grin.gif

Guys, we do an offsite backup program, it's intended for businesses and uses private leased lines so its a bit expensive. Have a look at www.vbak.com

Do you think there is a market for this product for home users with cable or ADSL, if so what price do you think would be acceptable. It is possible to do it with this software too, we have customers with 100GB of data that are backing up over a 2Mb/s circuit.

[ QUOTE ]

Bearing in mind most ADSL connections upload at 256kbs, I'd say it's a bit of a non-starter. It would take about 3 months to back up 150GB!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I thought at first, don't want to turn this into an advert or anything wink.gif but it works, you're right it does take a bit of time at first, but the way in which it deals with updated files is excellent, only the part of the file that has cxhanged is sent over the wire, nothing too origional there but what is cool is that duplicate files are only sent once, even if they have different file names, all files are compressed and encypted. We typically see a 100:1 compression ratio.