Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
max_b

36" TV .... help wanted....

16 posts in this topic

hi guys

setting up of my new home means theres no budget for a plasma at this time frown.gif so the choice goes to the next best thing, which for me would be a 36" widescreen.....

but which one?

am looking at the TOSHIBA 36ZP38... anybody have this model views/comments or can recommend anything similiar have seen a SONY model but cant remeber the model number (its the one with soft touch controls in the centre of the top of the screen area)

thanks in advance max

beerchug.gif

ive got the toshiba cant fault it the surround kit it comes with is not that good so i bought another amp and speakers much better now grin.gif

I've also got the Tosh, binned the surround speakers dung.gif, and got the neat little Sony kit S550. As the man said much better beerchug.gif

Max, don't waste any money on CRT technology now, it is dying a rapid death and conversely plasma/LCD display stuff is falling in price by the day.

If you must go for a 36" TV, buy a used one or put up with your current TV for a while longer. The 36" telly's are huge, and quite soon will be dinosaurs. Put your £1k towards a plasma/LCD.

I have the 32" version of teh Tosh at home and its a good little TV, i did look at the 36, but ti was soo big!!!

I have a 28" widescreen in my study I use to play games on that you could have at a good price if you wanted to hold fire on the big purchase and get an LCD.

[ QUOTE ]

Max, don't waste any money on CRT technology now, it is dying a rapid death and conversely plasma/LCD display stuff is falling in price by the day.

If you must go for a 36" TV, buy a used one or put up with your current TV for a while longer. The 36" telly's are huge, and quite soon will be dinosaurs. Put your £1k towards a plasma/LCD.

[/ QUOTE ]

colin, i agree in principle, but i still think its going to be a while before plasmas are going to be available to the 'masses' ie down to the prices of crt's, think lcd's will get there first but still at around c.2k for something like a 30" is really more than what i want to spend at this time......wanted something quality that would last me for a few years before actively changing to plasma tech

secondhand idea doesnt sound bad(!)....shao do you want to pm details on model/spec of your 28"

beerchug.gif

oh and views of the sony model i'm on about i think its the the KV36FS76

If the CRT route is your plan at present I cannot parise Loewe enough. Bullet proofe construction and the dogs bits. No idea if there what the second hand market is like as we got ours new last year - 32" Aconda(Approx 1700 new 6 Months ago), very impressed. My dad has a 28" Planus (£700 - 12 months ago) which he is well chuffed with too. My 2p.

Mate, I've always bought Panasonic tellies..I've got big 36 or 38"screen.. can't remember which and they really are superb. You must check them out before your final decision.

I went with a sony S550 surround system too.. fits the panasonic really well and gives me a great system for about £2500

Dave

dave there is a panasonic in contention, its theie latest 36" model, cant remember the model number, would love some views on that aswell as the tosh and sony models.....looks wise the tosh really does take the edge over the other two

ss - mate i must be behind the times, any links to the make of tvs your on about, never heard of them confused.gif

smile.gif

right after some shopping around today, the three models are

TOSHIBA 36ZP38

PANASONIC 36PD30

SONY 36FS76

any more views for the panasonic or sony

dave is your panasonic the above model?

I have that Sony. I got it Jan 2003.

There are lots of comments about it on avforums.com

Many really good and many poor.

I love the TV but I do suffer from pixelation which affects watchign football. I think this is more to do with NTL and it simply being that now I have a 36" it is now visible.

Personally i'd go for the Panny, Toshiba and Sony in that order. I have seen the Panny in 32inch size (PD30) and it was stunning both picture and looks wise. Two of my friends have the Tosh and Sony and both are good sets...the tosh has componant input i think and it looked great.

Can't really give you a review mate.. I've always had panasonics.. I feel that they give me the best picture quality at a good price. They are also really reliable (i've never had one go wrong and I've got 3 sets!)..

The best thing is to go to a big hardware store and try to get the three sets togther for a demo.. when you are spending that much money it shouldn't be too difficult!

Dave

cheers for the replies guys

will let you know what i get....

btw congrats on your new car scotty beerchug.gif

I'd look around and see what you prefere, I looked at pretty much teh same three and got the Tosh because i prefered it to the SOny and the Panasonic.

My 28" (sorry for late reply - no net access) is a JVC, cant remember model, spec, etc as it got it for my games room, but have a 22" LCD instead now.

sk - if i dont end up getting the toshiba, i'll give you a shout re the jvc

cheers max