Locking wheel bolts

Foggy

Wasn't sure where to post this as it's not really technical, but there you go.

Just got some McGard wheel bolts and wondering whether the other guys with them just replaced the original Audi ones or used the two along side each other.

Are there any issues of using two sets together ?

I seem to remember a thread on ASN saying this wasn't such a good idea when Dean suggested it but can't remember why, any thoughts ?

I think its fine to use two sets, i've only just fitted my EVO bolts and found they were a bit tricky to get really tight because i had to use the shitty spanner thing that came with the car

they look like they'll do the job though

How come everybody went for the Mcgaurds in the end then? i thought the EVO's came out better in the test?

The test was in some magazine and the reason we went for the Mc Guard was they were the only ones Thatcham approved

We did a deal with Demon Tweaks which made the nuts come out at £27.70 a set inc UK postage.

The deal is still current so i can buy sets for this price but need to order 5 sets, if you are still interested i can pst in marketplace, just send me a PM incase i dont read this thread for a couple of days

And Foggy in answer to your question I use both the Mc Guard and the Std Audi ones

Actually Drill, the company that makes them is in Germany - so if you lose your key or need a spare you have to send off to Germnay for a new one. I (and MACRS4) can vouch for McGards customer service - I needed a new key (make sure its firmly on the nut before trying to tighten it!) and I received a new one within a week!

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

i've only just fitted my EVO bolts and found they were a bit tricky to get really tight because i had to use the shitty spanner thing that came with the car

[/ QUOTE ]

Dean, i found this with them as well. In fact, i split some of the nuts when trying to get them back off again after about 10k miles of use.. Evo have now strenghtened them, and they will now replace them FOC..

BTW Foggy, I run with 2 of the evo nuts per wheel in addition to the audi locking one no problems - just make sure you space them apart properly..

OK, their number is 01908 646566

I was actually in Milton Keynes having my car looked at, and I visited their premises where they exchanged them on the spot. Give em a call..

Also, they advise using a different type of spanner to the audi one because the spanner has to fit true onto the nut due to their design - otherwise the audi one just slips off - nearly breaking your ankle/foot - especially when trying to get the bastards off..