Cupra R vs 130 TDI

Rich

Don't suppose anyone knows how the 130 bhp matches up to the Cupra R performance wise? Obviously the Cupra R is faster, but how much difference is there on motorway type driving and acceleration from 50-75 etc?? I can't find any accleration timings (except 0-62). Can anyone help.

I have been thinking of downgrading my S3, the diesel Leon is on my list, but I am also considering the Cupra R as a compromise, got the performance etc but price/econmey is more than what I was planning, since most of my driving is motorway I wanted to look how much difference there is between the 2. Also have to admit the R looks sooo much nicer!!

Rich

The guy who live next to me works for seat and he now has a cupra R after having a cupra tdi and the R looks so much nicer.

I recently went through the same kind of choice and ended up with a Bora TDi Highline, far better economy (I have averaged 45mpg with mostly town driving and some motorway since purchase for first 1k miles). I actually went for the Bora because it was a better value for money package.

I love the look of the Leons though.

Well I'm thinking the Cupra R will be like having my S3 (albeit only 2wd) but means I have the loan paid up so will have more free money each month. I would expect if I got a diesel at best my fuel bills may be near on half, so I would save about £70 a month. Baring in mind how much more I would save getting rid of the loan (and I presume Seat servicing costs will be slightly cheaper than Audi) that seems a good compromise and I think I would be a lot happier!! The R does look really nice, although I would want to drive one to make sure its what I'm expecting, as well as seeing how harsh the 18's make it feel??

The other problem would be R's seem to be in Red or yellow. I've seen a couple of blacks, but I think I want the dark grey colour, similar to Dolphin grey, not that I can find any for sale.

Oh and I still want to find the figures just to see what performance difference there is in real world driving.

I test drove a cupra R about this time last year and it was a very good package and certainly worth a spin.

SOmeone on here did work out roughly how many miles a year you need to be doing before a oilburner becomes a better bet to run. I dont think you will be disappointed with the R though, quicker than the S3 due to no 4wd, and they are available in a lovely yellow colour.

[ QUOTE ]

I havent seen a review yet that says its quicker than an S3,

are you sure ??? confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll tell you tomorrow I have a test drive booked in the afternoon...and the demo car is the colour I want and has just reached the age where they are now looking to sell it ECLIPSe.gifbeerchug.gif

Was also thinking about the Cupra 150 PD, but to be honest I think I'll be much happier in the R, even if the diesel does match the sensible requirements better!

• 1 month later...

To try and answer one of the above questions. I have been in the early (210 bhp) LCR with another friend alongside in his (210 bhp) S3. Straight line speeds there was nothing in it! If I had to say one was faster, then the LCR might have the edge, but thats probably due to driver style and gear changes.

I am not so sure the same would be true for track speeds, the S3 has 4WD... But the LCR has those brembo brakes?

My only comparison was 180bhp golf and 225 TT and a spitrited drive back from AMD to our place the Golf was marginally quicker - I am sure on paper that doesnt perhaps coem through, but I would have thought this applied equally as well to the Leon.

Oh and welcoem to TSN mark.

• 1 month later...

Alright chris,

Taking the derv plunge myself, sadly the S2k is now written off so sensible choice should be the Ibiza Cupra 160 tdi i'm getting delivered early next week. Lot more torque than the honda but think i might miss the 9400rpm cut out. Halving my fuel bill should help towards the insurance hike though.

not even a bruise though the car came off a bit worse with a broken chassis shocked.gif i'd definitly recomend a 4 or 5 star ncap car for anyone else 169144-ok.gif 0-60 in 7.6sec is quite impressive fro derv power, not seen any other figures though so not sure what the in gear times are like, should be entertaining enough for a year or so.

• 4 weeks later...

Rich -

Don't underestimate the importance of 4wd in a performance car! Not so much 4wd vs rwd but with 4wd vs fwd the difference is significant.

I have had an A3 1.8T (150bhp) , Golf TDI 150 and then a S3 and the first two (whilst very good cars ) were handicapped in the wet not just in first gear off the line but second also and the golf would even get edgy in third also. The problem with this is that exiting a roundabout required great care - the A3 could change lanes through wheelspin in second gear and the Golf tried even harder but the ESP reigned it in to some extent. The S3 over the same roads had no issue at all despite considerable power advantage such is the level of grip afforded by the quattro system.

I wouldn't say don't change the S3 for a fwd car but certainly make sure you get a reasonable test drive when the road is wet (as it is so often).

Good luck smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Its a done deal now...although only to a temp diesel Focus! Plans for the next car are already in motion now I have found a house and have an idea of the mileage etc I'll be doing. Because I'll be doing about 17k a year at least and my girlfriend needs to cart her show dogs around at weekends, I plan to get some half decent estate, basically lots of gadgets and comfort with little price, currently hitting the top of the list is a diesel Rover 75 (parking sensors, sat nav, cruise less than 2 years old for £11k!!) depending if the performance is enough to keep me happy, but I'm then planning to swap my girlfriends car for a Cupra R that I can then nick for the weekends, the fun time!! Keeps her happy too!! 169144-ok.gif

I know what you mean though, I do miss the 4wd, but I spend most of my time on the motorway, where 4wd doesn't have such an impact. I just need to seriously think about the estate cars available and find one that has the space,spec and performance I want!!

Rich