[Audi A3/S3] Possible DV problem

Booster

Not sure if the DV's are the same or not, but the Rev N is the one to have on the S3. I would of thought you would hear the DV more thsn normal if there was a problem with it. I don't think you'll get a fault code for it.

Rich

You can usually tell if the DV is shot because you'll be able to hear a hiss, hiss, hiss noise between gear changes. It's not so obvious with the car not moving but if you drop the windows and give her a bit of a thrash sekret.gif then you'll be able to hear it if the DV is on it's way out. Basically, you shouldn't be able to hear any dumping (air hissing) noises at all between gear changes. I'm not sure how much Audi charge to change DV's but it's a simple enough job to do yourself.

My S3 doesn't feel as fast as it did but thats more than likely just because i've got used to it. Now where's that Revo...

Firstly, A3 1.8Ts definitely suffer from DV failure, especially if they're chipped. Now, read on...

IME booster, it *is* too much to expect of your average Audi dealer - the thing is, unless they see a fault code on their VAG1551 diagnostic tool, they won't do a damn thing about it!

The effects often associated with failed DVs are sluggish acceleration, loss of boost while changing gear, and possibly funny noises (I've seen these variously described as a "honk", a "hoot", and "the noise you get when you blow across the neck of a Coke bottle", so take your pick...). The problems will be worst if the diaphragm inside the DV is torn - but a weakened spring can be enough to leak a bit of boost and take the edge off performance.

This will only throw a fault code if the difference between the ECU's "requested" and "actual" boost values exceeds a given value, and you'll notice a drop in performance well before that. You will only be able to check your DV's performance on the road, btw - the engine doesn't produce boost while you're stationary AFAIK.

Now - the good news: standard Bosch DVs are cheap (£25-ish from vagparts.com IIRC, but it's always worth checking), they're easy to fit, and the latest revision (Part number 06A 145 710N, by the way) works well. You need to replace the standard single-use hose clips with ordinary jubilee clips, but that's not hard. Bottom line is, unless you can check the difference between "requested" and "actual" boost via VAG-Com, you have to go on your instincts. That said, £25 isn't a huge premium to pay, so you probably haven't got much to lose! wink.gif

There's some more interesting stuff here, which includes comparison tests between the standard Bosch item and the various aftermarket DVs available:

DV Comparison Tests

*phew*

Hope all that helps!

Preacher,

Cheers for that lot! Definitely got the sluggish acceleration and more of a "woosh" noise recently.

Forgive my ignorance but DV does stand for Diverter Valve doesn't it?!? iamwithstupid.gif

Mate of mine is top notch at mechanics whereas I am useless. Think I'll let Audi monkeys service the car and ask them to look at it and if no joy I'll go round to my mates house with a new DV!!

beerchug.gif

Booster,

I had exactly the same feeling as you in that I thought my S3 wasn't as nippy as it used to be. I recently took it into the dealer for an assessment in preparation for one or two minor items to be sorted out under warranty and asked them to check this very point. The only thing they came back with was that they couldn't see any error codes on the VAG-COM (exactly the response predicted above ! smashfreakB.gif). However it did come back with an additional 20 miles on the clock (a bit much for a test drive n'est pas ?), the fuel economy figures through the floor and indications that all of the seats had been used, so it was clearly the lunchtime runabout car for them.....after all why use your own petrol when you can thrash someone else's car to death for a laugh ? grrrrr.... sportifs2.gif

Cheers,

R