1/4 mile @ Inters

Tabs

At inters they had the speed guns to give you your 0-60 as well as the quarter times.

I never managed to get anywhere near what Tabs did though. think I need a bit more practice.

My first attempt resulted in the clutch not engaging. The pedal only came up about half way so the car just bounced off the limiter not going anywhere, same thing in second. frown.gif

J.

Just to throw this out there,

Motor Trend Magazine recorded 14.2 @ 97.6 and 0-60 in 5.9 seconds, bone stock.

Then Road and Track one upped them with 14.1 @ 99.2 and 0-60 in 5.9 seconds..

Anthony Dowd ran 13.9 stock, (although at about 39F)

and VWVortex's VentoVR6Girl threw in a GIAC chip, CAI and lighter wheels and cracked off a 13.8 second run. No one has even touched exhaust and cams yet (other than the flapper mod).

So this begs the question, why aren't we seeing better times from your side of the pond. You guys have a more than a year's headstart on us.

ian

[ QUOTE ]

Motor Trend Magazine recorded 14.2 @ 97.6 and 0-60 in 5.9 seconds, bone stock.

Anthony Dowd ran 13.9 stock, (although at about 39F)

and VWVortex's VentoVR6Girl threw in a GIAC chip, CAI and lighter wheels and cracked off a 13.8 second run. No one has even touched exhaust and cams yet (other than the flapper mod).

So this begs the question, why aren't we seeing better times from your side of the pond. You guys have a more than a year's headstart on us.

ian

[/ QUOTE ]

Ian,

I've been racking my brains about this for last three months. My launches, and 1/8 times are virtually identical to the times the US R32's are posting... Only difference is they've got at least a .5 second advantage.

The only difference I can see is that trap speeds over there are slightly higher - maybe 1 to 2 mph higher than what I'm getting. This is the only difference....

Either our Euro timing gear is out, or American 1/4 mile strips are down hill and have healthy tail winds tongue.gif

I'm off to Santa Pod on the 23rd for some pre GTI festival runs - hoping to break the 13's.

[ QUOTE ]

ian

[/ QUOTE ]

My first run was a disaster. On the second one I got virtually the same in slightly damp conditions.

Only got the software update & a milltek. laugh.gif

Seriously though,

I got a 0-60 time of 6.9secs and 1/4 mile of 15.3(?).

No excuses or anything, the reason for these times were that I launched the car at 1.5k rpm!

I didn't feel happy at launching at 5.5k.

I've done this a few times before, and all I got was a slipping clutch that was slow to come back up, and lots of burning smell!

Can't afford a new clutch just yet!

When you tried launching at high rpms did you purposely slip the clutch, or sidestep it? From what I understand if you're going to try launching at 5.5k rpms then you have to sidestep the clutch to get the clutch to grab quickly and the tires to spin. If you don't, the clutch goes up in smoke. R&T got their best 0-60 time by sidestepping the clutch at redline. No joke, but not recommended either.

If you launch from about 3.5k rpms you can let the clutch out very fast (not just dropping it) with neither excessive clutch slippage or much tire spin. I know some folks here have talked about how poor some of the drag strip surfaces are over there, but I still don't buy it. 4 tires spinning briefly on any paved surface can yield 60 foot times under 2 seconds.

ian

[ QUOTE ]

When you tried launching at high rpms did you purposely slip the clutch, or sidestep it? From what I understand if you're going to try launching at 5.5k rpms then you have to sidestep the clutch to get the clutch to grab quickly and the tires to spin. If you don't, the clutch goes up in smoke. R&T got their best 0-60 time by sidestepping the clutch at redline. No joke, but not recommended either.

If you launch from about 3.5k rpms you can let the clutch out very fast (not just dropping it) with neither excessive clutch slippage or much tire spin. I know some folks here have talked about how poor some of the drag strip surfaces are over there, but I still don't buy it. 4 tires spinning briefly on any paved surface can yield 60 foot times under 2 seconds.

ian

[/ QUOTE ]

I dump at 4100 and side step, then plant, my 60ft times are consistent 1.8's

Can't understand why my times are down? me neither?!

[ QUOTE ]

Seriously though,

I got a 0-60 time of 6.9secs and 1/4 mile of 15.3(?).

No excuses or anything, the reason for these times were that I launched the car at 1.5k rpm!

I didn't feel happy at launching at 5.5k.

I've done this a few times before, and all I got was a slipping clutch that was slow to come back up, and lots of burning smell!

Can't afford a new clutch just yet!

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried launching at 4.1K and my clutch stuck on the second go Ithink I was around 2 maybe 2.5K revs and got almost the ame times as you. My clutch was stinking though so wanted to take it a bit easy...

J.

[ QUOTE ]

iamwithstupid.gif what do you mean by side stepping the clutch?

[/ QUOTE ]

It means slipping your foot off the side of the pedal so the clutch spring, and pedal return spring pops it up as fast as it can. It's something most people do with the brake pedal to varying degrees without a second thought, but have never considered doing to the clutch. It's a fairly abusive way to launch, but is how R&T managed a 5.8 second 0-60 time. I prefer the 3500 rpms, quick release of pedal method myself.

Anyway, if you're pulling 1.8 second 60 foot times, and we assume the cars are making equivalent power to the US-spec R32s, are shifting at redline without hitting the rev limiter, then you should be able to run 14.1-14.2. Which of course begs the question are they all making equivalent power? The trap speed is usually a fairly reliable indicator of power, even if you're running slower times. US spec R32's are trapping between 97 and 99mph, stock.

ian