Hesitation a cure ???

s2000db

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi there ITM, pleased to see that the reset worked for you also...

I think that most people would reccomend that you always put super-unleaded into the R32.

Mind you I put a tank of regular in the other day, and the hesitation is no worse, and the economy has improved a bit.... so who knows!

[ QUOTE ]

Hi there ITM, pleased to see that the reset worked for you also...

I think that most people would reccomend that you always put super-unleaded into the R32.

Mind you I put a tank of regular in the other day, and the hesitation is no worse, and the economy has improved a bit.... so who knows!

[/ QUOTE ]

s2000db you say put Super-unleaded in? Do you mean Optimax or do you realy mean Super-Unleaded?

I thought Super was the replacement for 4Star Leaded. Can yuo really run it in normal Unleaded cars?

shocked.gif

Super unleaded it just 97RON Unleded. Falls somewhere between normal 95 Unleded and the higher 'performance' orientated unleaded fuels (optimax, BP Ultimate)

For those that are interested, Shell are apparentlly releasing V-Power 100RON in the UK later this summer - God knows how much it will cost but should be fun for those of us runnng the APR software who can knock the adaption up a touch 169144-ok.gif

I think the replacement for 4* is LRP (lead replacement petrol).

Super unleaded is the non-branded version of Optimax, ie if you went to an Esso station you'd be offered; regular (or premium) UL, Super UL, Diesel, and LRP...

Hope that helps confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Super unleaded it just 97RON Unleded. Falls somewhere between normal 95 Unleded and the higher 'performance' orientated unleaded fuels (optimax, BP Ultimate)

For those that are interested, Shell are apparentlly releasing V-Power 100RON in the UK later this summer - God knows how much it will cost but should be fun for those of us runnng the APR software who can knock the adaption up a touch 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you thinking what im thinking!! jump.gif

Hope they do. Look forward to seeing 100 RON fuel on forecourts.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Check your fuel flap...the R32 is designed to run on 98RON fuel...you shouldn't be using lower octane.

So...it's Optimax or nothing and probably explains why you guys get so many hesitation problems.

The V-Power rumour has been going around a long time and has never been confirmed.

[ QUOTE ]

Check your fuel flap...the R32 is designed to run on 98RON fuel...you shouldn't be using lower octane.

So...it's Optimax or nothing and probably explains why you guys get so many hesitation problems.

The V-Power rumour has been going around a long time and has never been confirmed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude - up until now my R has been running 98ROn its whole life and I have developed Hesitation problems!

However I would say that after putting a tank of 95RON in, the car drives a whole lot better! znaika.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In 17k miles I've put in purely Optimax (with & without hesitation) bar 3 occasions when Ultimate was used instead. On the 3 occasions I did use Ultimate the car ran quite nicely for about 150 miles, then the hesitation came & went. So sorry Ben, but don't think thats a valid reason.

But, once again, it's nice and warm again & guess what . . . . . . .

ECLIPSe.gif = dung.gif

frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry matey boy, but I think you need to look a little closer.

My fuel flap clearly says 98/95RON, unleaded.

Mine's had one tank of Optimax and a half tank of BP Ultimate in 4500 miles - the rest's been supermarket special, and apart from the hesitation, it's running just fine.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

My fuel flap clearly says 98/95RON, unleaded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I think you'll find it says 95roz. But that could be the same, I have no idea!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Just found this .

[ QUOTE ]

Doug Broome wrote:

Note the item on page 88 of the September/October, 2003 issue of the Star magazine. There, find a discussion by Stu Ritter regarding octane ratings based on RON (Research Octane Number) and MON (Motor Octane Number). Ritter writes, The old 91 RON is equal to today's regular gasoline, with an octane number between 85 and 87 (RON+ MON divided by 2). "This is more than ample for an engine with as low a compression ratio as 8:1."

What does that mean for our Pontons with the 6.8:1 to 8.7:1 compression ratios? The 220S manual specifies 93-95 octane fuel rating according to the Research Method (ROZ). How does 93-95 ROZ equate to today's octane expression?

Stu Ritter answers:

ROZ stands for Reguläre Octan-Zahl which translates to Regulation Octane Number. ROZ is the German equivalent of RON. 93 - 95 RON (ROZ) fuel was fairly low octane in its day. If you remember, or if you don't remember, octane up to 104 and 106 were available at the pumps. An 8.7:1 compression ratio is considered low. There would be no need for premium fuel in such an engine. In the early 1960s, American engines were running as high as 10:1 or 10.5:1 compression ratios for street use. These engines did not have knock sensors. While the cylinder head design of the Ponton engine is fairly archaic and can cause pre-ignition from hot spots, modern fuels have excellent knock prevention. If I owned a Ponton, I would probably run it on middle grade fuel. At altitude, here in Denver, Colorado, I would even think about running it on regular. You are not going to get an 8.7:1 engine to ping on today's fuels.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe that helps.

He he, I deliberately opened this debate before I had chance to do research, having noticed the ROZ this morning. It clearly says 98/95 RON/ROZ so I assumed it meant either 98RON or 95ROZ and not 95RON as one might assume.

Going to do some more RON digging as the details Smudge posted weren't exactly clear to me.

Incidentally, my car doesn't suffer much from hesitation that I've noticed but does run a lot smoother after the 30sec reset.

OK, done a bit more research.

RON and ROZ are identical so it's my mistake.

Those of you with poor performance, can you clarify if your car is completely stock? I know some of you have Miltek exhausts and exhaust valve mods. Some have also got/had APR trial etc.

Who's getting the problem with a stock setup. Also, have you checked the oil recently?

Some cars seem to be worse than others and I'm trying to establish why...

[ QUOTE ]

OK, done a bit more research.

RON and ROZ are identical so it's my mistake.

Those of you with poor performance, can you clarify if your car is completely stock? I know some of you have Miltek exhausts and exhaust valve mods. Some have also got/had APR trial etc.

Who's getting the problem with a stock setup. Also, have you checked the oil recently?

Some cars seem to be worse than others and I'm trying to establish why...

[/ QUOTE ]

Oil checked reguarly and car is as stock.

Optimax fed from birth.

I have done the exhaust mod for a few weeks, but suffered hesitation before, during and still now after returning back to standard.

smashfreakB.gif

Ben, I really don't think the set up issue has anything to do with it. From what I can gather, regardless of whether you are stock, APR, AMD etc etc etc, there are people that have experienced the hesitation.

My first car was stock & was horrid. My next car was stock, & suffered, I then added the Milltek & it seemed to reduce, I had any APR trial & I thought that did the trick but alas no. Am now stock bar the rims & Milltek & I'm suffering still. I'm just glad it's nothing like the last one.

Ho Hum.

Al.