Just ordered a new car and it's not an Audi

Newbie123

[ QUOTE ]

Dude,

can I ask? How much you pay for her? and was there any room for bartering?

Did you PX the R? If so did they steal it from you?

Im looking for something new, TT or Z4 and just interested in any deals.

Been offered 21k for the R, and its only done 5k, is 4 months old and has all the extras you could have, sat nav, crusie, sunroof!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not actually buying it, it's going through the company on contract hire for £290 per month. I decided to pull all my capital out of cars and just cover the depreciation etc.

I traded the R32 in for the A3 after about 6 months and did lose a fair amount, but I think the used values have dropped even further on similar aged cars now frown.gif, seems to be quite a few for sale at present.

I think there are deals to be had on the bigger engined Z4 but dealers can't seem to get enough of the 2.2.

beerchug.gif

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey I know now that I'm being really nosy! But what sort of mileage do they limit you to by doing contract hire?

Do you do that through the dealer or a 3rd party?

Thing is I need a car for work use, on which I claim back milleage and from what I know about contract hire (very little), it sounds interesting!

Newbie, personally I'd go for the black as I'm not such a huge fan of the 'olive' colour.........but that's just me! I do think that perhaps the Black is slightly more 'masculine' too........ wink.gif

Beast - from experience, you can specify what annual mileage you want to do with the contract firms - they then set the rentals accordingly and if you exceed them you get bent over a desk and severely 123576-assfeck.gif in terms of excess mileage charges....

smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

If you purchase the car at the end of the contract hire period do you still get stung for the mileage?

GO with the Olive it looks great and you wont blend in like all the rest of the Z4 crowd with silver or Black or Blue.

[/ QUOTE ]

No - I don't think you do SK, same as on a PCP or the like. Unless the car has had to go in for a service recently and is on a maintenance inclusive package, then they won't know the mileage I guess ?

I KNEW you'd say go for the olive.... wink.gif I've actually seen far more olive Z4's than black ones on the road (perhaps just round here) which is part of the reason I'd go for black....

I see a couple of Z4s regular around home one this olive colour and one that looks like Laguna Seca blue and I must say I think the car really suits the lighter brighter colours, but I do mean colours not liek Silver which is a bit of a lighter brighteer lack of colour!!!!!

Ok, well I popped into the local dealership at lunchtime, and by a quirk of fate they had a silver and black Z4 lined up side by side and then an olivin one pulled up as I was looking at the other two.

It's a fairly overcast day and I have to say that the olivin looks very nice with the sun on it, but once it clouded over, it seemed very dull and not my cup of tea. I've never seen a car change colour that fast confused.gif

I first saw one a couple of weeks ago when we had that hot sunny spell, and I didn't get to see it when it was a bit darker, glad I have now.

So it's defiantely the black, as JHT says it just seems to look meaner, and that's in all light levels. Silver was just too boring for me NONO3.GIF

I guess if I've got to keep it for 18 months I've got to get the colour right znaika.gif

Thanks for the views gentlemen beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Hey I know now that I'm being really nosy! But what sort of mileage do they limit you to by doing contract hire?

Do you do that through the dealer or a 3rd party?

Thing is I need a car for work use, on which I claim back milleage and from what I know about contract hire (very little), it sounds interesting!

[/ QUOTE ]

As JHT says you can set the mileage to whatever you want at the start. The usual contract is 10000 miles per year (i.e 15000 on the 18 month contract I've gone for). But they'll quote on any mileage over that for comparison. My excess mileage charge is 7.5p per mile.

If you're looking at doing it personally then you'll have to add on VAT of course but the rate shouldn't increase. You won't actually get the option to buy the car at the end of the deal. If you want that option then you'll have to look at either lease purchase or a pcp deal. Which usually means more per month than contract hire but you do have the option to buy.

My deal has been done through a 3rd party finance company as the rates are much lower than the dealers will offer. There are some good offers out there at the moment, for example (from memory) I was offered the following.......

Volvo S60 D5 £230 per month on a 1 or 2 year deal

Jaguar X-type 2.0D classic £220 per month on a 1 or 2 year deal

MX-5 1.8 sport £180 per month on an 18 month contract.

(all plus VAT of course)

Have a look in the back of Whatcar there are dozens and dozens of contract hire offers.

beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Any pics ??? EEK2.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

See the TT forum. wink.gif

Black Z4 looks good. In fact this is the colour I've seen more than any other. I was sitting int traffic last night and had one in front of me (roof down) and another just two cars in front. Both black. The one in front had the roof up - WTF?!! What's the point it the roofs up one a lovely evening! crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Any pics ??? EEK2.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

See the TT forum. wink.gif

Black Z4 looks good. In fact this is the colour I've seen more than any other. I was sitting int traffic last night and had one in front of me (roof down) and another just two cars in front. Both black. The one in front had the roof up - WTF?!! What's the point it the roofs up one a lovely evening! crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll check them out lol.gif

I saw 2 A4 cabs and 1 boxster yesterday all with their hoods in place NONO3.GIF Ari would have had convulsions! Plus I spotted that stupid black A4 cab again, with the 6 inch high prancing horse ornament stuck on the end of the bonnet! Some people deserve a good slap.gif

Newbie, the black is definately a good choice. 169144-ok.gif

I booked a test drive Tuesday of a Z4 (your fault) and an M3. From the line of used Z4's that they had, only the black one did it for me. They didn't have a demo 3.0 lt so I took the 2.5 out which felt quite a nice leisurely, relaxed drive. I suppose it all depends on how sporty or comfortable you want your soft top to be, but I couldn't really fault the Z4 although I didn't drive it hard (except trying the DSC on one roundabout, where I think even the sales guy enjoyed that) as it isn't to me that sort of car until they bring a higher output engine out. If I were to critisize anything about the car it would be the lack of bolstering in the seats although it is easy to get in and out. smirk.gif

Good looking car though in a Bangle sort of way. The later BMW deigns are growing on me and I do like the new 5 series. smile.gif

Cheers 18ME, you really should try the 3.0L out it really is quite a bit quicker ECLIPSe.gif

I just happened to take a 3.0L for a spin wink.gif and it certainly isn't slow notworthy.gif I can only imagine how good an M version will be 169144-ok.gif

BTW any idea what wish is getting next? I see he has also managed to sell his 2.0TDI very quickly.

beerchug.gif

I had a 330ci sport last year and that has the same engine in and I know the Z4 will be lighter but it wasn't the fact of the lack of poke, it was just that it felt more like a cruiser than a bruiser. I did go to the test drive in the 550 though so it may have been a bit unfair to make any sort of comparison.

I know Wish isn't getting another Audi because of a post on boxa.net but he didn't say what he's getting. He doesn't like BMW's although I think he had his name down on a X3 and they hit the road last weekend, so you never know. wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I had a 330ci sport last year and that has the same engine in and I know the Z4 will be lighter but it wasn't the fact of the lack of poke, it was just that it felt more like a cruiser than a bruiser. I did go to the test drive in the 550 though so it may have been a bit unfair to make any sort of comparison.

I know Wish isn't getting another Audi because of a post on boxa.net but he didn't say what he's getting. He doesn't like BMW's although I think he had his name down on a X3 and they hit the road last weekend, so you never know. wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, well I guess the 550 might be a wee bit better ECLIPSe.gif

Looking on the Mk-iv forum it looks like he's got a MkV GTI on order, who knows what he'll get in the meantime though?

beerchug.gif

Hey Newbie - I had a look at Z4's before I ordered my Boxster. Nice car and much cheaper......they were just about to add Estoril Blue to the line up, which is a stunning colour (you know the one that used to only be available on M3's). I said to the dealer, "I want a 3.0 litre in Estoril, with a blue hood, anthracite epsiloid (whatever) wheels and grey leather inside". He said, "I can do the estoril colour. But not the wheels, hood or leather interior colours". So I left. A bit pants, I thought.

Jezzaaa,

Yep I think for the money the Z4 2.2 is a great package, not sure about the estoril blue though, is it that really bright light blue ?? It's not mentioned on the net anywhere for the Z4. Anyway I think I prefer by stealth fighter black option FIREdevil.gifgrin.gif

I'm guessing your boxster is going to blue, blue hood, grey leather and anthracite wheels then wink.gifgrin.gif Any pics ???

beerchug.gif

Newbie,

I took delivery of a Z4 3.0 SE last july and i went for black like quite a few others.

The options I ended up with are as follows:-

18" elipoidal wheels

Hi-Fi Carver

Xenons + wash

Rear park

Heated Seats

Wind deflector

6 disk

Beige Leather (opps)

As is was a 3.0 it came with auto lights, wipers & RVM, electric seats, sports sus and run flats of course.

I found that the sports sus along with the run flats and 18" wheels made the ride bloody uncomfortable - it also started to shake the trim loose. Rattles from the hood are common on rag tops but the dash and bulkhead started to rattle too (another guy in my office has had the same problems with his Feb'04 3.0 - he went over a pothole and the passenger glass slid down inside the door - roof up in the rain). Mine went back 5 times to have rattles and trim attended to.

I got out of it a month ago because I was worried about build quality and long term residuals seem to have softened but as your will be leased - no problems there.

On the option front, I never used the wind deflector (it cut down on cop watching through the rear screen with the roof up and you don't really need it with the roof down)

The rear park is not needed as you'll see when you take delivery - the boot is so short.

The xenons are great and I won't spec a car without them (had a couple of 3's with Xens before the Z) - on the Z4 normal lights are said to be a bit weak.

Steer well clear of light interiors - should have known better myself.

The only option you must not be without is the carver hi-fi - without it the stereo is crap, even with the roof up (my mate at work is kicking himself for not ordering it after having a go in mine) - be warned.

The 3.0 has some kick to it - it's quite light (all have plastic bonnets by the way) and the 18" really hang on. On a typical run I'd average 28mpg but get to some twisties and that goes some way south.

I really enjoyed it but I was disapointed by the build quality and bone jarring ride - I hope your 2.2 won't suffer in the same way.

Get the Carver hi-fi added to the order ASAP - trust me - and enjoy, I think the 2.2 will be a better allround package.

Tubby