Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bison1379134007

Is my ESP fecked?

8 posts in this topic

So about 2 weeks ago i had an ice and no stopping incident of doom... ended up with a cracked rear bumper...

now i thought the reason i couldn't stop at all was... a) its icy and b) my tyres were pretty old...

so i change my tyres and all is well..

so its icy again tonight and again im having REAL issues slowing the beast down... ABS working over time...

SO i turn ESP off just for a play and i notice the braking seems better... back on, and its [censored] again...

Question: can ESP be taking action when the little orange light isn't on? or am i imagining it?

B,

How did you end up hitting your rear bumper? Did you spin the unspinable? wink.gif

ahhaha it was one of those... "well nick, it looks like your gonna crash... whats gonnna be the cheapest part of the car to fix? Yeah.. not the front... ok lets take evasive action!"

type moments... you ever had one? everything seems like a good idea at the time...

so i took my foot off the brake and floored it with right turn action... would have made it to if it wern't for those pesky kids... but yeah get the thing to piroit like a good un and just caught my back end on the way past the object of doom...

could have been worse mind... the CLK 20 seconds behind me wrote his car off...

so yeah... im going out to experiment with the esp today... and if it was that fecking me over im gonna be asking for a new bumber for nowt...

seeing as i changed my brakes i've got feck all chance though.

My handobook says to turn off ESP if it's icy! Seems a bit stupid when this is when you want it most.

Cant comment on the ESP issue but I can definately sympathise with the Audi ABS of DOOM. I've had a couple of near misses. Its unfortunate that you've damaged your car but at least you had time to react and make a decision, to go for the rear end.

Dont know what other experiences you've had with ABS on other cars but I think the Audi's is a bit too sensitive.

Can it be disengaged? I think I'd rather be in control in conditions like this, at least you can decide when to pump the pedal.

ok just did some hardcore experiments on the ice involving side ways s3s....

my conclusions...

ESP makes no difference to braking on ice at all... i made it up... well that is till you brake and go sideways... but even then i can't say it was a better braking experience.

ESP ON can get you going pretty quick if you have a lead right foot... ESP off and lots of gas the car kinda stays still and shuffles around the road....

however, if you manually pump the brake pedal you definatly get some quicker stopping going on... which is sad.... you'd havw thought the computer could realise it was on really low friction surface and adjust its lock and release pattern... as i have to say it does work well on the dry when you wanna brake hard and still be able to turn... on the ice - not sooo much!

here endeth my playing in the ice session.

Ive found with the ESP on itss harder to get sideways.

The old 90 quattro 20v adopted a good idea, you could turn the ABS off manually which seemed much better i snowy conditions.

Why do they drop good things!

Lee

ABS is supposed to make your car's wheels not lock up so you can steer it while braking. That's what it does. It is sensitive, but I've found that it does just what it's supposed to. I'm willing to bet you would have written the car off without ABS. It would have probably spun the instant you slammed on the brakes, or at least gone a little sideways because of uneven grip (tires, surface). Much more dangerous IMO.

I had a funny situation in my Golf IV. I was driving down this one-lane very narrow cobblestone street and suddenly a Fiat 126 (Maluch, maly Fiat) drove out of a side street and stopped. I was doing around 20km/h on pure ice, and the Fiat stopped and I saw its rear wheels spinning, but it couldn't get and grip so it just stood there. I was still around 50 metres away from it (quite a way at my speed) and I slammed on the brakes. Of course the car ever so slowly started to slow down, I slammed it into first gear, no difference. I could tell I was going to destroy my front end and the rear side of the Fiat. At the last possible instant I let go off the brake, turned the wheel to the right as much as it would go and jumped a curb (at least 20-30cm high at 15km/h). The hit was so loud that I though I tore off my front bumper on the curb, it being so high and all. All I remember is I was suddenly on the sidewalk, people were scattering left and right (about 5 of them) and since it was covered in snow, I stopped a few metres later. I got out, checked out the bumper - not a touch on it. OK, so it must have been one of the front wheels. I check them out... a little scratch on the right front. Hmm, then I've got to go check the suspension and wheel alignment now. Great. I go over to the woman in the damned Fiat and she starts swearing at me that I almost ran her down. Yeah right I said, you stop in the middle of the road, driving out of a sidestreet - it was your fault. fekr.gif She started screaming something at this point. I believe I slammed the door on her Fiat fuck_scott.gif shut at this point so she would shut up and just left. Later that day the alignment, wheel balancing and suspension inspection checked out ok - nothing bent or broken, wheels straight and just that scuffed bit on the wheel. I have to give it to those OZ wheels I had - tough mothers.