Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Simonl

3.2 WHY OH WHY!!!!!

44 posts in this topic

I can't believe how many people are getting totally caught up in this 'my car's better than yours' argument about the 330 v A3 3.2 argument. I thought that people chose the car they wanted and got on with driving it. I have friends who own 330ci's and some who own various Audi's ( and one who is about to get an A3 3.2). The A3 is a touring car that is not advertised as a sports car in the M3 league, nor is the 330ci. They are mini executive expresses for getting from A to B quickly and comfortably. Audis appeal toa different type of customer than BMs, and neither is any better than the other. Wait for the new RS/S3 to come out and see if that satisfies those who think that sub 7 secs 0-62 is not fast enough. These are not track cars and were never designed to be. If ypu want a true sports car then go and buy one - saloons and hatches are not sports cars!

Our point exactly, but the magazines seem to disagree by putting them up against EVO's and Impreza's... on a track!!!!

Anyway, without healthy, 'my car's better than your car' discussions, where would we be... not all of us want to discuss topics like 'how to fit S3 Recaros into a standard A3'

(oops, probably offended half the Forum now!!!)

My take on it - having ordered a 3.2 S line manual two weeks ago, is that the A3 3.2 is a phenomenal all-rounder.

The BMW handles better in the dry (but not by that great a margin as the magazines would suggest). Indeed, there is something of a 'rear wheel drive is always best' motoring myth. Around a dry circuit, or even around some nice dry English A roads, rear wheel drive is probably superior for the (well?) above average driver; i.e. a driver that can instinctively correct oversteer. (Of course, with more power and with a more finely balanced chassis this becomes increasing difficult.)

But in the real world, where one has to drive over badly maintained, and all too often wet or damp, British roads I would take four wheel drive everytime.

Throw in the more modern design of the Audi, hatchback practicality, more power (and a better sounding engine), and the best perceived quality in the (mass) market and I would have chosen the Audi over the BMW even if they were priced the same.

[ QUOTE ]

I would trust the view of someone who drives the majority of cars which come on sale.

I realise this site is geared towards Audi (remember where it came from) and therefore there will be a pro-Audi view, same on Scoobynet, RSOC etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting, you assume the press is not biased (maybe because they happen to say what you want to hear? Would you still think so if they were to slate BMW?), yet you state this site is 'biased', simply because there's a majority of Audi drivers. This site consists of many individuals, all with their own experiences, good AND bad. Whereas the majority of press is a rather incestuous clique of parrots. I know what I'd trust more...

As for me, I bought my Audi before I joined TSN, and my motivation to do so was mine alone (although the S8 had some excellent reviews). So are my experiences with the brand. They are my findings, based on comparisons with a multitude of previous cars I was fortunate enough to own/drive.

I'm not getting into this 'my car is better than yours' BS, merely stating your generalizations are unfounded. Like this one:

[ QUOTE ]

Asfor the 4WD v's RWD, I WOULD prefer 4WD, but the driving experience of EVO's and in particlular, Subaru's, shows that 4WD cars can have excellent steering and fluid chassis, Audi has not managed to do this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which Audi 4WD? Torsen? Haldex? You just brush them together and slate them all... Have you ever owned an RS4, RS6 or S8? Probably not, or you'd see how inaccurate the comment above really is.

You say you're not biased, but I've seen you slate many cars, brands and even entire nations of car builders on here. So maybe you are biased without even realizing it.

Me, I say 'horses for courses'. Fortunately we all have our preferences. As far as RWD cars go, BMW (sport) offers great handling. Subaru makes great 4WD rallye cars (just not my cup of tea as a road car). And as for Audi, they are the only brand who managed to combine the best of everything, and make some incredibly fast, luxurious cars, with excellent handling and comfort.

I've had a multitude of BMW's, Porsches, Jaguars and whatnot. They all had their own pro's and con's, and I look back on most of them with fondness. However, if you want it all, plus the superb Quattro handling, there's only one. And all that in a pleasantly understated 'nothing to prove' exterior. You just have to love it! Well, I do anyway.

And if we narrow it down to the A3 (instead of the entire brand); you can't compare that to a rally car, nor cars in an entirely different price range. The 3.2 is a powerful high end hatch (and a good one at that), not a rallye or race car.

I've owned both Audi and BMW and my main criticism of Audi is that they always seem to put the engine above/infront of the front wheels which does not make for great handling. This is fact; look at the RS4/RS6/TTV6/S3 for example. They are very quick in a straight line but have alot of understeer, which although safe, doesn't make for an interesting drive. Quattro or haldex doesn't make that much of a differnce with the engine that far forward, it will still understeer. The new S4 is a lot better!

BMW have consistently built cars with engines placed further back in the engine bay, creating a less nose-heavy car and almost always have 50/50% weight distribution. This combined with a rear-wheel creates a balanced drive laugh.gif

Have a look at this test of an Audi TT V6 and you'll begin to understand what I mean;

Right-click and save-as

Yeah, that S4 beat the M3 on that very same track BTW... wink.gif

Some Audi's are prone to a bit of understeer, some are not. Like the S8, which is pretty neutral, with the possibility to provoke oversteer if you want to.

And as for 'interesting', that will always be a matter of preference I guess. I'm not bored just yet.... grin.gif

PS: I never owned a TT, but I can't help but feel that vid shows some very poor driving skills, combined with suggestive comments by the fat bloke. I mean, turn the sound off and watch it again... And where does it end? Above the R32. Is that so bad? And where else should it end? wink.gif

So put yourself in my shoes, I'm currently only driving a standard A3 1.8 and looking to upgrade to a new A3 next year but with the higher fuel consumption of the V6 is it really worth the extra fuel costs? Fair enough its a hugely powerful car with all the refinements you expect from the A3, but who would rather get a current high-spec S3 instead........considering that the shape has now been superceded??

How does the current S3 compare in actual driving performance with the 3.2 V6? Or are they too different to compare?

Whilst the steering - when pushing on a bit - does not give you the same level of feedback you would get from an 'old' S3, the general handling is improved due to the more modern chassis. Also, the naturally aspirated V6 is far better than the (albeit lightly) blown 1.8 four cylinder unit in the S3. I also think the old A3 now looks very dated, especially at the front.

My car before my 3.2 V6 was a peugeot 307 turbo diesel. I think my A3 is the dogs, more than quick enough for my skills grin.gif, and compared to my last motor it handles like an F1 car. I for one, love it.

What is the fuel consumption like on the 3.2 and would anyone here consider the 2.0T when it becomes available??

the mpg is around 26, quoted by audi as an estimate. but you be more likely to be hitting around low 20s and in the teens if you drive fast..

the 2.0Turbo will be more economical. beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

the mpg is around 26, quoted by audi as an estimate. but you be more likely to be hitting around low 20s and in the teens if you drive fast..

the 2.0Turbo will be more economical. beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like I'd probably be getting around 15-20mpg then!! jump.gif

Before I ordered my 3.2, I had a Scooby for three years. That car, IMO, was the biggest crock of sh1t ever to grace my driveway. The word "better" can be applied to many things, but with regards the 3.2 vs my WRX, on the few hours that I drove the test car before placing the order:

Build quality is better on the Audi

The engine is better on the Audi (WRX was lumpy)

Transmission was better on the Audi (clutch judder anyone?)

Cabin noise, (lack of) was better on the Audi

Fuel consumption at 80mph was better on the Audi

Don't even talk about depreciation.....

Different people like different things from their cars; my mistake was listening to far too many people, reading too much crap on the internet (ScoobyNet) and the magazine reviews like thoese mentioned above, which nearly always slag off Audi's. This will be my forth Audi, the WRX before it was my first and last Subaru. (the car which had bubbles of rust coming through in various places after just three years)

As for BM's.... never been a fan after driving a 325i Sport in the rain a good few years ago. I had a 330dSE the other week. Great motorway car, but that's about it.

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that S4 beat the M3 on that very same track BTW...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, so now it's ok to believe what motoring journalist says?? yelrotflmao.gif

Never believe what a what motoring journalist says!! He/she knows how to write and that is it! Then they go home at night in their Ford Mondeo - (nothing against Ford Mondeo's but...) NORMALLY!

Well, I'm glad most of you are so enamoured with these great drivers cars.

I for one though, won't but another Audi until they sort out their chassis' deficiencies, this thread has become a bit blinkered, so over and out on this topic for me I'm afraid, bye!

the_finger.gif

don't go man! never walk out on a good argument.

I like BMWs and I like Audis. It seems to me that people only believe the motoring press when it suits them. You shouldn't do that. It's ignorant. Loddrik was just expressing his view and he got shot down by, what i see, a bunch of Audi zealots. Just accept that the 3.2 got its ass-f**ked in a group test and move on. beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that S4 beat the M3 on that very same track BTW...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, so now it's ok to believe what motoring journalist says?? yelrotflmao.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I saw that one on the telly, they always show the truth no? jump.gif