New Tyres

rterry

I knew the time would come when I need to fork out for new rubber, and it's coming in about 0.4 mm !

Anyway, before I hack off an arm and two legs, I wondered what your experiences were with different brands of tyres - I run an S8 with the 20" wheels, so whatever I go for is going to cost a few quid !!

Regards

Richard

Hi Richard,

My S8 also has the 20" wheels and I would recommend the Michelin Pilot Sport (255/35/20).

These are hard wearing and importantly have a stiffer sidewall than most. This will help to protect the inner rim from deforming should you hit any large holes.

I ran P-Zero tyres on a previous RS4 and had issues with the wheels bending (this was before Audi UK offered the hard rims or lifetime replacement of the soft rims). As soon as I switched to Pilot Sports the wheel bending disappeared.

I also took the RS4 to some track days and the Pilot Sports were hugely better than the P-Zeros.

I can't comment on comparisons with other tyres but have heard through talking to people at track days that the Pilot Sports are particularly hard wearing while still offering superb linear and transverse traction.

You are probably looking at 1k for the 4 but hey, its worth looking after the beast cool.gif

beerchug.gif

Jon

I have Continental Sport Contact 2's on 19's. Bit cheaper than the pilot sport's but very quiet and good grip. Prior to that I ran Avon ZZ1's on 18's, directional tyre, middle of the range, again good grip but were noticeably less "grippy" as the tread wore down below half way !! frown.gif . I have also had Uniroyal rainsport's, these were fairly quiet, good grip in the dry and I'd say excellent in the wet, the best bit is they gained more grip as they wore down. They were right on the legal limit when I changed them and they still had fantastic grip, wet or dry smile.gif. I guess it all boils down to price, MIchelin sports are very good but are probably one of the most expensive.

[ QUOTE ]

Just had my 4 new Goodyear F1s GSD3 installed on my 4.2 Quattro Sport smile.gif

They are certainly quiet. Very, very good wet and dry grip.

169144-ok.gif£514 from www.mytyres.co.uk

[/ QUOTE ]

As "AnArtist" says, try mytyres. i got a recent set of tyres from them, very good and quick service, and saved me a load of cash (even after having to pay for seperate fitting)

If you dont want to buy online, speak to a small independant tyre place, not kwikfit/etc, it will save you loads.

The *NEW* Michelin PS get very good test reports on www.tirerack.com (American, but a great resource to check out tyres!). They are allegedly better than the previous ones.

Personally I went for Dunlop SP Sport 9000 for the S8, after careful deliberation. Excellent in the wet (a very important point in our climate IMO) as well as on dry surfaces, good comfort & noise level, and better than average wear. Also they come with an 'Y' rating, very important if your limiter is non existent!

They feel very safe in all conditions, and they do not squeal or anything. They are rather sensitive for tyre pressure, which can be a good thing to find your desired comfort/handling level. I tend to run them a bit higher than std.

I haven't measured the thread, but after +10K kms they still look 'like new'.

I can recommend them, and would probably buy them again.

Whatever you do, don't go for the Pirelli P6000's. I've got them on my A8 4.2 Quattro Sport and they're shite!!!!

The grip in the dry is ok, but in the wet!!! Thank god for 4 wheel drive!! My next purchase will probably be Michelins or Dunlop 9000's

Hi, I am new to this forum. I have an A8 4.2 Q Sport 1997, 5 spd tip, in cashmere. 188K miles too!

However, I have 4 P6000 (245/45/18s) on it, they seem OK and seem to be lasting the distance, a mix (90/10) of cruising and 'enthusiastic' driving. I have just bought 2 brand new P Zero Rosso's on eBay for £230 - for when the P6000 need replacing. Forthought as this will be expensive!

mytyres does look good on price.

Regards

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all your thoughts - at the end of the day, my choice was pretty limited due to what is available for 20" rims ! Anyway, I decided to make the switch and have gone for the Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tyres - about £50 per tyre more expensive than the Pirelli's, but the hell - it's only money and I really didn't like the way the car handled with the P Zero Rosso's.

So far I've done the sum total of 60 miles on them and my initial conclusions are good - they run a lot quieter than the Pirelli's and don't seem to want to tramline anywhere near as much. Once the slippery coating has worn off, I'll let you know what they're like around a corner (at a somewhat higher speed than I've done so far grin.gif )

Next up could be a little remapping of the ECU ... had a race with an M3 the other day, and he only just beat me (but then again, I did have to slow down to avoid steamrolling a 306 that got in the way !!).

Good choice methinks! cool.gif The extra money may well pay itself back in the end. I doubt very much the Michelins will wear that quick as Pirelli's. wink.gif

I'd be very interested in your findings, I'm still good, but when the time comes the choice may well be between the present Dunlop SP 9000 or Michelin PS2.

PS: if you go for a remap, pick a good tuner and be sure to tell them what you want. IMO low end - full range torque is more important than a few extra HP at the top end. wink.gif

Oh, and forget rolling roads, I'm pretty convinced by now they're rather useless on these cars. They are outsmarted by the electronics, and the gearbox doesn't help either. I've yet to hear about an accurate reading on and S8 or RS6.

I'll keep that in mind when I go for the remap - funnily enough, what you suggested was exactly what I think the car needs - it's the low down torque that seems to be a little light (relatively speaking wink.gif), so I'd want that addressed as part of the map - will help the car get off the mark more promptly.

Apart from AmD and Superchips, are there any other UK based remapping recommendations out there ?

There's also Revo, but most guys on here go AMD I think. Important would be a 'tailored' chip, no 'off the shelf' stuff.

PaulC had his S8 done at AMD, chip + Miltek. He was happy with it I think. (Untill he came across an RS6 and had that chipped...) grin.gif