Yerk! cr*p fuel economy

s4dreamer

Just filled up and found that my car did under 29mpg on the last tankful - that's down from 32mpg, on the previous tankful, which was down from 35mpg on the one before that!

I have not driven any differently, and the only obvious change is that the weather has got slightly colder.

I've not added the Millers this time, just in case it is the cause.

At this rate of consumption, I might as well be driving a petrol-engined car frown.gif

Rich, my normal journeys are "down to the shops" - 2-3 miles a pop.

However, that's what they've been like since I got the car, so that alone can't explain why the fuel consumption has got progressively worse.

I'm off to The White House now for some beer and a mixed grill, so we'll see how it does today and tomorrow evening on those trips.

It'll probably be worse on the way back, with you a couple of stone of mixed grill heavier. smile.gif

Trev it's probably just cos of the bad weather we've been having, nowhere to give it a good blast to clean the soot out. Mine is running like a dog at the moment due to the cold. Very lumpy when it starts up but quietens down after a few miles.

Releasing the handbrake while driving might help... grin.gif

seriously, you should get this checked, it is probably due to a faulty sensor causing the ECU to inject too much diesel. Have you noticed any performance degradations?

By the way, is this average consumption displayed by the trip computer? Have you manually verified this number?

Thanks for the suggestions worfke...

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

Releasing the handbrake while driving might help...

[/ QUOTE ] D'oh!

Have you noticed any performance degradations?

[/ QUOTE ] The car was running a little rough on the last tankful - especially when just started. Other than that, the performance seemed pretty much the same.

By the way, is this average consumption displayed by the trip computer?

[/ QUOTE ] No, I don't have the trip computer - the 28.6mpg was from when I filled up!

I did 120 miles yesterday and the range shown on the DIS seemed to indicate that it was doing better, although it may still be short of its best. Will do another 120 miles today and then fill up to see how I've done. If it hasn't recovered to around 35mpg, the car will be off to the dealers for a check-up.

Okay, so I've done 270-odd miles in two days and it's taken just over half a tank.

As I don't have the DIS computer, I can't see what mpg I've averaged, but this seems more like the 35+mpg I had been getting. Although, to be fair, I was getting that around town, and most of the 270 miles was motorway/fast A road.

So, it looks like it might have been an abberation. Still keeping an eye on it though, but there doesn't seem any urgent need to visit the dealer.

• 2 weeks later...

I've an A4 130tdi Quattro which has now done 6000 miles and I average 37mpg. This is with a mixture of A, B roads and motorway. Audi reckon I should be seeing 50 with a realistic 45mpg. Same old story when I question them is let it free itself off first. I've also been told to "rev' it hard for a couple of tankfulls...That should do the trick"

...John

I've also been told to "rev' it hard for a couple of tankfulls...That should do the trick"

[/ QUOTE ]

Next thing, Audi will recommend you do donuts in your motor every now and again, and get those coloured washer jet things!

• 3 years later...

[ QUOTE ]

DIESEL AINT THAT MUCH MORE BETTER ON FUEL ROUND TOWN THAN PETROLS DUE TO THE TURBO ITS A CON ID CONSIDER SELLING MY 110 PASSAT ANYDAY GO FOR PETROL. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you joking? I used to get 35+ round town in my 130TDi and now I'm getting 18-20 round town in my 1.8T.

[ QUOTE ]

DIESEL AINT THAT MUCH MORE BETTER ON FUEL ROUND TOWN THAN PETROLS DUE TO THE TURBO ITS A CON ID CONSIDER SELLING MY 110 PASSAT ANYDAY GO FOR PETROL. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You must have something wrong with your car mate.

I was returning 47 average round town this morning and then saw 53 average at nearly a tonne on the way to Hove this afternoon.

Nothing above one litre in petrol form could compete with that.