Wot, no clutch

s4dreamer

The wife went to dig her Golf out of the snow this morning and found that the clutch pedal had gone missing.

After a bit of furkling around in the pedal department, it was determined that the clutch pedal had planted itself on the floor, and was refusing to return to its normal position.

A quick turn of the starter reveals that the clutch is well and truly engaged frown.gif

There's no apparent fluid leak from what I can see under the car.

Anyone got any ideas ?

Car's out of warranty and we don't have home-start on our breakdown cover frown.giffrown.giffrown.gif

For those of you who are interested, or those who have found this post from a search, the answer appears to be that it is a known problem with VAG cars and is a faulty master cylinder, which has to be replaced.

The good news (as far as getting the car going again is concerned) is that if you pull up the clutch pedal by hand - which is very easy - it starts working again smile.gif

Going to work on getting the dealers to do it as a warranty job - even though the car is out of warranty.

Further to this, another Golf owner has commented that they've had the same problem happen, and that it has only happened in cold weather. The suspicion appears to be that there is a cable linking the pedal to some other part of the clutch assembly and this can snag.

Anyway, the car's working normally now (I'm happy to report), so I'm not going to do anything further about it unless the fault recurs.