Future Classics

AquilaEagle

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the Fiat Coupe. Fast, fun and a good looking if you can find one that has not been thrashed to b*ggery hold on to it.

The Saab 900 (80s one) in both turbo charged 3 door and convertable form will surely be a classic, if nothing else because unlike most 80s cars these things keep on going.

If not already considered a classic, the Sierra Cossie, Lancia Integrale & Audi Quatro will be. The Peugot 406 Coupe deserves to be too as it is a very good looking car.

• 2 weeks later...

Bit late,but hey......

968 Club Sport-Rare and brilliant

BX 16v-Rare and mega-underrated

Xantia Activa(not biased,honest!)-one of,if not the best handling front drive car!(1.1g)

First M3-Probably the EVO or unabused early examples

Integrale-If there are any minters left!

944 Turbo-Silver Rose Edition from 1988

NSX-V.rare with amazing N/A engine proving you don't have to use turbo's! 169144-ok.gif

• 1 month later...

Hyundai Lantra. I'm sure there will be a fully restored example in Practical Classics & Child Molester in 2020 and how he wanted to relive those childhood memories of being laughed at.

Loot at some of the poo that's being restored now. Anything with an MG/Triumph badge, old Marinas, Ford scrap - and Beetles. Do the words 'narrow' and 'horizon' ring true here?

Yours

Herbert ****er

Maestro-Montego Drivers Guild International.

Having a classic myself,a 1965 E-Type, I would suggest that the enthusiasts who in reality create classics by their devotion to a marque or type are often motivated by the ability to tinker with said vehicle. In pre-1970's cars, this is not a problem. As engine management technology has advanced over the last 30 odd years, the ability for the enthusiastic amateur to get involved in the maintenance of his own car has declined proportionately.

All the parts for my Jag are easily available & I can fit most of them myself. ECU's for even quite recently produced cars are no longer made & the technology to repair them is rare & expensive.

I suspect that taking the amateur mechanics out of the equation will limit the appeal of a lot of vehicles to most people. The question will then become "Do I like this toy enough to have it constantly dealer-serviced?".

I agree, I have a 64' Jaguar S-type and work on a variety of old british cars and I too have wondered a bit as to what the future holds for auto hobby enthusiast. I can't imagine someone restoring a BMW Z3 from the ground up due to all the electronics involved...then again who'd ever think I'd show up to a car show and see someone entering an early 80's K-car? (You remember those fine cars from Chrysler now don't you?;-)

• 3 months later...

[ QUOTE ]

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the Fiat Coupe. Fast, fun and a good looking if you can find one that has not been thrashed to b*ggery hold on to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, an assured classic. Has all the elements to make it a classic. Confusion over the derigner, Bangle (yes - Chris of BMW fame!) not Pinninfarina. Hand asembled by Pinninfarina. 220bhp and excellent attention to detail for design such as the filler cap, colour coded metal interior. A fantastic car 169144-ok.gif

• 2 weeks later...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, an assured classic. Has all the elements to make it a classic. Confusion over the derigner, Bangle (yes - Chris of BMW fame!) not Pinninfarina. Hand asembled by Pinninfarina. 220bhp and excellent attention to detail for design such as the filler cap, colour coded metal interior. A fantastic car 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Like this smile.gif

post-511-137914312393_thumb.jpg

Fiat Coupe - you think?? Nice motor but a lot of them, if not most that i seem to see are owned by guys in their late 20's who've been allowed to buy them at last by their wives/mums and also insurance companies and are trashed and crashed! I saw one the other day, bright yellow (obviously!) with a red door! I remember patchwork cars from when I was younger - old Metros etc but not a Fiat Coupe!

Maybe the Turbo model they did with the Brembo brakes in 1999. Don't know a lot about them to be honest though!

What about a Vauxhall VX220?

[ QUOTE ]

Lotus Carlton a Classic Already. Also A E30 M3 and E28 M5.

The R32 will be a classic in the VW cricles but not much anywhere else.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I have to disagree; VW's did noting for me until the R32 came about. In the last week the car has been at AmD getting fixed (don't ask), but on Thursday and Friday I had the SL65. Absolute riot to drive, but on Friday night I got the R back. I couldn't think of anything else I would rather be driving (and that is even with the stock exhaust), absolute barrrel of fun, and a sure classic in my eyes!

Corrado Storm?

My mate just paid £7.5k for an N reg model with 110k on the clock - surely this kind of money for such a car would make it a classic! I know the value doesn't make it a classic - but this type of money?!?! Crazy!!

Ring ding ding ding.........

I remember the rallies with the quattros when I was younger, great to watch before they started moving towards the smaller hatchbacks with 2.0 turbo engines.

My wife agrees with you Matt, that I have too many cars so the V6 Galant and the MGB have to go....nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!