Starting Issues!

snnr1984

Hi all,

My names sach, new to dis site. Been lookin around age for a decent technical forum, and i hope i found it here!

I put my query forward to all you technical wizards.

I hav an Audi A4 1.9TDI SE(90BHP), 98 S reg, with 133k on the clock.

Runs like a dream, but i have 2 problems currently buggin me. Firstly starting from cold, i get a funny tapping sound from engine for first 5 seconds after start up.

And secondly, the car needs to be cranked longer to start it, when its hot!!

Any ideas??

Any help is much appreciated.

Sach notworthy.gif

Welcome to Tyresmoke Sach!

I had a '98 (P) A3 Tdi110 - great car, but like yours, it needed cranking a bit to get it going if the engine was hot. It is my recollection that the hotter the engine was, the harder it could be to start, whereas starting from cold, the engine would always fire on the first or second turn of the starter. So, this may be normal for that car. I should add that mine never failed to start - just toook some effort when hot sometimes.

On the cold start front, the noise _may_ be the normal tappet rattle you get on startup - it generally lasts a few seconds until there is a good supply of oil running round the hydraulic tappets. If you don't get the noise on warm/hot starts, then I would suspect this to be the cause. It's something even the mighty S3 suffers from !

If you get the noise on all starts - even if you only stop the engine for a few seconds, then I'm not so sure. It might be worth having one of the dealer service guys have a listen to see if he thinks there's anything to worry about. They shouldn't charge you for that.

Trev