Home Cinema Advice

Bison1379134007

Bison, make sure u get a good amp and check the reviews for each one of them on the net, amps that we reckon are good might be absolutly shite compared to others that we could have bought. Also very important is to have it demo'd preferably with the speaker package that u go for.

With regards to speakers, depends on how much u wanna spend and what size u want them? Do u mind large speakers or do u wanna go for a more discreet look? Ive got the KEF Home Theatre (Eggs) and comes as a complete package with 5 speakers and a sub see them here: KEF WEB PAGE

They are absolutly feckin awesome.!! check them out for urself.

If u want larger ones then u cant go wrong with B&W speakers. again the mutts nutts. I had these as well the sound is fantastic with superb clarity and bass. Just have a demo and decide.

Good luck

OOOo so much advice and on a saturday night too! smile.gif

see the only reason i was opting out for the active sub straight off is a) i live in a flat and it being uber loud isn't an option b) the m74's come with a nice bass cone in them which a lot of fronts don't (apperently).

m74.jpg

i guess i might add one later but they do seem uber costly...

re the amp: I think the denon is supposed to be a goond un... it seems to support all the latest stuff like pro logic 2 and DTS-ES (6.1) and way more output than i could ever use per channel! smile.gif

oh plus im getting it pretty cheap which is a bonus! let me know if i should be looking at something else though! i was orginally gonna get the denon 1603 so its a step up from that anyhow...

and its only supposed to be ya basic setup i don't wanna spend 2 grand! crazy.gif

Bison i reckon the Denon is a excellent amp!! plus as you say it has Pro Logic II which is supposed to be excellent for non 5.1 stuff i.e TV/Music etc!! and plus all the latest surround options and good video inputs. smashfreakB.gif

Speaker wise a speaker package would be easier...especially for a flat. The kef eggs would be nice but perhaps the Mission FS2-AV Speaker System?? thats about £400 plus a couple of stands? (TBH the sub isn't too loud on them)

However also understand where your coming from!! i reckon the m74 might be better musically aswell...for rears could get another set of mission's M7DS BIPOLAR Surround jobbies they do sound very nice!!! plus if you get this they could equally sound better in a larger room later on! where you could add a quality sub later and would also really put use to that nice amp!! notworthy.gif

Bison you'd be good to get a demo!!! Around london try Seven Oaks (grays Inn, Finchley), Hi-Fi Experiance (Tott Ct. Rd) Audio-T (Enfield,Hampsted) or Musical Images in Covent Garden and elsewhere)once you like what you hear go online and order the cheapeast!! or try for a price match..though sometimes better paying xtra for better service!

Me and My cous just setup all the demo's in one weekend before hand and done the lot! we demo'd the 603's and they were good!! but ended up going for £700 Mission 782's! smashfreakB.gif big jump i know!! Flush.gif

Bison... yes, the B&W's are damn fine... infact that's what I've got, but you're not talking the same range as what you're looking at... I've got the 3802 with the B&W's, s2, and a REL q150e and yes they are nice, and they go nicely with the Denon, but the Mission's, denon's are also tried and tested combination... smile.gif

A bunch of people I/you know have that pairing and are quite happy with it, a demo is definately best, but you'll be happy with those... the 2802 is WAY better than the 1603.

I'd hold fire on a sub, but do consider getting one... they are an integral part, and you can pickup something like the paradigm ps1000 fairly cheaply and get a LOT of kick from it.

You'll need to spend some time with the setup too, ideally with an spl meter.. the delay and channel volumes make a big difference when setup/not setup correctly.

As for the rears, depends where you're sitting with them, if you're backs against a wall wink.gif then you should consider some dipolar/bipolar rears, if you can make space behind you then get some m71's or similar on a coupls of decent speaker stands...

Hmm, perhaps when some decent small speakers come out wink.gif Kef eggs arent bad, but still dont think they match big speakers, the new smallish B&W's are nice, havent heard them, but i much prefer the sound from big speakers with lots of bass and a sub to underpin it, rather than having a sub doing the mid bass and sounding very directional...

I can't get big speakers past the wife, so those stylish little B&W VM1's are atop my list of stuff to get. Probably a bit out of the price range Bison was thinking of though.

The Kef eggs are obviously a matter of personal taste. Personally, I don't like the look of 'em - no matter how good the supposedly are.

Cheers for the replies...

gaunty OF COURSE they are shag pad speakers!! smile.gif you shouldn't expect anything less from me...

match the shag pad sofa smile.gif

230157828.jpg

[ QUOTE ]

You'll need to spend some time with the setup too, ideally with an spl meter.. the delay and channel volumes make a big difference when setup/not setup correctly.

[/ QUOTE ]

so a few beers and you can come and set it up? mkay? smile.gif

think i'll stick with the m74is for now then..

[ QUOTE ]

So im thinking about:

Denon 2802 amp

Mission M74I front speakers

Mission M72C centre speakers

[/ QUOTE ]

I went for the 2802 with KEF KHT2005 speakers. Awesome!!

The KEFs are the small egg speakers but have fantastic sound - they're made from aluminium I think. You get a 150w sub with the package as well.

Definitely recommend it

Bison

For ultimate small speakers IMHO try anthony gallo .

I have the micro's and they are excellent, for more information and more answers than you can shake a stick at, visit avforums

Denon is good stuff, but a new Denon receiver 3803 out next week probably why old stuff going cheap.

Also next week in Bristol is the sound&vision show - just a thought.