'Perfect Finish' - Unrealistic?

NickClements

Have a 2 week old ebony A4. Also have an extensive collection of meguiars cleaning products (which I'm very happy with). I had thought I had done everything to avoid swirling the paint, but apparently not.

Was gutted to spot on Friday in the sun that the car had a collection of swirl marks. How realistic is it that these can be completely avoided?

Can it be something to do with my technique? I'm using the 2 bucket method, being VERY careful when washing (gold class/lambswool) and drying (microfibre drying towel). Have done a full 3 stage (clean, polish, gold class wax) and have topped up after every wash with quick wax.

Anyway, what's the best way to:

1. Get rid of those swirls - go for a 3 stage again and scratchX if necessary?

2. Keep them off the car in the first place?

Honestly folks, I've been ULTRA careful. Washed it 4 times in 2 weeks (two of those washes the car had two buckets of mags gold class). Have a separate sponge for the wheels, and rinse the 2nd 'rinsing' bucket before and during doing the lower valances. Oh, and finally, I'm not using a power washer.

Bushy - expect another order soon (ScratchX frown.gif).

I think its just a feature of dark pearlescent paint finishes.

When I was ordering my car there was a Moro Blue TT in the dealership which looked fabulous and which made me go with Moro, but even that, which was brand new unregistered and sat in the showroom, had swirl marks in the paint under the bright showroom lights...

Last night I Waxed the front half of my car, a full wash and only had time for waxing the front. Will do the rear half and roof later this week!

The Manual says only use water to wash the car unless you feel it is required. Oh and it says use plenty of water! So I now have one new sponge and use the hose on the car at all times when using the sponge. Not a swirl in sight! OK so its not even 2 weeks old yet!

I used Rain X on the windows, number plates, Side repeaters, front and rear lights and exterior mirrors last night and it has not rained since!

I just can not take my eyes off him - calling him a him and not a she! Just can not think of a name for him yet.... LOL grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I had thought I had done everything to avoid swirling the paint, but apparently not.

Was gutted to spot on Friday in the sun that the car had a collection of swirl marks. How realistic is it that these can be completely avoided?

[/ QUOTE ]

Put it this way, your car sits there for an afternoon and gets covered in a layer of dust and fine grit. Then you get in your car and hurtle down the motorway at 70mph... okay, nearer 90mph. Thats 90mph winds whistling over all that grit and rolling it across your paintwork.

Get the picture? Yep, swirl marks will appear unless you shrink wrap your car in plastic and put it in storage. But even then, when your car arrives in this country, it arrives covered in something called 'hard wax'. If you were to see the car on the boat, this hard wax looks like somebody has smeared toothpaste all over the car. When the car gets to the showroom they take it off, and it is hard work to get off. Just how carefull do you think they are in avoiding swirl marks at the dealership?

your car will have some swirl marks before you even get it. It's impossible to avoid them completely.

No, but it will after doing the Autobahn @ 280+ KMH... trust me... FIREdevil.gif

Anyways, I'd advise a cleaner before resorting to Scratch-X. The milder the better... If the cleaner doesn't work, use Scratch-X.

Keep the towels and wash mitt clean of course (some even remove the labels, but I haven't bothered with the Meguiars towels, sice they're pretty soft), and never use fabric softner (doesn't scratch, but renders them useless).

wow, i am truly humbled notworthy.gif

had the car for 2 weeks and already waxed it in one case and washed it 4 times in another.

me - had it 6weeks; in that time it has been valeted twice [within a week 10 days ago last] and had to trips to the jetwash prior to this.

due for its first hand wash on saturday - i really am a slob with my car it seems wink.gifslap.gif