When was the facelift on the X5

18ME

Facelift was late 2003 for the 2004MY. Biggest seller is the 3.0d, now with 369 lb ft, basically the uprated engine from the new shape [september 2003] 530d. Major upgrade in the 4x4 drivetrain. As far as I recall the interior was indeed revised.

Ian C

No worries. I prefer the original grille myself, the 2004 looks weird and distorted. Unlike BMW to make a facelift worse; the revised E46 is sublime in my eyes. Trust you to go for the classic 286 bhp 4.4 Martin! 60 in 7.5 seconds is plain bonkers for an automatic 2250 kg monster. Bear in mind the 2004 gets a version of the uprated 740 engine, 320 bhp, shaves another half second from the 60 dash. Then the current 3.0d has as much torque as the E39 M5. Decisions....

Ian C

• 4 weeks later...

Ok Gareth, which model have you ordered? (can't be bothered looking on BM3W at the mo) I imagine its the 4.8iS grin.gif

I've changed my mind about getting anything when the M3's gone until next year now but have you compared the Cayenne to the X5?

Martin

I tried nearly all the SUV's in nearly all their engine types before going for the X5.

Included (in no particular order) ;

1. VW Touraeg 3.2V6/4.2V8 and 2.5Tdi

2. Porsche Cayenne 3.2V6 and 4.5S

3. Volvo XC90 (ahem..sorry EEK2.GIF)

4. Merc ML55 AMG

5. Lexus RX-300

6. Jeep Grand Cherokee

7. Range Rover 4.4 and 3.0TD

8. BMW X3

9. BMW X5 3.0 petrol and diesel/4.4 sport/4.6iS and the new 4.8is

Ended up with the X5 4.4 Sport Facelift which I will run until I swap for a 4.8 in the near year...well that's the plan !! sekret.gif

IMO the X5 is the best SUV out there and the new shape one is such a suberb piece of kit and vastly superior to the old shape and everyrhing else on the market now..as for the Cayenne the handling is not a patch on the X5 and it still looks like a dog with a slapped arse suicide.gifices_blah.gif

What do you do for a living Gareth? a professional test driver grin.gif

I can't seem to get that much time off to test that many cars, the only cars I've driven are the Cayenne Turbo and the Grand Cherokee 4.7V8 (had one last year, or perhaps the year before). I've been in the Toureg but only in the back at the outdoor event at the B'ham Motorshow, although I wouldn't mind having a blast in the V10.

Won't you lose a bucket load on the current X5 when you change to the 4.8?

• 11 months later...

Be cautious guys with the 3.0D with the Auto Box (which to hold residual is the only way to have it) - As with the 530D Auto, it has an awful hesitation @ junctions when you pull off again - can't make it's mind up which gear to go in - Not nice - ends up thumping into 1st and you at best end up looking like a crap driver. At worst, you pull out too late in front of someone. TEST DRIVE ONE FIRST & YOU'LL SEE ! BMW Germany are aware of the "Characteristic" (you know the one they tell you about when you're ordering a new car !!!!), but there are no current plans to sort out the software apparently according to their engineer ????????????