Warranty Invalid if Using your car on Track Days!

Moff S3

In this motnhs EVO magazine there was aa very interesting and shocking article that will hit a nerve of all of you out there that enjoy your cars performance on Track Days.

<BEGIN RANT>

EVO contacted most manufacturers and they were told that a manufacturer will not honour your warranty if they think your car was used on a track. This obviously only covers things like Brake Discs, Clutches (not covered anyway!) and turbo's etc.

Before you say... 'they can't tell anyway' Porsche ECU's allow the mechanic to check how many times the car has hit the rev limiter ( grin.gif), how many standing starts have been completed etc etc..... ITS SHOCKING!

Manufacturers build cars such as 'S', 'M' cars, Subaru's, Porsches, Ferraris all designed and tested on a track and then don't honour the warranty if you use it properly!

I personally think it is scandalous. Subaru takes potential customers to trackdays to try their vehicles in perfect conditions (i.e a track) and then this!! confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

<RANT OVER>

So, the big question is: has anyone been refused a warranty claim because the dealer thought the car had been used on the track ?

Additionally, why are standing starts and hitting the rev limiter restricted to track usage. I often spool mine up to a heady 4500rpm red-line from a standing start in first and second. Of course, it's a diesel, so no-one in their right mind is going to think I take in on a track wink.gif

The whole point of this story was that an M3 owner needed a new gearbox or something and BMW have refused because he had done some track days...I have read stories of International Motors (the official Sabaru importer or whatever they are called) going to Subaru track days and getting reg numbers to invalidate warranties - this was on a thread on Scoobynet...