Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Snail

Stereo removal keys

52 posts in this topic

Shame that they are not always used for legitimate reasons FIREdevil.gif

Still they can buy the lot there in one go. fekr.gif's

I've sent 2 emails to this company to ask if the Audi removal keys will work on the DVD Nav+ unit as it's not listed on the compatible units. First email was over a week ago and had no reply at all despite an automated acknowledgement ensuring a reply within 24 hours.

They've just lost my business!

Russ.

Halfords sell them @ £2.99 a pair, work fine with all audi units including Nav+, you need the one marked Euro key or similar.

[ QUOTE ]

Halfords sell them @ £2.99 a pair

[/ QUOTE ]

Just picked up two pairs... 3.99 rather than 2.99 though (just for info). Haven't got the guys to try them yet as car is only a couple of days old and I want to be 100% confident there are no faults before I start hacking away at it, otherwise the dealer might turn round and blame me.

Iv used a hacksaw blade thats blunt snapped into 2! Job done! Tho i would reconmend a trip to Halfords!

[ QUOTE ]

Haven't got the guys to try them yet

[/ QUOTE ]

BAD typo here... this is meant to say "Haven't got the GUTS to try them yet"... the typo makes it look like I'm waiting for a team of people to do it for me smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Halfords sell them @ £2.99 a pair, work fine with all audi units including Nav+, you need the one marked Euro key or similar.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've spent the last two hours trying to get the Nav+ unit out of the Audi using the Euro keys from Halfords and I've come to the conclusion that they don't work. No matter how hard I push (and believe me I pushed far harder than I wanted to!) they don't "click" in to place, and when removing them they do one of two things - either just pulls traight out (without the stereo!) or get jammed and take considerable effort of pulling and twisting to remove them.

They worked fine for the TV module in the boot but will not get the Nav+ out of the dashboard.

So - I popped to the local Audi garage and they said that the DVD Nav+ does need special Audi-only keys conveniently priced at £23 for four. So, I have a set on order and will be getting them on Wednesday!

Russ.

Buy the flat kenwood keys for £3.99 a pair and using a pair of tin snips, cut an acute diagonal off each end. I found that my halfords supplied kenwood removal keys worked a treat on my sat nav +, but my mate had to do the diag cut /| to get them to work on his original S4 radio &a sat nav+ upgrade he bough of ebay.

Symphony 2 seems to have the same problem, I was told the Halfords keys would work, but like RusselFray I eventually gave up for fear of damaging the stereo. Ended up getting set from Vag Parts which worked first time.

On inspection the Halfords keys had bent the catch that releases the stereo !!!

Thats the 'Tool T10057 Audi radio removal' at 9.95 plus VAT yes?

Justy making sure before I order smashfreakB.gif

Aren't the first and last ones the same? grin.gif

They don't look to be the right ones but the middle link looks ok - I may send the guy an email to enquire.

Cheers beerchug.gif

They are the VW Beetle radio removal keys.. blush.gif

Part ...A1C0 051 530.....they come as a pair [L&R] @ £6.46

cheers.... beerchug.gifbeerchug.gif

Thats them "Tool T10057 Audi radio removal", advantage being these don't rip your fingers to shreds unlike the halfords set I had.

Middle set on E-bay looks the same as the set I got from Haldords, first & second look completely different !!

Can recommend VAG parts as anything I've ordered has been delivered when they said.

My thoughts too tbh. The Vag parts ones have got the nice rubber / plastic handles on them that may keep my skin in one piece grin.gif

true , just double checked, i now some are the same,

how do i remove a concert headunit if i've damaged the holding pins!! I've tried the damn keys but they just wont work!!

[ QUOTE ]

how do i remove a concert headunit if i've damaged the holding pins!! I've tried the damn keys but they just wont work!!

[/ QUOTE ]

this happened to me and i ended up getting a new unit because the front pulled off the concert unit:( . your best bet is to put the keys back in and ease it out as far as you can and then try to slide a thin strip of metal down the side to push the bent pins back it wont be easy but good luck

What car have you got???

If it is a B6 A4, first slide the trim off around the top so you can get somthing behind the unit.

If it is something else,I would prize the front of the unit off (it will come off and still be usable, it connects to the actual head unit with a single connector) this will allow you to push the clips out the way with a screwdriver, and then just snap them off completely before you put it back in.

Or you can remove the sides of the centre console but it is quite a big job.