Recall A4, A6, & A8's

SneakyMcC

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got my letter the other day. Will be going to see the Hitchin Stealer tomorrow, and book it in.

No grumbling from mine, only tyre noise.

I have noticed on eBay, that these FRONT LOWER ARMS are the same as fitted to the Passat, and are always available on eBay. Seems to be a popular part, as they always get many bids????

I don't suppose it is worth the dealer not doing the work, as they will still get paid for it by Audi, just no 100% profit on the parts, labour will be paid.

Where's Martinn??? Perhaps he can shed some more light on this topic for us???? beerchug.gif

Re the LPG conversion. I did it all myself fairly straight forward to fit, hardest part was drilling and tapping the inlet manifold, but slowly does it with plenty of grease. The kit was supplied by LPG-kits.co.uk (this is not a recommendation - disclaimer forum policy?)for about £1300 for the OMVL Dream XX1 injection system. The hardest and still not sorted is the calibration tweeking, idle is poor, but once someone has done it the setup data file can be posted on the above website. The company will calibrate and inspect final job for a small fee.

The allroader is such a good deal new at the moment. I started looking a 2-3 yr old motors but I can buy better specs, new off the web for not much more!!!

post-5442-137914282434_thumb.jpg

[ QUOTE ]

Yonks ago, I think it was Shao Khan that posted about a recall/inspection concerning 'Front Bearing Arms'

I called and emailed Audi Uk about this and they made like there was nowt happening. This morning, 6mths(?) later, I receive the notification to take the car to a centre (if I want to UHOH7.GIF). smashfreakB.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't receive any letters but I phoned Audi and they told me that my A4 is affected (manufactured late 99).

I had it inspected last week and everything's clear. No problems. smile.gif

Some dealers might say, if its been serviced then everything should be ok, there's no need for them to inspect it. But I had to be very sure they're not just saying that, so I had mine inspected by a different dealer.

Just spoken to leicester audi and booked my A6 in for the 23rd. They say that the repair is free, as long as the vehicle is below 120,000 miles, and it has a full service history. They didn't say that it had to be a full Audi service history. I've just had mine serviced by the non-Audi garage I bought it from 18 months ago. Sods law says that they won't class that as a proper service, though I'll argue the toss.

Its the bottom suspension arms that are affected. Ball joints on the ends wear, and its a 5 minute job to inspect the car; if they find that they need replacing, they'll book it in for a further visit, as theres quite a demand for the arms at the moment, and they may not have any in stock at the time of the inspection.

Fingers crossed...

[ QUOTE ]

Just spoken to leicester audi and booked my A6 in for the 23rd. They say that the repair is free, as long as the vehicle is below 120,000 miles, and it has a full service history. They didn't say that it had to be a full Audi service history. I've just had mine serviced by the non-Audi garage I bought it from 18 months ago. Sods law says that they won't class that as a proper service, though I'll argue the toss.

Its the bottom suspension arms that are affected. Ball joints on the ends wear, and its a 5 minute job to inspect the car; if they find that they need replacing, they'll book it in for a further visit, as theres quite a demand for the arms at the moment, and they may not have any in stock at the time of the inspection.

Fingers crossed...

[/ QUOTE ]

BGR!!! im about 70k above that...........just gotta dig out my service history now.

My letter arrived on my doormat this morning which caught me off guard as I never expected a "recall" on a 1996 car. My A4 has 126k on the clock and has been serviced up to the point I bought it a year ago although I dont have a book just a print out of all the times it was done. Should I be concerned as I really dont have the money for an expensive repair and a "free check" doesnt mean free fixing. Anyone had theirs done for free?

I have just booked my 195K mile A8 in for September 28th! The Audi garage is soooo busy at the mo. This is the one in Hitchin. The St Albans one shut down, so the surrounding ones get the business and are REALLY busy as a result.

Anyone fancy opening a dealer ship in St Albans with me? I reckon I could sell a few cars.............!

they know how many miles mine has, as they service it and work on it, so will have all the details. They did not mention the mileage bit.

Hi everyone, I have just had my car inspected and control arm replaced free at Martins in Basingstoke. For the record I have a car with 100K and a patchy service history. They changed a genuine audi arm which was about 15 months old which looked fine i.e. ball joint rubber gaiter intact but, not surprisingly, would not change a europarts pattern arm which was about 12m old which had no rubber anymore. Surprisingly the replaced ball was really loose so I believe water was entering through the top due to hard inflexible rubber. I have now got a replacement for the europarts item (from GS&F) they looked at the Audi arm and said it was stamped with the name of a 'poor' manufacturer...?? and flogged me an arm which was better, believe what you will.

The recall for the link arms is to check if there is any play i the ball joint of the lower straight link arm and at the same time check the other link arms. If there is play in the ball joint of the stright link arm and the car has been serviced properly for the last two years then it will be replaced under warranty, but if the car has not been serviced properly in the last two years then you will have to pay for the replacement. To check if there is play in the ball joint you can't just try shacking the wheel as you will not feel it this way, you have to use a large set of grips and squeeze the ball joint from top to bottom, if there is play you will see the ball joint go in and out of the link arm slightly. The other link arms are not covered under warranty so if there is a problem with them you will have to pay for the replacment of them.

The creeking noise from the link arms will be the bushes which will cause no harm to the driving of the car just be annoying and will not be coverd under warranty.

Well, mine went in today, and came out all clear. That said, most of my front suspension has been replaced anyway.

Would have been a nightmare if i had got a problem, very high mileage, non-standard wheels, suspension, and non-audi dealer service history, they'd had supplied KY jelly with the bill 123576-assfeck.giffrown.gif

• 2 weeks later...

My A6 went in yesterday. They say that after inspecting both bottom arms, that they both need replacing. They are also going to replace both drop links for the front anti-roll bar, as these are also badly worn. I'll have to pay for the drop links, but not the labour, nor the labour or costs of the two new arms.

Its 3 weeks before they can see it though, due to the workload at the garage.

The additional drop links are £33 each, so it'll be another tonne spent on the A6, but if it finally cures the 'orrible noises from the front suspension I'll be happy. They said that they have to take the drop links off anyway, so they inspect them as a matter of course.

Clonks when I go over bumps, speed ramps etc, orrible noises when I'm travelling in first gear over rough ground, usually with the trailer on the back. Play in the steering rack/wheel, or at least feedback suggesting play in the suspension. She also tramlines quite badly.

I don't suppose they'll check the tracking when she's put back together. I've a badly worn OSF tyre, and all the others are OK. Mind you, the tyre wear could be down to me drifting it round rounadbouts of course.

• 3 weeks later...

Took the A6 in this morning for the rework. I'll let you know how I got on when I go to collect her this afternoon. Hopefully they wont drive it in to any walls this time.

I have an A2 1.4 TDi as a courtesy car. WoW! The acceleration is awesome, for a 1.4 Diesel. Neck braking stuff.