1996 E36 Alarm interface

PeteCongreve

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Pete, I was wondering how you got on with your alarm ? I have a 1991 E36 4dr 320i and have installed an aftermarket alarm. I have found all the wires I need apart from the central locking ones. I also cant seem to find the 12 pin factory plug but I did find the central locking control box within the dash. This is under the drivers side of the dash and has three plugs coming out of it. The larger white one is a 26 pin connector and aparrently you need to hook up to pins 24 and 25. The following link may help.

http://www.autotoys.com/New_Tech/Misc_Info/balarm/body_balarm.htm

I have not been game enough yet to start soldering to the curcuit board so if by any chance you have found an easier way please do let me know. The diagram for pulsing the lock/unlock should help you anyway.

Cheers,

Oliver

Hello people,

I happen to be in the car security game so heres what you got to do. behind the glovebox positioned in the middle of that rack type thing is a black box with three plugs on the front, disconnect the centre plug i cant remember what colour it is but its defo that one. unclip the outer casing of the plug and slide the block and wires out, if you look very closely you will see the pins are numbered on the block. you need wires 4 and 17 but theres one catch, theres only one pin with a wire, you have to put a wire in the one thats missing and that gives you your two locking wires. when the shell of the plug is back on the wire wont move so dont worry to much just put a cable tie round the wires to keep them tight. one final thing, you have to put a diode on the door sense wire coming off the alarm other wise you will have backfeed from the alarm and the car will lock but wont unlock. any other niggles just ask... 169144-ok.gif

Thanks for all the help folks, pins 4 and 17 do the trick, needs a 2 diode arrangement to stop the lock feeding back to unlock, and the reverse for unlock.

I got a scrap plug from a breaker and used the pin from that, so if anyone wants the remaining connectors, drop me an email.

Cheers.

Pete.

• 1 month later...

Its my first time here so dont know what im doing, i have recently fitted a central locking alarm and it locks when i arm the alarm but it doesnt unlock when i disarm. i read on here that you have to put a diode somewhere, i need to know which kind of diode, where to get it from and where exaclty i need to put it on,

thanx in advance

Hi Hassan

First things first, you can buy a diode from any tidy electrical repair place or an audio place around your area, its only got to be about as thick as the wire, i cant remember the part number so a small one will do, you can either use one for all doors or one for each door it depends on how you want it. first thing you have to do is solder the diode to the door trigger wire of the ALARM then solder two or four wires to the other end of the diode/s to connect to the door wires of the car depending on how many doors you have, the silver band on the diode has to face away from the ALARM trigger wire ( i think ) otherwise the locking will be fine but the alarm wont go off, if this happens turn the diode/s around and all will be fine ( appologies in advance for those people who read this and put the diodes the wrong way and wanted to kill me, its not my fault, im GINGER and WELSH..)

fekr.gif

• 2 months later...

I have 1994 E36 318i and have been trying to install an alarm. I followed your instructions about using pins 4 and 17 (with diodes)on the yellow centre plug for the remote locking with no results. The pins appear to have no voltage on them and seem to affect the interior light operation. When I remove the plug the central locking is disabled so I think I have the right plug. Can anyone help with determining exactly which plug and wires trigger the central locking. I would also like to know whether the connections should go to ground for the trigger or have a positive voltage on them. My alarm trigger goes to ground but I can change this with a relay. I would appreciate any help.

• 3 months later...

I read somewhere that there is a lock and unlock pin (24/25 on older models and 4/17 on post 95 models). However to activate the double lock you have to pulse lock and unlock together. To do that you need the diode circuit to ensure no feedback to the alarm box. So the question: is pin 4 lock and pin 17 unlock. Will my car double lock if i pulse these at the same time? Cheers

• 1 month later...

Im trying to wire a alarm to my e36. It is not prewired for alarm. Im only want to get remote controlled central locking to work. The rest is not to important. When I apply +12v on pin 14 it locks. But to unlock I have to do more than +12v on pin 17, i have to trigger pin 17 and then pin 18. What am i doing wrong ? I do not understand how the states should be. Please help me! best regards Filip

• 3 years later...

noticed this post about the alarms and the box behind the glove box.

i am currently changing the engine in my 318is to a 2.5. the 318 doesnt have central remote locking or an alarm but the 323 im taking the engine from is fitted with a factory alarm and romote locking. if i dont install the alarm and just dont plug it in because the wiring problems will get serious and i have enough to go through will the engine still start or is it linked direct to the alarm ????? please help

thanks a lot