Golf GTi Mk3 Rough running and fault code

stuartjw

The Haynes manual is absolutely rubbish when checking timing marks. It has quite a few pictures but non of engine code AGG. I could not find where the timing marks are. Are they easy to view on the crankshaft or is it a bit of a chew on taking the cover off. Is it OK to set the Camshaft to TDC markings and check that the flywheel lines up on the gear box housing? I dont think it will be the Woodruf key as I have found out to be exactly one tooth out on the Distributor would be highly unlikely and that the disstribuotr would probably not exactly line up but be in between teeth.

Can anyone also tell me where the distributor is driven from - Is it the crankshaft or an auxilary shaft? How can it become out of alignment when doing the timing belt? Again the Haynes manual is pants (Well for me anyway). It tries to cover too many engine codes.

The car is running so much better and it is very smooth through the rev range. Also according to the trip computer it is returning roughly 8-9 MPG better than previous.

Thanks again.

[ QUOTE ]

Can anyone also tell me where the distributor is driven from - Is it the crankshaft or an auxilary shaft? How can it become out of alignment when doing the timing belt?

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I remember confused.gif its driven from the aux shaft [which also drives the oil pump from the same gear..down to oil pump & up to the disi] shocked.gif

the timing belt drives the camshaft & the aux shaft.

on the 8v engine (as the disi is driven off the aux) the aux shaft has a timing mark which must be set at the same time as the cam & crank marks are being set grin.gif

on the 16v engines the aux is only driving the oil pump so it doesn't matter where it is..[the disi is driven by one of the camshafts] crazy.gif

cheers 169144-ok.gif

OK - Still not quite over now. I took the car to a local garage who my whole family has used for about 6 years. I told him that I just wanted the timing checked out as I didnt think it was right.

I took it down this afternoon and they had a look. I mentioned the woodruf key and they said they doubted it very much. Anyway the timing was out - The camshaft was apparently 3 teeth out so they removed the belt and realigned it and replaced the belt. They told me not to worry about the woodruf key.

Now am I right to presume if the belt had been fitted correctly and the key has sheared 3 teeth and they have moved the belt back to the original timing marks that the engine would run like a dog because it isnt. It is a lot smoother - I was running on optimax two weeks ago and when I filled it up with premium it was pinking quite a bit. They changed the timing and it no longer pinks. It does run a lot better too.

Should I be worried about the possibility of the Woodruf key being a problem or would it not have sheared this far - ie 3 teeth.

Thanks again.

Stuart

• 4 years later...

Hi all - new to this forum!

I've got a mk3 golf 1.8 ('94) with the same problems as stuartjw. The cambelt was done 50k ago by VW (70k interval), and the distributer was replaced by VW this year sometime. Not sure on the engine code - will check when its not wet and dark outside!!

A question if I can! Where is the camshaft sensor - does it mean the hall effect on the distributor?

Cheers

James

• 2 years later...

Hi

I had that fault and after trying everything,, I moved the distributor timing slightly to the right. My timing mark always had the rotor arm slightly to the left of it, the camshaft and crankshaft marks were ok but rotor arm always slightly off to the left. After trying to get it dead on I tried moving it to the right slightly. Hey presto ! Perfect revved right pas 5k and smooth as you like.