Look what I did today...

auR32

[ QUOTE ]

You lucky git, cmon give us a write up on what you thought about the stripped out cars, power etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

heh. ok, I'll tell ya!

The cars are from Europe somewhere, but there has been a lot of development here to get them competitive in the GTP category. They're allowed certain engine/suspension etc modifications, and the car is totally stripped out, but it does have the factory dash.

If you have a look in my gallery, you'll see a couple of shots of the engine bay, and that the car has a different intake manifold to the road car. Apparently, there are only about 3 of these manifolds in existance, and they cost some thousands of euro's each. I didn't take a direct photo of it, but the intake air is picked up from the bumper duct and routed through a modified Toureg airbox sitting where the battery is in our cars.

With the open exhaust and cams (and the stuff they didn't tell us about) the engine makes ~300bhp. Gearbox is apparently standard, not sure about diff mods or ratios, it sits on 17's so the gearing is going to be lower than standard anyway.

The suspension has got big, fat, meaty Bilstein dampers, big negative camber on the front and a bit less on the rear. Brakes _look_ reasonably standard apart from slotted rotors and trick pads.

As you would expect the whole car is very professionally presented and prepared. It sits quite low.

After we handed over the bit of paper signing our lives away, we got to sit beside Tim Lehey for a tour of his office job smile.gif On cold tyres, the car slipped into the first corner, but after that it was glued to the road! The acceleration is way above the road car, and the noise is fantastic! If you've watched any of the rounds on TV, you will have seen the late braking antics of the R32's especially Paul Stokell, and I have to say it is quite exciting to be in a car and still on the gas well past where you would have thrown out the anchors if you were driving. Very smooth into the corners, then onto the gas again. Rinse, repeat.

I could feel stuff happening under my backside, and I'm not sure if it was the haldex negotiating the grip or the actions of a trick diff. Unfortunately, no-one asked about either, so it's a mystery at the moment. Anyway, no wild slides or wheelspin. Occasionally twitchy, especially in off-camber situations, but our driver never looked like losing it.

Still grinning smile.gif

Michael

So Michael,

Now that you've admitted our addiction to speed and also started "modding" your car with the parking lights... Where is it going to stop? smile.gif

Also - you didn't mention the stoppers. Are the brakes merely uprated from standard (ie. drilled/slotted with different pads), or have they gone the whole hog with Alcon, Brembo or some other brake kits? The second photo of the three on Vortex suggest relatively standard.

Hi Rachel,

Addicted to speed? me? smile.gif

The stoppers look standard, I think they are, apart from the rotors and fancy pads. They've disabled the electronics and boost from what I heard, and they're trying to get better brakes approved by the race organisers.

Yea, those parking lights are a real go-fast addition, worth at least a couple of horsepower at parking speeds smile.gif As for the mods, I have to admit to the flapper mod as well. No idea where it will stop, or even if it will stop. 169144-ok.gif

Regards,

Michael

Looks like you had a great time mate.

I was told they actually sourced the cars from Japan. Sebastian aka BugRacer on Vortex is one of the lead mechanics for the team and posts in the Aussie vortex section quite often. I was asking him all sorts of questions via MSN last time he was on and he mentioned the cars were sourced from Japan. As for the brakes he said they were running Pagid pads. He has also done some custom head work to the cars and offered to do the same to mine but I'm not prepared to go that far just yet. I'm sure if you msg Seb he will be happy to answer anymore questions you might have.

Cheers Alastair