VW Touareg W12 Sport

Paul

Purposely put here so everyone can see, as i know i for one, do not view the VW forums...

This looks Lovely.....

001__scaled_600_035.jpg

[ QUOTE ]

And now, the world's most exclusive sports utility vehicle in this form is making its début at the same place: the Touareg W12 Sport, initially available as a limited edition only. The 331 KW / 450 hp special-class SUV, which reaches 250 km/h (electronically limited, speedometer up to 300 km/h) was designed by Volkswagen Individual. The combination of the twelve-cylinder engine, air-suspension running gear and all-wheel drive is currently unique throughout the world.

The unusual driving performance, such as acceleration from 0 to 100 km/h in 5.9 seconds, are impressive, but are not necessarily in the foreground. It is more the way it moves – which is superior in every respect – that makes the Touareg W12 Sport appeal to a very sophisticated clientele. The maximum torque of 600 Newton metres applied by the 6.0 litre twelve-cylinder ensures that the Touareg can produce almost inexhaustible reserves of strength both on and off road. The petrol engine, which is classified under the EU4 standard, has a six-speed automatic transmission (Tiptronic).

[/ QUOTE ]

Linky to original article..

now that is one beauty! Gotta love the 6.0l 450Bhp W12 engine ECLIPSe.gifEEK2.GIF ... dribble ...

I would love one if :

A.I could afford to buy one

B.Owned an oil refinery.

Fear the fuel economy. suicide.gif

[ QUOTE ]

The combination of the twelve-cylinder engine, air-suspension running gear and all-wheel drive is currently unique throughout the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, perhaps in a SUV, but not totally unique! I can think of better ways to get air suspension, AWD and 6 litres of 12-cylinder goodness.

[ QUOTE ]

I could live with that instead of a series 3 landy 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear that! Does anyone know the situation with the weight of this engine compaired to the V10? I know you can get both in the Phaeton. But is the W12 heavier or lighter than the V10? Just wondering as that would probably affect the off road performance.

...or am I just talking dung.gif ? wink.gif

Sorry to be the dissenting voice but it looks as awful as it is pointless! An offroad vehicle that gets to 60mph in five and a bit, useful... smashfreakB.gif

Sorry, but if you want an offroader, buy an offroader, if you want a performance car then buy that instead, at least there's a fair chance it'll corner and stop as well as it goes! NONO3.GIF

Gotta agree with Ari. Every company that makes a 4x4 does a "sport" special edition, yet with the exception of maybe a cayenne and an X5, i wouldn't want to attempt to drive a sport 4x4 sportily, for fear of rolling it.

I had a race from the lights the other day with a suzuki vitara "sport", and its about as fast as my car........FFS its a "sport", and can only just keep up with a 2 ton 90BHP tractor, how is that sporty? [/rant]

[ QUOTE ]

Gotta agree with Ari. Every company that makes a 4x4 does a "sport" special edition, yet with the exception of maybe a cayenne and an X5, i wouldn't want to attempt to drive a sport 4x4 sportily, for fear of rolling it.

I had a race from the lights the other day with a suzuki vitara "sport", and its about as fast as my car........FFS its a "sport", and can only just keep up with a 2 ton 90BHP tractor, how is that sporty? [/rant]

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif If something is badged 'sport' then I totally agree it should be sporty ! Thats why you're right to exclude the Cayenne, in Turbo form that car lapped the Top Gear test track with a time identical to the E46 M3 Coupe shocked.gif That is one off roader that can certainly go around corners 169144-ok.gif

grin.gif as the the Touareg W12 - looks pretty enough, by that I mean better looking than the Cayenne and would probably sell better than the Phaeton tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Sorry to be the dissenting voice but it looks as awful as it is pointless! An offroad vehicle that gets to 60mph in five and a bit, useful...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, but they [prospective owners] probably question why you spent quite so much on a 1.8 litre fwd car. I hate off roaders, although the 2000 X5 4.4 Sport is the exception to this rule. Even so, if I needed spacious, comfortable and fast transport, I would take a serious Audi Avant everytime. Then again, I am slightly biased!

Ian C

This all assumes that the potential buyers are buying it for any reason other than because it has big numbers assoicated with it and it's bigger than the other cars on the road. I suspect that most Porsche Cayenne Turbo drivers haven't used half of the vehicles capability, but drive it because, a) they can win car top trumps with their mates down the pub, and b) because they can bully their way through town easier than in an S-class or 7-series. On this score the Toureg is spot on. Who cares that it has 40-series tyres and would struggle of road. Only off roading it's going to do is on the gravel drive or parked on a grass verge. There is a market for this car, but not with anyone that calls themselves a car enthusiast. [/2p]

[ QUOTE ]

Sorry to be the dissenting voice but it looks as awful as it is pointless! An offroad vehicle that gets to 60mph in five and a bit, useful... smashfreakB.gif

Sorry, but if you want an offroader, buy an offroader, if you want a performance car then buy that instead, at least there's a fair chance it'll corner and stop as well as it goes! NONO3.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to buy cars on some combination of looks and performance.

It doesn't really matter to me whether they're called an "off roader", "4x4", "Avant" or "R32" wink.gif.

I personally think the Touareg is a good looking vehicle - especially in black. Much better looking than the Cayenne, and slightly better looking than the X5.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Touareg, Cayenne and X5 can brake from 60 as fast, if not faster than your cab Ari. Just 'cos the majority of cheapo off-roaders have the brakes of an old mini and leaf-spring suspension doesn't mean that all of them behave like that.

At the end of the day, people buy cars for all sorts of reasons, and not just for the pigeon-holes that the manufacturers/press stick the car in. For many it's a lifestyle decision; for some (like me) it's based on certain capabilities and looks, and for others it is simply to do a job. A W12 Touareg may seem pointless and ugly to you, but you try getting a big TV in your boot or towing a car/boat/etc or driving onto building sites every day. You might not choose a "4x4" (whatever that is), but I doubt that you would choose the cab either.

To follow your argument to its logical conclusion, why do any of us need a car that can do over 75mph or get to 60 in under 30seconds, or have a roof that you can take off ? We don't, but the manufacturers produce such vehicles and stimulate demand by sexing up the image of them so that we think we must have one. People then make their choice about which of those vehicles fits best with what they want out of life.

• 2 weeks later...

[ QUOTE ]

An offroad vehicle that gets to 60mph in five and a bit, useful... smashfreakB.gif Sorry, but if you want an offroader, buy an offroader, if you want a performance car then buy that instead

[/ QUOTE ]

know where you are coming from Ari (eg the new Freelander Sport with 18" wheels and lowered suspension - well why raise the bloody suspension in the first place?)

but there may come a time when I have a family and only have space/practicality for one car and I want something practical, safe and relatively quick so I don't feel like I am getting too old

a Cayenne turbo that looks like that Toerag would be perfect

• 4 weeks later...

Newby here. Couldn't resist commenting on this thread.

It always amazes me how so many of us can be so critical of the automotive decisions made by others. NONO3.GIF

Really interesting debate though.

The last two posts seem about right to me...

[ QUOTE ]

To follow your argument to its logical conclusion, why do any of us need a car that can do over 75mph or get to 60 in under 30seconds, or have a roof that you can take off ? We don't, but the manufacturers produce such vehicles and stimulate demand by sexing up the image of them so that we think we must have one. People then make their choice about which of those vehicles fits best with what they want out of life.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

but there may come a time when I have a family and only have space/practicality for one car and I want something practical, safe and relatively quick so I don't feel like I am getting too old

a Cayenne turbo that looks like that Toerag would be perfect

[/ QUOTE ]

We all have our reasons for buying our cars, and although those reasons may not be obvious at first glance to others, they must be fairly important as few people stumble upon their next car, especially when we're talking new (or nearly new) prestiege 4x4 money!!

I feel as though I really can comment having just picked up a similar car myself only yesterday. We went for an ML though - it was my wife's birthday present and thought it only right she picked. smlove2.gif

Having a young family, I want the two most important things in my life to be in the very best place that I can get them in. In our case that's an ML. For others it's somewhere else.

Parting thought...

Before I'd even read this thread I'd been musing over an odd thought - don't lock me up just yet!! If the world went mad (and by all accounts it looks like it might!!), and because of some big-scale catastrophe (for that read: nuclear/biological accident/attack), I need to get my nearest and dearest as far away from the epicentre as possible, what car would I choose?

Toss between VW Touareg V10 TDi and Porsche Cayenne Turbo for me. The Porka should get me further faster (just). The Dub should get me further without re-fuelling (just).

Our ML will do nicely though until I can move into the next league though.

Where would you want you and yours to be? Leave you to ponder...

Welcome to Tyresmoke BobbyDazzler!

Interesting you chose the ML - I've been thinking about having one off and on for the past three or four years, but other than a test drive, just haven't gone anywhere except thought.

To me, the ML had more space and class than a BMW X5, although the X5 was certainly fun to drive.

At a guess I'd say you weren't from the UK, but if you really had to get out of the thought situation you described, then much as I dislike them, a Land Rover Discovery would be more than appropriate (see if you can get a copy of BBC's Top Gear which was broadcast last night - they drove a Disovery to the top of a Scottish mountain - I doubt the ML or X5 could do that, although perhaps the Touareg might smile.gif)

Back to you thought experiment, I think it would probably have to be the V10 Touareg for me. After all, where are you going to get a bit of road on which you can drive the Cayenne at full speed - especially if everyone else is trying to vacate the area too!

Cheers s4dreamer!!

I probably sound American with all that stuff about biological attacks although I'm not far from Birmigham (England, not Alabhama!!)

Clarkson didn't seem to rate the Disco (or is that LR3?) as a family car, but seemed to love it off road. It was impressive, but I dread the cost to put right all that electrickery if it ever goes wrong out of warranty!! Probably still less effective than a Defender off-road too!!

ML didn't do too well on Top Gear J D Power survey, but I had expected that, as early US built cars have some quality issues, and everyone I spoke to said if you can stretch to it, get a late Austrian built car as no issues at all. If I spent £40k on a car and had quality issues, I'd get one of those questionnaires and voice my opinion!!

...trouble with J D Power is that only people that are chuffed or gutted about the car can be bothered to take part!!

We're pleased with our ML. Several friends have them and speak highly. One had an X5 beforehand, and he said the X5 is certainly a better car, but only just, and doesn't warrant the extra money - big difference when second-hand or nearly new.

This was my thought process:

Cayenne V6

Bad: Expensive, thirsty, no diesel, very snotty local dealer

Good: Rare-ish, interior, ...it's a Porsche!!

X5 D

Bad: How much!!??, very snotty local dealer

Good: Looks, interior, engine, dynamics

Discovery (new model)

Bad: Expensive, servicing cost, no chance of a nearly new, long term depreciation

Good: New diesel engine, ages before replacement

ML

Bad: Quality issues on early US built cars, due for replacement soon-ish

Good: Relatively cheap, relatively easy to find, facelift looks good, cheap insurance, practical for family

Blimey!! Long post!!