VW polo 1.4 16v '97 GEAR CHANGE PROBLEM

martin9aj

Could be a number of things to be honest.

The Polo GTI has a very common well versed problem with gear selection and mine is no excepetion. Slightly less common in the other models though.

To start with providing the car isn't slipping ie the clutch doesn't appear to be worn too much I'd get a clutch cable replaced. This has helped drastically on my Polo and is by far the cheapest thing to do to try and correct the issue.

Then if this doesn't help you'll be needing to look at the clutch mechanism and operation. Any local dealer or garage should be able to point out things that it could be.

Hope this helps a little.

Well like I said the cable could be quiet stretched or even kinked which would lead to bad gear selection. Another thing to look out for is engine movement. If your engine stabilisers are worn, when you accelerator or deccelerate the engine moves and may move more than it should resulting in loss of proper meshing of the gearbox. Not so common now a days, more in the old days with my mini's 169144-ok.gif

• 2 weeks later...

It may be that there's a worn bush in the gear linkage. AFIAK it's only the GTi boxes that are prone to colapsing. I'm guessing it's not the peddal box as they normaly go on the break peddal. (Well that's where my pedal box went and they were known to go on mk4s when given some stick.)

• 10 months later...

Hi,

Im having a similar problem with my '97 Polo 16v. Except I can select the gears fine its just that they grind a bit in 3rd,4th and 5th and there is a groaning sound that comes from the box. I personally think I need a new box. But I thought why replace it with the same box? I was wondering if the Lupo GTI 6 speed box fitted in? Any suggestions or ideas would be great. Cheers

Kush

• 5 years later...

Yes, my brother also had the same problem with his 2000 VW Polo and the Clutch Cable ended up coming off. I guess it's just a Clucth Cable problem, in which case it's not too expensive. You can pick up a clutch cable from German and Swedish *Google them - for about £15 and about £40-£50 to install it. Don't let any doggy mechanic tell you it's the gearbox or Clutch itself. Hope this helps! :)