Alarm problems

markcnash

Can anyone help ?

When I lock my car (Passat TDi 2001) if arms as per norm then one hour later every time the alarm goes off then resets its self

Its more of a problem when I get back from work late (11pm) then I wake the street at 12

Also about the same time this started the boot buton on my remote stoped working ?

smashfreakB.gif

Have you tried resetting the key fob. There should be instruction in the log book thingy. If it's not that, try using the spare key and see if that has any effect. It might be worth checking to see if all the doors are locking properly too. I have had problems with faulty door locks, and I know other that have too. Good luck 169144-ok.gif

Oh! and in case you were wondering a new key from VAG costs around £150.00 a snip I'm sure you will agree SAUER0421.GIF

You might have a faulty sensor in the glovebox light or boot light. If the light stays on for a while it will drain the battery enough after an hour or so to confuse the alarm into thinking somone is interfering with it.

Could also be: phone charger left plugged in; bluetooth GPS reciever plugged in to boot 12v socket; map light left on etc.

• 11 months later...

Hi markcnash, if you find the answer to your passat alarm problem I would be pleased to hear it.

I have just bought a VW Passat TDi 130 Estate in Black 2001

51 plate and I have the same problem, after locking the car, about one hour later the damn alarm goes off for no reason. The tailgate can still be opened with the remote control, so its not quite the same in that respect.

I have been advised to remove the fuse, or disconnect the wire from the siren to disable the alarm. I think that the deadlocks would not be affected by doing this.

I understand that the siren is located in the bulkhead near the windscreed wipers but i'm not sure how to get at it, perhaps someone in the forum can help.

Hi, i have a Passat 2001 130 TDI. Been in the wiper area to drain some brake fluid off and to change the cabin filter. Never noticed the siren for the alarm.

I will have another look when i get a minute, see where its hiding. Never had any alarm problems on mine but its still nice to know where these parts are smile.gif

The alarm/siren unit can cause the alarm to go off like you describe, when the Horn/siren is faulty it sends a signal to the alarm control unit and set off the siren.

If you have VAG.COM

and if you can read "measuring block" 01 in Central Convenents Unit, if the last number is 16 then the horn/siren is faulty.

If you want to gain access to the Horn siren you have to remove the battery (blue arrow) and to the left of the battery area there should be a small black unit that is your horn/siren (red arrow)

535284-passat.JPG

post-9393-137914323919_thumb.jpg

This is a common problem with VW....mine (1.8T tip) did the same thing over xams last year.....it just kept going off...i got VW assistance to come out and do a check....it more likely a bonnect pin switch problem.....or a case of the siren maybe faulty...since VW do know about this get them to fix it if its under warrenty or as a gesture of good will! make a fuss if you have to!

I seem to have solved my Passat alarm problem by cleaning the contact to the siren, it may have been loose or dirty.

Well finger crossed, its still early days.

Mulkbear's post shows you how to reach it, but don't forget to make sure you have your radio code before you disconnect the battery.

It would seem that any bad contact in the alarm system will cause problems. Good Luck. chas939.

My wife's Feb 1998 Passat Sport TDi Estate purchased in 2001 had an alarm that had been disabled by the supplying VW dealer. I understand that these early Passat models were not fitted with the alarm system at the Factory but were supplied as a Votex kit for fitting by the dealer. I had the system looked at by another VW dealer who checked the small socket in the nearside luggage compartment with the key supplied with the car and also the module that is beneath the gear stick gaiter that from memory has a sensitivity adjuster screw on the side.

The service guy said these kits were not very good and in his opinion were best left disabled as they were prone to keeping you awake! We took the advice living in a low crime area. All the other functions relating to central locking etc have been totally reliable.

Has anyone found a fix for these kits and when did the alarm become a 'factory fit' item?